lega uncapper - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: lega uncapper

Default Re: lega uncapper

Lega has completed our newly designed backstops. They will arrive in approx. 4-5 weeks and we will send to the many folks who have purchased. Again, the backstop in no way inhibits the usability of the uncapper and is more of a convenience--in case you want to answer the phone or grab a doughnut mid push. However, when you are uncapping, you are going to place the frame in, lock it and drive it home in just 2 seconds. When we use it, we don't even use the backstop and actually tilt it away.

These are doing very well for folks based of the feedback and for that, we are happy. It's extracting time and people want something that gets the job done very quickly, effortlessly and saves your wrists and hands from fatigue. No cranking the bicycle chain on the old style tabletop uncappers with a hand crank (and jamming).

These do ship by freight on a wood pallet for protection. They are in stock and we can ship same or next day.
    Blue Sky Bee Supply
    Quality Bee Supplies, Bees and Containers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hiwire View Post
    How many frames does the rack hold before it has to be emptied??
    Ray

It will hold 10 frames in the rack.

It can also be mounted (without the legs) to the Lega Combo Extractor/Uncapping Tank and most uncapping bins--which allow even more streamlined and stress-free extracting!

LEGA 10 FRAME EXTRACTOR & UNCAPPING COMBO
    Blue Sky Bee Supply

Quote Originally Posted by blueskybeesupply View Post
    Lega has completed our newly designed backstops. They will arrive in approx. 4-5 weeks and we will send to the many folks who have purchased. Again, the backstop in no way inhibits the usability of the uncapper and is more of a convenience--in case you want to answer the phone or grab a doughnut mid push. However, when you are uncapping, you are going to place the frame in, lock it and drive it home in just 2 seconds. When we use it, we don't even use the backstop and actually tilt it away.

These are doing very well for folks based of the feedback and for that, we are happy. It's extracting time and people want something that gets the job done very quickly, effortlessly and saves your wrists and hands from fatigue. No cranking the bicycle chain on the old style tabletop uncappers with a hand crank (and jamming).

These do ship by freight on a wood pallet for protection. They are in stock and we can ship same or next day.
    Just to be clear, these backstops are to make it work reliably with medium and shallow frames?

Correct, as it sits now, you have to hold it in position to lower the "handles" that push the frame down. The backstop puts it in proper place for you.

BTW, we used ours today. Overall, we approve. It worked well. A few hiccups/gotchas that don't dissuade use from it. My biz partner used to run a commercial operation back in the 80's and I asked him if he felt it was worth the money and he did.

I have some pics and vids that I can post later... just wanted to let everyone know it worked as expected, better than expected and not quite as good as expected.

Ask as many questions as you would like and I will try to address them when I add the pics/vids.

Oh, you will also see, there are virtually NO cappings and barely any honey to recover from the procedure, but what honey is left is SUPER easy to recover.

Apparently the fixes are on the way. I'm going to order one next week.

Default Re: lega uncapper [Review]

So, we extracted 48 frames (40 mediums and 8 shallows, I think). Got about 16 gallons of honey and probably a cup of "cappings".

What we expected and was happy with:
    • It worked pretty well, even when it couldn't really break the cells (due to uneven drawing by the bees) our little spikey roller was able to get in there and finish the job quite easily.
    • It was quick, there were two of us and even with having to use the spikey roller from time to time (and sharing it) it was keeping up with the loading process of our Blue Sky 9 frame extractor. We were both working at a pretty leisurely pace.
    • Extraction (spinning) went pretty much as we expected, it probably doesn't go AS fast as with knives but that is because it's coming out of slits vs an open cell. We could have run them longer or even spun them faster (never went above 80%) but we didn't have our extractor mounted and didn't even have the rubber feet installed so if it had any sort of balance issues, I had to hold it down.

What didn't go quite as expected:
    • Seems like we might need to sort frames by "fullness" if we don't want to use the manual spike roller. This would allow us to adjust the width of the uncapper knives based on thickness of the comb. It doesn't cut well enough if it's then and it crushes if it's thick, but mostly it was just right. You will see in our video that we did a really full one and it ripped open the comb a bit, this was really the only one that was that bad, I just wanted a video of honey oozing. If you look at the pics you will see what the mostly looked like.
    • The pusher bar (that moves it along on the rack) pushes it RIGHT underneath the knives so any honey on there is dripping right on the top of the bar. Not a big issue.

What went BETTER than expected:
    • VERY little cappings, you will see from the pictures there is almost NO cappings in the catch pan and just a bit that collected under the knife cleaning plates.
    • Knives stayed VERY clean, as you will see in the pictures. This is all running 48 frames, not stopping and cleaning anything. We ran it all into a 600 micron bucket filter (mann lake) and we never had to clean it, even after pouring the catch basin into the extractor. Wait, I take that back, we did dump it into a pan at the end just because our buckets were too full to just leave it sitting on top and I didn't want to hold the strainer longer than I had to. If we would have had an extra bucket, I'd have just let it sit and not cleaned it. That said, we will likely pre strain the catch basin with a small hand held strainer, just to catch the few larger bits... we got it, might as well use it kind of thing.
    • Very little honey dripping, we never did just load the rack and let it sit, we only uncapped as we loaded the extractor. We did run a frame or two and let it sit while extracting on the first run and it was dripping pretty good, which is probably why we paced ourselves the way we did.
    • The little spikey roller, I know that's not related to the uncapper but it might be due to already tearing the cappings with the knives (just not enough) that little guy was working VERY well.

