Lip balm questions

Default Lip balm questions

I have some extra wax, and have been thinking about giving lip balm a whirl to sell at the honey stand. I would prefer to keep it simple and use only wax, coconut or almond oil, and honey for flavor. I've tried reading and reading but really cant come up with anything clear using just those ingredient's. So a couple questions; 1. which is better coconut or almond oil, 2. can yall give me some instructions, 3. I am planning on using the round tins not sure exactly what size but could yall give me an idea on the price they are selling for.

Thank you very much.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Lip balm questions

Hi,

I love to make lip balms - they turn out great. Here are my suggestions:
    Don't use honey as a flavor - it will separate, very hard to keep a good consistency - use essential oils.
    Coconut oil works great - and is cheaper than almond oil.
    Add a few drops of Vitamin E, can use the liquid capsules.
    You probably could sell the round tins for $ 4 or $5. Once folks try them then will sell like hotcakes.

Just my 2 cents.
    NBL

Thanks for the advise I hate that about the honey not being good, I was hoping that would be a selling point being able to say local honey was used in it for the flavor.

The smell and taste of honey will come through in your beeswax, so don't worry about it, you can put it on the label no problem, just don't add a lot of it to your recipe because it gets hard to deal with (as mentioned).

I like coconut oil. If you DO use honey, use it sparingly. It's hard to mix and it does separate easily. Over time, it can crystallize and changes the consistency of the balm. I have some old stick lip balms with honey as one of the ingredients and it kind of separated. It's still good to use but if I was a customer I would think it had gone bad.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

White wax from cappings always has a nice honey smell because of were it came from. Its easy to clean with no slumgum also.

We use almond oil and raw shea butter in ours.

a few things we learned. We had made a dozzen or so carmex style pucks that require you apply it to your finger then your lips. Still have them as NO ONE, and i mean NO ONE buys them. something about dipping your nasty non-washed finger in it then to your lips repeatedly.....

My wife saves her old lipsticks and we take them apart and salvage the last 1/2" you cant get out of the tube and melt that into small batches for her. Gives the lip balm a slight coloring she likes.

Hello,

I am totally new at this but have made 2 batches of balm from burr comb I've scraped off my hives to experiment and test on my friends. I will definitely ask them if they prefer sticks or pucks. I've used almond oil but will try coconut oil next.

As a consumer who has used purchased balms forever, I DO like the little plastic 'puck' containers, as long as they are easy to open. Some of the metal ones are slippy and too hard to open sometimes. I prefer the container because they can't melt all over my car or purse in the summer - I've unfortunately had that happen more than once with chapstick- style balms! Or they are melted, I don't realize it, and I open them and they dump out and make a mess. So I've always switched to the pucks in March or so (if the contents meet they just re-solidify with no problems) and I put the sticks in a drawer in the house until fall.

I used the 2 T wax/ 7 T oil/ capful Vitamin E oil recipe. I added a bit of tea tree oil to some and love it but not sure if other people will like the smell.

Good luck!