Bees and Ley Lines/Electromagnetic Lines
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bees and Ley Lines/Electromagnetic Lines

I've read this article: http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/leylines.html and was wondering if anyone's heard of these lines and how they correlate with bees. Plenty of others talking about this when you google it.

Not looking to start a fight here. Would ideally like to hear from those who have had anything to do with this.

Please don't respond if all you want to do is make fun of the idea and let everyone know what you think it's goofy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bees and Ley Lines/Electromagnetic Lines

I have a beekeeping aquaintance who makes his living by renting out suburban hives. He is heavily into lay lines and is anything else non conformist, all his clients get lectures on the subjct. He called in to one of my sites so I asked him to check if the bees were in the right place. he did this walking round with divining sticks, asking them questions as he went so the sticks could give him the answer.

He said the hives were well placed, but there was a dead place where I should definately not put bees it would be no good. I did not tell him that until recently that's where the bees had been and had done extremely well.

A friend had a hive that he gave some foundationless frames to. They began to draw across the frames. Twice he cutout comb hoping they would draw correct. Having recently read this article, he turned the hive 90 degrees. They still drew wonky. No change in the bee's comb orientation to the frames.

So, no idea... It is an interesting concept though.

Quote Originally Posted by ABK View Post
    Please don't respond if all you want to do is make fun of the idea and let everyone know what you think it's goofy.
    Then I think you're on the wrong site. If you're looking for an echo chamber try elsewhere?

Also... this is nothing new:
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...y-attracted-to

I knew I could count on you to chime in with your useless 2 cents, Carlson!

P.S. didn't know you're the forum police. How useful of you to do a search for me and find a thread on the same topic that's 3 years old!

My first year of beekeeping was SO awful that when I got my new hive, I decided that I would do anything in my power to assure that I kept my bees. I had read some articles about ley lines and decided that it couldn't hurt. My husband was a building contractor in a not-so-distant past life and had watched many well contractors use divining rods. He used them as well. I asked him to show me how it was done. I was blown away as these rods crossed and unfolded without me doing a thing to them.

We walked the areas of the yard and marked where the ley lines were going and crossing. It meant that I had to move the hive about 70' from the original place. But I had no luck keeping bees there anyway so what could it hurt? We build the stand and brought the new hive in and placed it where the ley lines intersected. My one hive turned into 4 within 2 months. The bees were moving in "accidently" .... meaning that I didn't have to do a thing and was catching swarms in hives that I was just storing. They were drawing comb from everywhere (I didn't even have enough frames in these hives!). They are doing great where they are at right now, very strong and docile. Well, once I got rid of the mean hive. Am I a believer? You bet I am! I'd do it again in a heartbeat and recommend it to anyone having problems. Call me a Wacko. That would be better than a LOT of names that I have been called! And a bit witchy as well! How does it work? No clue. But I find that it does work.

Maeve

Thanks guys. Appreciate a person who's open minded enough to test something for themselves, and not just sit on their chair and criticize ideas that their stubborn mind cannot comprehend.

From what I've read on it, it seems that beehives thrive on intersections of these lines, and the more lines intersect at a point, the better for the bees. It goes opposite for humans. If your house is built on an intersection, it doesn't do you good. Don't know how it affects us exactly though.

They were also saying how oak trees happen to grow on intersections of these lines. Explains why a lot of bee trees are oak trees. But then I raise the question of how do we know if an oak tree was planted there by a person, or a squirrel, or randomly scattered from the parent tree? I guess maybe from thousands of acorns dropped every year and transported away by animals, only a small percentage germinate and begin to grow. Maybe the growers are located on ley lines? Sounds like a good idea for a graduate student project.

This is classic confirmation bias. You only want to hear from folks that will confirm your own preconception.

Pseudo-science, conspiracy theories and all the other fairy tales of the internet get mixed up the husbandry of eusocial stinging insects.

DeJong published an early paper on bee detection of the earth's magnetic field -- https://www.researchgate.net/profile...ication_detail

I've seen other papers that disagree with the DeJong findings -- that post-disturbance comb orientation is random rather than conditioned. (I'll dredge them out of my reference database and edit this post). I'll note acidly that DeJong (now in Brazil) has published a series of papers on Brazilian bees and Varroa -- whose findings no other researcher has been able to duplicate.

