HELP! Wrong frames in brood box.

Default HELP! Wrong frames in brood box.

Okay so I made my first ohhh crappp! I was gifted my hive and got it in my head somewhere it was medium frame. Well I was wrong. I ordered my medium nuc and in the excitement of getting bees I put the frames in without even realizing my mistake, well I noticed comb on the bottom and just scraped it off not even thinking. Long story short a week after my last inspection and now I have comb from the bottom of the medium frame all the way down and connected to the brood box with healthy living brood. what should I do? Scrape it off while the season is still young and place the frames in my super? Or just leave it? Any advice would be great.

Thank you so much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: HELP! Wrong frames in brood box.

I'm no expert but I would probably leave it. Just add the desired box/frame size on top as you go and hopefully, towards winter, they will have moved up out of it and you can then clean it up as you see fit without the substantial loss of brood.

I assume they are deep boxes. Order deep framez and cut bottom off and rubber band in deep frames. Then order a med box for your 5 med frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Jecsd1 View Post
    I'm no expert but I would probably leave it. Just add the desired box/frame size on top as you go and hopefully, towards winter, they will have moved up out of it and you can then clean it up as you see fit without the substantial loss of brood.
    Thank you! Only problem is I can't inspect the brood or queen. When I pull a frame I tear apart the bottom comb. Learned that when I pulled the first frame. Will it be detrimental to my hive if I cut off the brood that are all ready laid. What I'm thinking is I can buy a medium frame brood box transfer them to the new box and just have that as my bottom. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin89 View Post
    Thank you! Only problem is I can't inspect the brood or queen. When I pull a frame I tear apart the bottom comb. Learned that when I pulled the first frame. Will it be detrimental to my hive if I cut off the brood that are all ready laid. What I'm thinking is I can buy a medium frame brood box transfer them to the new box and just have that as my bottom. Any thoughts?
    I think the chances of you being able to scrape brood comb off without damaging a large percentage of the brood ar slim to none. I personally would leave it. It's up to you though.

Surely someone wiser than I will be along shortly to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jecsd1 View Post
    I think the chances of you being able to scrape brood comb off without damaging a large percentage of the brood ar slim to none. I personally would leave it. It's up to you though.

Surely someone wiser than I will be along shortly to help.
    Good point. Hopefully I will be able to fix it somehow.

I do it with shallows in deeps all the time, when I am short frames, I rarely have them connect them. Leave them and see if they re-connect. Then as said above get the right size equipment and fix it when allowed too. Rotate the frames to the outside as you add deeps and cull them or wait until the bottom added section is broodless.
    sc-bee

If you have someone to help you, try to slide and pull a thin wire (piano type or maybe even fishing line) between the bottom board and hive body. This might be an option if you are wanting to save the come that is attached to the bottom of the frames. However I can't say I have tried this

Quote Originally Posted by pinkpantherbeekeeper View Post
    If you have someone to help you
    I have found this to be a great help in my hobby, and that's where the bee club comes into play. BTW: at the meetings everyone raises their hand to come help, but when the rubber hits the road, very few are actually willing or have the time. I have helped many, and have a few who are willing to come help me when needed.

I like the idea of lifting the box just a little and using a wire to free the bottom. I was going to say that the extra comb, if drone comb -- my bees love to build drone comb this time of year when i don't give them foundation -- can be part of your IPM. Someone on here (Is it Rusty?) puts foundation in the middle of the frame and lets the bees build drone comb on the two sides to cut out mite filled drone comb.

You can do all that and move the smaller frames to the outside of the hive till the bees are no longer using it as brood comb, then move it up to a medium super. A little bit of work, but very manageable.
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

How about just laying some thin strips of wood on the top bars below, and when they attach the comb to the strips, they lift out with strips attached but no connection to the top bar.

wait the 9 days for them to hatch out and hopefully get to it before the queen lays in there again and scrape it off..