First sting to the face...

Default First sting to the face...

So...got my first sting to the face today. After inspecting a hive I was packing things up a few hundred feet from the hive and a bee flew off my wife's jacket and stung me right between the eyes! The killer is I took my suit off seconds before this happened lol. I've been stung but never had quite this much swelling before. To those unlucky enough to have had a bee sting in the face how long and how severe was the swelling? I would put a picture of my swelling but I can't figure out how to add pictures to messages.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: First sting to the face...

Nice sounds like the bee had great aim. My son got stung next to his eye. It swelled that half of his face and couldn't open his eye for 5 days. He looked like twoface on batman. One side was normal then he turned and his evil half was looking at me. Dont worry it will go down. Take benadry and ice both help.

I was foolish enough last fall to think I was going to top off the sugar syrup and not need my veil. I was stung on my right eyelid. I took echinacea from a tincture that I had purchased from a homeopathic store, the bottle said a couple droppers worth but I took half of the small bottle. The swelling was still noticeable the following day and it was completely gone in about 2-1/2 days. I had to use tweezers to pull the stinger out because of how loose our eyelids are. You can also keep Apis Mel on hand for stings those come in pill form and you pop a few and put them under your tongue to dissolve.

Sorry to hear about your pain. I took one above the right eye four days ago. I feel a little bump and the wife can see it if I tell her it's there, but nothing else.

I've been stung a lot in the past (not as a keeper), so maybe I am getting a little more used to it. Or maybe I just got lucky this week. I think it's more luck than anything else.

Fix it with Bourbon. That fixes most issues...for a little while, anyway.

I don't swell at all in the face but my hands swell like balloons

Update

The bourbons helping lol

I've gotten stung on the forehead between the eyes, I call it beetox, takes the wrinkles out for a few days

I once took a sting to the forehead. After two days the swelling had settled into my eyes and my eyes were slightly more than slits. I had to go to work that way. A Korean coworker walked by me, stopped to take a second look, laughed and told me to "Embrace the look!" We both got a good laugh out of it.
    Working beeyards at 7700' elevation in Ponderosa pine forest.
    Visit us at Best Raw Honey

A bee stung the inside of my bottom lip once. It swelled pretty bad. From then on I wore a veil for even a quick peak in a hive. Last year, I was just walking around my hives and got stung in the corner of my eye. Sure enough it swelled shut. It took 2 or 3 days to completely get better. I hope you heal up quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    I don't swell at all in the face but my hands swell like balloons
    Hmm that sounds like a Pink Floyd song

In the past two years I have had bees I have been stung a lot!! Lessons learned!! I got one on the cheek under the eye last week, thought I was far enough away from the yard, NOPE!!!! I don't swell much anymore just itches a lot. Worst one was inside a nostril, not much swelling but my sinuses itched for two weeks!!!

The face swells a lot, at least on me. I got stung last year on the eyelid and my kids called me cyclops for a week. My eye swelled shut and the itching was intense. I had to hold my eye open to be able to see driving. (gotta get the kids from school) My hands swell moderately, but my face swells tremendously.
    On my 5th year with bees, 2 hives.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
    Hmm that sounds like a Pink Floyd song
    beat me to it!

I got into the habit of reaching behind my back and shaking my jacket and veil, and then walking away several yards, before unzipping and removing them. Even so, I brought a bee into the house on my clothes last week. I sat down and found her trying to sting through my jeans. She got me lightly, but managed to keep her stinger, so I pinched her wings while she was trying to give me another jolt and tossed her outside.

My son was stung last Sat. between the eyes on the bridge of his nose & Sun. morning both eyes were swelled shut. He was very upset & had to miss 2 days of school. I think mom was more upset about school than he was ! She carried him to the Dr. on Mon. he said take benadryl & pepsid Ac together for the swelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdt0517 View Post
    I took echinacea from a tincture that I had purchased from a homeopathic store, the bottle said a couple droppers worth but I took half of the small bottle. The swelling was still noticeable the following day and it was completely gone in about 2-1/2 days.
    Proving, once again, that homeopathic "cures" are pure hogwash and a complete waste of money.

I got stung above my right eyebrow earlier this year. Got the stinger out and took some benadryl. It swelled up just a little and was gone 2 days later. It wasnt bad at all.

I did get stung on the underside of my wrist a few weeks later, and the underside of my forearm swelled up down to my elbow for 4 days, and it was itchy for at least a week. I would have thought the face would swell more than an arm, but I was wrong.

It was uncomfortable but not unbearable. I like to avoid being stung if I can, and both times it was my fault

Quote Originally Posted by IslandLife View Post
    Proving, once again, that homeopathic "cures" are pure hogwash and a complete waste of money.
    Sure because you obviously added much more useful help. The swelling was completely gone in 2-1/2 days after needing to use tweezers and squeezing all of the toxin into my eyelid.