Hived swarm - need to move them

Default Hived swarm - need to move them

Hello Beeks! Caught a swarm last week & kept in Nuc waiting for hive to arrive. Moved the girls into Hive at Nuc loc'n. yesterday afternoon - they are doing well - have pulled out 2 frames w/brood, pollen honey & nicely building on add'l. frames. They are also taking some syrup from top mount feeder. My question & concern now is this..... I need to move the hive within the yard (about 150') to other 2 hives. How much time do I need to give them to resettle before I move them again? My other concern is that, since it's a short move, I plan to close up hive, move them at night & keep them locked in for 48 + hrs. (bottom board out for ventilation), then open hive with branches in front of entrance so they will reorientate themselves. Day temps. are starting to rise here (NW GA) and will be in the high 80's if I wait til later this week to move them. (Low 80's thru Wed). Am I overthinking this??? Don't want to move too soon, but have only been doing this 1 year. - your ideas welcome : )

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hived swarm - need to move them

Quote Originally Posted by JBirdBees View Post
    your ideas welcome : )
    I would not leave them trapped in the hive after the move. If I still used screened bottom boards, I would not open it with a new swarm until they were well settled into their new home.
    David. The way you want to keep bees is most likely at least as good as any way that I could suggest. Probably better.

I second the no trapped inside of hive. I prop a board in front of the hive so they have to go out in another direction. 2 days later you can move the board and you are good to go.

I was concerned with trapping them in & I would rather not so Thank You. I do have screened bottom boards but was only considering sliding the plastic bottom back a bit for ventilation (which is on top of the screened board), but don't think I'll lock them in. tks

Thank You for that info!! The board idea is different than what I've read about using tree branch filled with leaves, etc. - but your idea sounds great b/c they can still get out but they obviously know somethings changed. So what size board do you use? (I have a bottom entrance with the entrance reducer on, so opening is only 3-1/4"" wide (+-). Wondering how high above the opening I should prop the board & how much open space do I allow bet. board & hive body? Guessing you've had multiple successes? (Sorry for all the questions - just an "overthinking bee mom" ; )

A few inches above and a few inches in front, like a hive cover leaning against a landing board. Or a branch. Or a cardboard box. Or nothing. Don't leave a box where the nuc was, and the bees will figure it out. You're not overthinking, you're just thinking. Congratulations on catching the swarm. Enjoy the bees.
    David. The way you want to keep bees is most likely at least as good as any way that I could suggest. Probably better.

What river said. The last time I did it I had a deadout and used the top cover leaned up against the front of the hive.

Thumbs Up Re: Hived swarm - need to move them

Thanks David! Will definitely try that! Also, I decided to give them some time to settle in where they are before I move them again - but when we do, I shall definitely do as you suggested ; ) Wishing you are Great Bee season

Quote Originally Posted by Riverderwent View Post
    A few inches above and a few inches in front, like a hive cover leaning against a landing board. Or a branch. Or a cardboard box. Or nothing. Don't leave a box where the nuc was, and the bees will figure it out. You're not overthinking, you're just thinking. Congratulations on catching the swarm. Enjoy the bees.

I have a hive I need to move also. So I do nothing to the hive in it's current location, move it at night to the new location, prop a board in front of the entrance and then a few days later remove the board and that should be it?

Quote Originally Posted by downsouthbees View Post
    I have a hive I need to move also. So I do nothing to the hive in it's current location, move it at night to the new location, prop a board in front of the entrance and then a few days later remove the board and that should be it?
    I usually use a leafy branch, but a hive cover works well for me also.

Moving colonies? It works best to move the hive 2 miles or more, leave it two weeks then move it again. Since they normally forage close to two miles radius, it is important to move beyond their foraging area so they will be forced to re-orient.

The lil girls are creatures of habit and once they are oriented to the hive they will go back to the spot and cluster on the ground if the hive is not there.

The other option is move the hive about a foot per day. Takes 150 days to go 150 feet though?