adding 2nd brood box and cross comb trouble

Default adding 2nd brood box and cross comb trouble

Hive info: 2 months old, 8 frame, Italian, screened bottom, feeding whole time, brood box 100% full of brood, pollen, sugar-water honey, not much for pollen pants but we have lots of flowers and weeds

So a week or so ago, I added the second brood box to my new hive. The foundationless frames were about 70% drawn and I added the second box on top (also foundationless). I inspected it today, and the bees are building up from the bottom instead of hanging the comb from the top. Most of them were in the same direction as the frames, but in the middle of two frames because it is connected to the comb from the frames below. One comb (the biggest--hand sized) was sideways and on two frames. I have scraped off burr comb and took the bigger pieces and rubber banded them between the frames (just sugar water honey, no brood yet) but am worried about them doing this again.

Which option should I take:

1) Wait a week and see what happens
    2) Put the new box on the bottom so that they can't connect them as easily
    3) Move a few (or every other) full frames to the new box so they have a guide and move an empty frame down to the old box
    4) I have a few wax foundations for cut comb (was only planning on using an inch for a guide comb on shallow supers). Should I try to add it to all or some of the empty frames despite the fact that I have no wire and no real idea of how to wire it.

I would really like to keep the brood boxes foundation-less because I have read that it is healthier for the bees, and I live in the middle of nowhere and can't get foundation for at least a week.

HELP!! (Please and thank you!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: adding 2nd brood box and cross comb trouble

I would keep doing what you have done, but also, move a frame that is drawn, up from the bottom box into the new top box, to give them a guide and ladder frame. Put it near the center, and move an undrawn down just off from center into the bottom box between two drawn frames. Keep watch on them, and as they get frames drawn, checkerboard in undrawn frames between two drawn frames. As they get more drawn, it'll go faster and easier with less work from you.

Or yes, checkerboard 2-3 frames from the bottom box to top box as you said, undrawn between drawn.
    Live real time bee chat, most evenings...
    https://www.rumbletalk.com/client/chat.php?4%40HY_hmJ

Default Re: adding 2nd brood box and cross comb trouble

Quote Originally Posted by niki.nicole View Post
    . Which option should I take:

1) Wait a week and see what happens
    2) Put the new box on the bottom so that they can't connect them as easily
    3) Move a few (or every other) full frames to the new box so they have a guide and move an empty frame down to the old box
    4) I have a few wax foundations for cut comb (was only planning on using an inch for a guide comb on shallow supers). Should I try to add it to all or some of the empty frames despite the fact that I have no wire and no real idea of how to wire it.
    I would pull up a couple of drawn frames. I would not put undrawn foundationless frames next to an uncapped frame of nectar. I would put the frames as close together as you can in the middle of the box leaving any extra space on the outside. (I assume that your frames are already pushed tightly together.) Once all the frames are drawn, you can space out frames of foundationless in a honey super. But I try to use plastic foundation, rather than foundationless, in honey supers because they hold up a little better in the extractor and the larger cell sizes are not an issue there.
    David Matlock