Transporting bees back-n-forth

Default Transporting bees back-n-forth

Those of you that have more than one bee yard, how do you transport bees back and fourth if needed? Do you carry your frames in nuc size boxes? I was thinking of making a nuc with screened Windows for ventilation. Adding a carry strap and maybe a screened bottom. Just so they don't over heat. I have a hive at a friend's house got 5 at my house and I'm starting a new location that can have 20. I'm just trying to figure out how to get bees around if I needed to help out other hives or grab 3 frames to bring home so I can start a new nuc. Looking for ideas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Transporting bees back-n-forth

If they are baby bees in a nuc, don't they have to ride facing backwards, and not in the front seat?

Enj.

build a shaker box - then you can move what ya want

Quote Originally Posted by sakhoney View Post
    build a shaker box - then you can move what ya want
    What is a shaker box, never heard of it.

Knew it was coming - OK take a deep box and add 1 inch shims to the bottom - then with hardware cloth - I don't remember the size but bees cannot pass through it - make it fit the bottom of the box - then with another set of shims - I use 3/8 - same ones I use on my bottom board - and permanently attach the screen to the bottom of the box. Now make another just like a telescoping top frame with the same screen/hardware cloth. Put your frames of brood in this and they keep until you get where your going - The guys that buy brood transports the brood in boxes like this. With the extra length added to the box - its for extra room for extra nurse bees that you shake into the box.
    Now if you want to pull brood - Attach a QE to the bottom of a medium - Take frames of brood and shake the bees in the medium - and put the frame in your shaker box and throw on the lid. after you get several frames shaken through the QE and into the shaker box below - add the shaken frames of brood to the box - now look in the medium for the queen and return her to the hive - take the frames to where you making up your nucs and install 2 frames with the extra hanging bees into a box - install a cell and feeder - instant nuc

I have done this with nucs, two story nucs, and single sized bee boxes. How I did it was, attach the bottom board to the bottom of the first box with pieces of wood and wood screws. Then I put a piece of window screen at the entrance instead of an entrance reducer with a few screws as well. I have disc entrances in the middle of the nucs that you can set so that there are ventilation holes but bees can't get in and out but it some air goes through. You don't have to have the disc entrances but I like them. You can strap the top cover down with a ratchet strap or duct tape it down thoroughly. I usually do the move at the end of the day when it's cooler and the bees have just come home for the night. Make sure that the boxes can't tip over and that they are secure. You will get the hang of it. On this one I screwed the cover right to the box with a couple of inch and a half screws. The baby seat in this case is a little flipped over skid.
    Moving Bees 2016.jpg

I just have a 4 frame nuc with the bottom stapled on. it is made so that 4 frames fit in and there is no room beyond that so they do not slide or rack during transport. If I need to take a frame of brood someplace I simply place one frame of brood and the rest empty frames.
    But I Have transported them as far as 20 miles in the back seat of my car with no special packing. just leaned up against the seat.

I once transported 3 frame of broods using a standard deep.
    Rachet strap a piece of foam onto the deep hive with a piece of window #8 wire screen
    over the box. The foam is easy to cut and act as a shim. The bottom is all solid board.
    To prevent the frames from moving I hammer in a small nail next to the frame rest on either
    side. Easy to transport!
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

I don't move frames. Except for in splits, In a nuc form. I use a modify DC coats nuc box. Solid wood for ends and bottom and plywood for sides. Of witch ever thickness I find cheap. A couple peice of duck tape and go. I Move more hives at times,in the winter. Nucs are to build up a yard into full hives.

Shaker Box can be as simple as a box with drawen frames. Queen excluder then a empty box. Remove frame of bees shake on top of empty box. Or thump it on top of the box. And so on queen excluder is to help keep the queen out of the new box. All so a good way to find a hard to find queen.

Hahahaha!! Coffee on the screen again![QUOTE=enjambres;1426873]If they are baby bees in a nuc, don't they have to ride facing backwards, and not in the front seat?

A swarm box works great for moving around a few frame of bees.

I transported two double nucs last weekend and will move three or four more next weekend. It is a 2 hour trip. The way I do it I am sure it will work for larger hives. I made screen tops and put them on the afternoon before. They already have screen bottoms. Then after dark I close them up and place a strap around them. Move them to the truck bed and leave the next morning. Last week the temps were 65 degrees when I started and 78 when I got to the location. they were fine. Thought it was going to be warmer.

If I had to move double deeps when it was 90 degrees I would probably use the same setup except place an extra empty deep on top. Not sure if it would be needed, but would add a little insurance. That would be if I was traveling a great distance. This summer I will be moving full hives between cotton and beans and will probably just slap a screen top on them and go, as it is only 20 minute trips.

I transport nucs and deep hives using only a piece of #8 hardware cloth folded and pushed into the opening.When I sit them where I want I just pull the folded hardware cloth out and put it in the box with the others to be used again on the next move.

1/8 mesh wedged in or if it's nice and cool I have closed them up with masking tape. Talking nucs. Bigger colonies or when it's hot, make sure they have plenty of ventilation. I try not to move hives much if at all possible. But relocating stuff between yards becomes inevitable.

Sometimes it is easiest to screen them in after dark and then move them at first light so you're not jacking around in the dark.

I just transport in my swarm /bait box. It is the size of a deep 10 fr box and has vent holes on the top. I live in the desert so I have been able to keep the bees in the truck bed, but as temps rise above 90-95 I will put them in the cab when moving. My dilemma is how to transport complete hives? Here possibly the next month I will be receiving 1-3 hives from someone that wants to remove them and I need to take the entire hive. Less than 5 mile move, but closing or containing them in their hive will be a challenge...any ideas? Anyone?

Bob I do the same thing with bait hives.I use regular 10 frame boxes with a bottom board nailed on.I go just before dark and while all the bees are inside I put in my folded #8 hardware cloth and put them in the back of the truck.Then just sit another one back in its place.Then take the swarm home or to a different out yard.