When does the clock start ticking?

Default When does the clock start ticking?

From one hive:
    May 6th- found capped q-cell and several uncapped (made nuc)
    May 12th- swarm #1 (caught)
    May 14th- Swarm #2 (flew off)

So my question is-- when do you start the clock for a new queen for remaining bees left in parent hive? The 6th, 12th, 14th?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: When does the clock start ticking?

When you made the nuc did you transfer the queen? If so the 1st was with a virgin and so was the second two days later. Did you check the hive after the second swarm to see if there was still a capped cell or two, Or find a virgin queen. If there was a queen left she should bee laying between the 27th and the 2 of June.

Nuc did not include the original queen, just q-cells. I believe the queen was in the swarm #1, I say this because swarm #1 was laying eggs within 10-11 days after swarm in new single deep.

I did not check the parent hive after swarm #2, I probably should have, but it was aggressive at that point and I figured I just needed to give it some time. 16 days after swarm #2, there were no eggs or brood of any kind in the the parent hive. 17 days (today), I found a queen in the parent hive but still no eggs, zero.

So when is the most likely hatch date for this queen, if that can be ascertained? Thanks

Let's see now.... we had a hive swarm in the outyard,,,luckily we were there and caught it!!,,,,,,on May 2nd. I checked and found 2 really nice Q cells. Three weeks later, last week, we found eggs and small larva.

One of my home hives swarmed on the 10th (caught that one, too). Checked them this weekend but no eggs yet. I did not check every frame. The bees have cells cleaned and ready for her, and seem happy, so I am not worried yet about them going queenless. Having said that, I gave them a frame with eggs just so I can check next Sunday to see if they start cells.

So around three weeks or so seems about right. As Tenbears said, the 27th on.