a little scientific involvement with TF bees. - Page 21
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Default Re: a little scientific involvement with TF bees.

i'm pretty sure you will figure it out leroy.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lharder View Post
    you can call me Leroy.

Re requeening, confused and a bit dazed. Don't know
    maybe the brood break over the winter gave them the time to groom them out. or they are good genetically and the mites last fall were drift..
    I would be confused as well. Any chance they re-queened, either a small swarm joining or superseded on their own? Just when you think you can predict...Thank for sharing.

I counted 100 pink eyed pupae and found 0 mites. Must be all in the drone brood.
    Interesting.
    One reason I decided for myself - I don't kill any queen by design.
    Not qualified enough to do it.
    Letting mites or winter or accidents to do it.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

I've decided to requeen still. A large proportion of my hives had fall mite counts under 10 percent, some under 5 percent and they were strong this spring. My strongest 2 year survivor was around 15 percent and is on 5 medium boxes already. This one was 2x that and not strong this spring. I am letting the 15 percenters ride if strong.

But it was neat to see this result. An illustration of how much we don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    maybe the brood break over the winter gave them the time to groom them out. or they are good genetically and the mites last fall were drift..
    I would be confused as well. Any chance they re-queened, either a small swarm joining or superseded on their own? Just when you think you can predict...Thank for sharing.
    I haven't seen any evidence of alternative explanations, but that doesn't mean they don't happen. Between last fall and spring not much chance of any of those scenarios working out. I'm sure they have mites, that it is in the drone brood, but it seems likely that they did a pretty good job of murdering mites during the winter. It isn't being overwhelmed with them at present. I have the inspector coming by in two days and she is going to do a number of sugar shakes. Maybe I'll take a few brood samples for comparison.

So the inspector came by, did sugar shakes, mites around 3 percent overall with an outlier at 6 percent and .33 if memory serves. Neglected to take brood samples at the same time. Too busy. She also took samples of what we assume are chalkbrood, but we want to know if there is foulbrood. Will also have some info on Nosema. It is around as well as EFB. Her biggest complaint was chalkbrood and that my gaps in broodnest and too much space are contributing. She thought ionizing equipment was a good idea.

I did end up removing the queen of the hive that had high mites last fall and low mites in worker brood this spring. I will go in again at the end of this week, destroy any queen cells and put in a frame with eggs/larvae, from another low mite survivor. This has been done already for another high mite hive.

great report leroy. many thanks for taking time to update us.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

She thought ionizing equipment was a good idea.
    LHarder:

Thank you for the update. Is ionizing meant to be utilizing an ozone generator? Is that a commercially-available service in your area?

I should have said irradiated. 300 k away is a facility. May have to rent a trailer.

I should have said irradiated. 300 k away is a facility. May have to rent a trailer.
    Thank you for the update.

Russ

the recent volley of posts pertaining to mike bispham's treatment free experience have been moved to his thread:

https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...nagement/page8

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021