Laying worker or new queen? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Laying worker or new queen?

Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheWaterbug View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you. When I checked my new package at the 3 week mark I also saw evidence of laying worker. Per Michael Bush's recommendation I added a frame of eggs and open brood from one of my other colonies, and I'll do the same on Saturday, at the 4 weeks mark.
    Well, Saturday is fully booked, so I went in and did it this morning.

Last week's donated frame is doing well! It's covered with bees, and all the brood are capped now.

But I looked at their newly drawn frames, and the laying workers are still laying.

I took a frame of fresh eggs from a smaller colony (which I would not have thought to do without David's advice) and donated it.

I'll do this one more time, and if it doesn't fix the problem I'll just shake it out and call it a day :-(
    Painted Peacock Manor, Palos Verdes, CA

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheWaterbug View Post
    Well, Saturday is fully booked, so I went in and did it this morning.

Last week's donated frame is doing well! It's covered with bees, and all the brood are capped now.

But I looked at their newly drawn frames, and the laying workers are still laying.

I took a frame of fresh eggs from a smaller colony (which I would not have thought to do without David's advice) and donated it.

I'll do this one more time, and if it doesn't fix the problem I'll just shake it out and call it a day :-(
    So I did this two more times; once 10 days ago, and once on Sunday the 29th. I did not see any eggs during either visit. So here's the timeline:

April 17: Package installed.
    April 19: Queen released
    April 30: Laying worker eggs observed (by my 12-yr-old son, but not by me)
    May 6: Laying worker eggs observed by me. Frame 1 of eggs and brood donated.
    May 13: Laying worker eggs observed by me. Frame 2 of eggs and brood donated.
    May 21: Frame 3 of eggs and brood donated. No eggs observed.
    May 29: Frame 4 of eggs and brood donated. No eggs observed. Empty queen cell observed on previously donated frame, but unsure which one.

But on Sunday I also saw an empty queen cell on one of the frames I'd donated, either on the 6th or on the 13th, that I hadn't seen on the prior 2 visits. If they did start that on first frame (May 6th), then Sunday would have been Day 23. But I saw laying worker eggs on the 13th, so they probably wouldn't have started a queen cell that soon, correct?

If it was on the 2nd donated frame (May 13th), then Sunday would have been day 16.

According to Bush's Bee Math a queen can emerge on Day 16 2, plus they could have started on an older larva, so emergence on Day 16 is plausible, correct?

There's also a remote possibility that the queen cell already existed on the frame before I donated it. I could have missed it, but that's unlikely in my mind, because I did brush all the bees off the frame before donating, and I'm thinking I would have seen it sticking out.

In any case, I could have a virgin queen running around right now. I won't get a chance to inspect again for nearly 3 weeks, so by that time either I'll have a laying queen or else I'll have a hopeless case that I'll just shake out. Or I suppose I could have a virgin queen from Frame 4, too.

I wish I could just ask the bees what's up.

You could - by giving them one more frame of open brood. If there is a queen - including a virgin - they will not build cells on it.
    Since '09-75H-T-Z6b

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    You could - by giving them one more frame of open brood. If there is a queen - including a virgin - they will not build cells on it.
    I was out of town for two weeks, but I'm back. I just checked, and I have a queen, and she's laying!

I'm not sure whether it was worth the effort, but at least now I can save that I've done it (e.g. fixed a laying worker hive).

Thanks for the all the advice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12