As for ley lines (as opposed to some detectable physical phenomenon such as magnetic fields), I believe this is clearly a quaint British mysticism that was exploited by a 1972 pop-sci book, and has been endorsed with fervor by the anti-science crowd.

Its pretty clear that arguing with the anti-science crowd over the internet is a useless endeavor.

If I want to hear from people who have had experiences with trying to locate these lines and how their bees did on them, and do not want to hear from those who point out the obvious downfalls (lack of scientific evidence supporting the claims), then what am I supposed to say? You say my request for non-believers to stay out is classic. I can say your calling my request classic is classic non-believer bias too. Those who do not believe in anything that has yet to be proven will argue to death and try to prove their point. I don't need to argue. I just want to know more information about it, and figured this is a good place to look since it's a beekeepers' forum. Things have been proven that were just a theory or mystery just a few decades ago. I wonder how stupid nonbelievers feel when they were arguing against it before.

I'm an atheist, for the record. I don't believe in karma, or energy healing or any of that crap. But I do know that animals have greater sensitivity in their senses than humans. How can a bear smell something from miles away, when I can't smell it anymore when I'm 10 feet away? I've had pet birds that felt a storm coming hours if not a day before it arrived. That's all believable, but magnetic lines? WHOA!

If these "magnetic" lines are truly magnetic, why aren't they detectable with instruments?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

These instruments are apple tree twigs!

I'm sure they are. What makes you think they aren't detectable with instruments? I'm guessing by instruments, you mean mechanical and electrical devices that would detect these waves? The twigs/coat hangers/etc are just an amplifier of our body's slight detection mechanism. Our brain doesn't realize what's happening, but our body senses it and the result is a slight change in our grip/tilt I'm guessing, of the sticks. This is what makes them begin spinning, which serves as the clue.

How do you know if you are looking for gold, water or a good spot for bees. Surely they all can't be the same.

Or is gold, water and bees only found on ley lines?

Good question. The looney ones will tell you that you just have to tell your sticks what you're looking for and they'll find it. Whether it's gold or water, etc. That is crazy. But I think what actually happens is your body senses when you walk over a crack in the earth's surface through which the electromagnetic energy "seeps out", along with water and anything else. I don't know anything about dowsing for gold. If it works, I'm sure there's a scientific explanation for it, such as electromagnetic energy or water being correlated with gold deposits.

There are so many factors that go into a hive being successful that you would be hard pressed to be able to show that ley lines have any effect. Maeve's above instance where a hive was placed 70 ft from an old spot and began to thrive. Better sun? More protected? Different year with more blooms? Different genetics in the new bees? More experience as a beekeeper? These are all things that have a proven track record of improving hives. Is there something to ley lines? Maybe but with so many other factors out there it is almost impossible to tell.

I knew I could count on you to chime in with your useless 2 cents, Carlson!

P.S. didn't know you're the forum police. How useful of you to do a search for me and find a thread on the same topic that's 3 years old!

Not looking to start a fight here.
    Really? Sure looks like you are.... 16 posts and you're starting out like this? Good luck, but I've seen folks come on here all hot and heavy like that and they're gone in no time.

Yea, I've got 5 hives under a power line. I've got another 15 plus within 60 yards of power lines as well. I'm not making fun but I do think it's goofy to be concerned about the idea. Soooo, much more to gnash teeth over than this.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Just kill this thread it's nonproductive.

You took my words out of context. Whether purposefully or not, I don't know. Seems like you critics don't have anything to say to the experienced beekeepers who have had positive results with hives on ley lines/have located ley lines.

You took my words out of context. Whether purposefully or not, I don't know. Seems like you critics don't have anything to say to the experienced beekeepers who have had positive results with hives on ley lines/have located ley lines.
    Sure that is going to happen. Plain ordinary statistics demand that it happen from time to time. That has nothing to do with the fact that there are no such things as ley lines. Slow Drone is 100% right. This thread should be killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Drone View Post
    Just kill this thread it's nonproductive.
    +1

So who's the experienced beekeeper you're talking about? Most experienced so far is Oldtimer or didn't you read what he wrote?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast