New Beekeeper in Massachusetts

Default New Beekeeper in Massachusetts

Hello All,

I just got into beekeeping this Spring after reading "Beekeeping for Dummies". I was a little late to the game, but a local apiary could still get me a bee package, so I rushed out and got a hive and got all my preparations done in time for the bee arrival. The bees are doing well so far and I have enjoyed learning all about them.

I'm interested in finding a mentor (online here or in a local club) who is familiar with this region and can advise on natural beekeeping techniques. I just read "Save the Bees with Natural Backyard Hives" that had some interesting theories on colony health and would like to put some of their recommendations into practice, but I'm not sure some of them are appropriate for our region. I'm not primarily interested in maximizing honey production, but rather want to have more pollinators around for my garden and fruit trees and an ample supply of local honey for personal allergy relief, plus some for friends and neighbors.

I'm in Middlesex county but border with Worcester county and have visited the web pages for both clubs. Does anyone have any advice on which one is more closely aligned with my needs? I see the Middlesex club has an online member forum which I view as a plus as my schedule probably won't allow regular meeting attendance.

Thanks for any suggestions!

-Ryan

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: New Beekeeper in Massachusetts

Welcome to BeeSource and good luck this year. Find the closest club and join. You'll probably find a mentor that way faster than any other way.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

There is a thread started by Bob J titled Colony update in MA you can follow, they have been giving local updates, he is in Quincy and Marshfield.

Thanks adson. I'll follow that thread.

Try Norfolk County Beekeepers the meetings are at Norfolk Aggie in Walpole and alot of members are close by to you including me.
    Think about it....Buy American

Thanks Spark. I'll take a look at that club too. And look up where Walpole is...

Oh, Walpole is so easy to spot. Just look where all the wild bees are flying tomorrow afternoon, because... that's where will be Tom Seeley, pre-eminent bee researcher and great story teller. He has a new book coming out, "Following the Wild Bees: The Craft and Science of Bee Hunting" and will be speaking at the Walpole Public Library, 143 School Street on Wednesday 5/25/16 at 7PM. http://www.walpolelibraryfriends.org...bees_basic.pdf

Id try the plymouth county bee club, Excellent , or Middlesex county club.

Welcome Ryan!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

Try Worcester County Beekeepers Assoc., take their bee school next year

Quote Originally Posted by mike martel View Post
    Id try Middlesex county club.
    Hopkinton is in Middlesex County, http://www.middlesexcountybeekeepers.org and we're having our first outdoor meeting and hive opening this Saturday 5/28, 1-3pm, 40 Beaver Pond Road, Lincoln. You're welcome to attend. I do the club's newsletter and help with the online forum - it just went live. PM me your email and I'll send you the most recent newsletter.

However, the Worcector County Beekeepers may be a little closer to you: http://worcestercountybeekeepers.com/ for a lot of meetings and bee school - but as you said in your original post if you can't make them, please consider Middlesex. I highly recommend it.

Good luck with your bees...

Tony P.
    Last edited by toekneepea; 05-26-2016 at 10:51 AM.
    There must be a harder way to do that... let me find it for you.

And you should definitely come to Mass Bee Field Day on Saturday, June 18th - Best bee day ever!! http://www.massbee.org. You can even order from the major vendors and pick up at the field day and save on shipping.