Just watched this video again, definitely the WORSE of the ones to show cappings and dripping. You will see. Compare that to the (blurry) picture of the uncapped frame below and you will be able to see how little usually showed up.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...HpscmhtX3MtS0k

This is just a video for us to show the extractor running but it has an uncapped frame sitting on the rack (this was that first run that we left a couple sitting on the rack).
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...nlLNk0yTHVlemM

Here is the blurry picture of a pretty nice uncapped frame, I'd say most were more like this, next being a few spots needing the roller and then only a couple ended up like that video.
    20160624_175606.jpg

Here is the catch basin after all 48 frames, we never skimmed any cappings and only picked out a few bees that made their way in.
    20160624_201835.jpg

Here are the top of the knives, again ZERO cleaning during the process.
    20160624_201921.jpg

This is the underside where the few cappings did collect, both sides looked about the same (one would have had the camera shooting right into the light overhead so I only have one side. This is mostly because of those one or two bulging frames that we didn't make adjustments for. With adjustments I don't think they would have been as bad (and they weren't bad either way... probably not worth adjusting for just a couple).
    20160624_201858.jpg

Again, any other questions fire away and I will attempt to answer them.

Thanks very much. I'm ordering one next week.

Here's my experience with the Lega. Your comments sum it up well. And you hit the positive things about this equipment.

Here are the items which I believe need improvement.

1-It looks like you had nice, new, white combs. I've found that frames which had been laid in, dark comb, harder comb did not do well. The comb would gum up underneath. The cutters wouldn't spin. The comb would get torn up going through.

Suggestion: put thumb screws on the cleaning plates. This would make them easily removed and help cleaning.

2-I had the same thought that comb may have to be sorted based on thickness. That is a time waster. I have 90 hives, a 20 frame extractor and need to save time. As we all know the bees don't build out the combs in nice, neat, uniform thicknesses even within one super.

3-Related to #2. Yes, the blades can be adjusted. Another time waster. And, I can see the threads in plastic rail getting stripped out over time even if one is careful and doesn't Tommy Torque them.

Suggestions: engineer a rotary dial for the user to adjust the blade width. This would be one enhancement which would make this uncapper a '10'. Address the potential for the adjusting screws to strip out the plastic rail.

4-Plastic catch tray is cumbersome to pour and empty.

Suggestion: make it out of harder plastic (like the Mann-Lake decapping tub). Provide a hole for a honey gate.

Thanks, Jaimie from BlueSky for being responsive to suggestions. I hope you will pass these back to Lega.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    Thanks very much. I'm ordering one next week.
    Any report back on your experience?
    20 hives, 10 years, T and TF, All local stock

I didn't order it. I saw a couple of negative posts on it and decided against it. Haven't decided but am thinking about the Better Bee one that Astro posted about
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...light=uncapper

I bought 360 kg size honey press. Aware it is not an uncapper. The customer service has not been there. Has never worked. The company has quit responding to my emails. I wish I had done more research.

The rollers system seems to be similar to the Brushy Mountain uncapper. It was mentioned that the Lega will not create very much wax and that is due to the rollers slicing thru the comb. My experience with the roller system in Brushy Mountain is that it also does produce very much wax but the biggest downside is that I have too spin much longer. Simply there is a need to take more wax and reduce spinning time. Appears to be the same system as BM but vertical rather than horizontal.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner View Post
    Simply there is a need to take more wax and reduce spinning time.
    I have one concern about the 'uncappers' that don't actually remove the caps but slit them open. I let the local bees scavenge my post extracted frames. When I uncap with a hot knife the scavengers simply clean up the residual honey without damaging the comb. If there's cap left...will they chew the comb down like they do when robbing capped honey?
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

I'm in Love! Thanks to Irina at Blue Sky, Super services WoW!! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

https://youtu.be/vCal-ojXKCE

Are you doing surgery or extracting honey

What 's the bottom line on this product , a year later? Brushy mountain or this Lega?

Considering the one Brushy sells is a Chinese copy of the original Lega, I would say the newest vertical Lega uncapper we sell is the best. We have used both. The old horizontal version Brushy sells jams up, is chain driven, the single piece roller crushes comb and is not self cleaning. There is no comparison. People return Brushy's for ours--not the other way around.
    Blue Sky Bee Supply

Being one of those who infact did return the sideliner back to BM last year because i heard about the lega at the last minute. I still have an expense account for this piece of equipment. I am sure you have followed this thread from the beginning and seen our concerns. What improments/fixes if any are new for 2017 for the lega?
    Quote Originally Posted by blueskybeesupply View Post
    Considering the one Brushy sells is a Chinese copy of the original Lega, I would say the newest vertical Lega uncapper we sell is the best. We have used both. The old horizontal version Brushy sells jams up, is chain driven, the single piece roller crushes comb and is not self cleaning. There is no comparison. People return Brushy's for ours--not the other way around.

Does anyone know how much thr shipping weight is for this? Does anyone remember if they were charged tax?

Has anyone tried this with foundationless frames?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast