lega uncapper
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: lega uncapper

Default lega uncapper

Anyone using the Lega uncapper? Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: lega uncapper

We just brought the Lega ROLL uncapper to market this year (it's the rev. 2 of the horizontal hand-crank chain uncapper Mr. Lega designed, now knocked off by another company in China). So, although many have gone out since January, folks down south are just beginning to use them. All who have received them are ecstatic, with the beautiful design and simplicity and compact form factor. The speed is great and no more carpal tunnel and hand fatigue trying to mess with knives. We love them and saw them in action in Italy last fall and had to bring them to the USA. It's simply the newest and best tool on the market (well that and the Hot Air Mite Vaporizer).

See a video of it in action at: http://www.blueskybeesupply.com/lega...apper-lgtt-uc/

http://www.blueskybeesupply.com/hot-...rizer-by-lega/

The Lega ROLL uncapper will remove very little wax, so if you need wax (and the wasted melter honey that goes with processing it), then this will not supply you with a ton. However, what it will do, is speed things up dramatically and affordably, allowing you to do other things and get every drop of honey from your frames with no mess and fuss!
    Blue Sky Bee Supply
    Quality Bee Supplies, Bees and Containers!

I've seen the video and I'm interested. How easy is clean up on this. Do the knives need to be resharpened? Seems like the honey would have to be pretty warm to do a good job extracting. Can you replace the knives?

The cutting teeth are nylon, similar to self-healing cutting boards. Individual teeth can easily be replaced, however it would be years before you would have to do that. They actually wear in very nicely and the machine works better as you use it.
    Blue Sky Bee Supply

I would appreciate anyone who is using this in their honey house to respond. Thanks Bluesky

Like Blue Sky said, they just showed up in the US. A friend is getting one in today. I hope to help him extract after tallow and see for myself how well it does.

How similar are the cell cutting rollers to the roller on the woodpecker type hand capping perforater? I played with that a bit but found that the frames had to be definitely nice and warm. Is temperature a consideration?
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    How similar are the cell cutting rollers to the roller on the woodpecker type hand capping perforater? I played with that a bit but found that the frames had to be definitely nice and warm. Is temperature a consideration?
    I asked that question before and it was ignored. If I buy it I expect to have to have a warming room.

I run eight frames in ten frame supers. I take it this machine won't flatten them back down, or will it? And what are the heating requirements?
    Quote Originally Posted by blueskybeesupply View Post
    The cutting teeth are nylon, similar to self-healing cutting boards. Individual teeth can easily be replaced, however it would be years before you would have to do that. They actually wear in very nicely and the machine works better as you use it.

New post on Facebook about the Lega unit:

"HOWEVER, it really is designed for doing DEEP frames. The support that stops the frame from falling over backwards is only long enough to reach deeps. Mediums (and shallows) are below the back support and can fall over backwards instead of being pushed through the rollers. The handle can not be adjusted for a shorter stroke making it harder to line up for mediums - especially without the back support!

I do NOT see any way to adjust those things (without a drill and modifying the tool!), but I plan to call Blue Sky today and ask about these adjustments. A longer support would be all it took to really fix these two issues. I don't know why it doesn't come with a support that can handle all three common frame sizes!"

My understanding is that Blue Sky is working on a solution but haven't come up with one yet. Any comment Blue Sky? Since I run all shallows that is a deal breaker for me.

I am expecting ours to be delivered any minute now.

We run only mediums so I'm very interested in those comments from Facebook... then again, it is FB.

I have a few frames in my van so I'll grab them and see how they run through the machine when I get it... assuming I have enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    I am expecting ours to be delivered any minute now.

We run only mediums so I'm very interested in those comments from Facebook... then again, it is FB.

I have a few frames in my van so I'll grab them and see how they run through the machine when I get it... assuming I have enough time.
    You'll find those FB comments are spot on.
    South Texas Apiaries, LLC
    www.Facebook.com/SouthTexasApiaries

I almost ordered it... called for freight quote and was going to order when I saw the Facebook post. Interesting how Blue Sky doesn't answer questions when it's problematic for their product.

Yeah, that's making me nervous.

Stupid freight company doesn't seem to know where my address is, even though you can just pop it in google and it comes right up. It's only a small shopping center with 4 businesses in it that get freight delivered every month to every quarter.

So frustrating... we are literally on a hwy. You can punch our address into any GPS and it will take you right to our shopping center. You gonna tell me you didn't put it on the truck because you didn't know where my address was?! Doesn't put much faith in you as a TRANSPORTATION company!!!

Looks like there is really only one or two bits that might give problems.

The back stop bar seems like it should be long enough or if not then could be pretty easily extended (though you shouldn't have to modify a brand new $1,000 piece of gear!) The other bit would be the flanges on the side that seem to "squeeze" your end bars to help center. If those can't be lowered then it seems like something that would just be a small bit of inconvenience. Again... not something you should have to deal with on a new piece of gear like this.

What I don't understand is that Lega sells frames as well. They sell "Brood" frames and "Super" frames. So, you telling me that this is designed to run "Brood" frames through? That just doesn't make sense.

Hopefully I'm just missing something and there is an easy and readily available fix for them to send us users. I would also assume that any of these mods they come up with to this unit would be sent out to us at no charge.

I sure hope that is the case.

Don't hold your breath... no one who sells them is responding.

Well, I put my money down as well as bought an extractor from BlueSky... I EXPECT to get some answers if I have some issues!

Ok, I got it in.

Definitely right about not really "naturally" supporting the medium frames. Not sure what the hell that is all about.

Sending an email off to Blue Sky next just wanted to share this picture real quick.

LegaUncapperWithMediumFrame.jpg

Just got an email back (an hour after sending my concern). They are aware of the issue and addressing solutions right now and will be taking care of previous customers.

So far I'm pretty happy.

I can see how a few simple modifications could fix this very easily.

We are looking forward to extracting and trying this puppy (and our new extractor) out!

Hello all. Apologies, I'm not on the forums as much as I used to be (we are busy packing those orders to go out quickly). Gilligan did contact me by email today and told me there was some discussion on the uncapper that I was not aware of and I needed to respond to. In the future, I will try and figure out how to have "alerts" turned on for threads pertaining to our products that I comment on.

The only negative feedback we have received in the last few days (from just a couple of people) is:

1.) The backstop rest needs to be longer for our USA Langstroth Mediums and Shallows.
    Truth be told, if the backstop wasn't even on the machine, there would probably be no comment on it or desire for one. You would simply place the frame between the rollers, lock down the top bar gripper and pull the handlebar down and repeat. Nonetheless, we have asked Lega to make us a longer backstop. We will send them at no charge to all who have ordered and will order.

2.) The spring-action handlebar returns to its highest position, as if it were only set for deeps.
    This is an easy fix as well. We have asked Lega to develop simple metal inserts that can block/lock into the green travel channel. In this fashion, you will be able to set for the frames you use. Again, these add-on parts will be sent at no cost to all early adopters and those who order.

With these 2 updates, we will "Crank it to 11" as they say. Lega designs processing equipment for over 40 different sizes of frames and the majority of those frames in Europe are of the deep variety. So, a few simple updates and all will be well.

For those of you who do not know, Mr. Lega designed the original tabletop CHAIN uncapper, that is now knocked off in China and being sold by other companies that is now of very low quality and at a very HIGH price. The ROLL uncapper we sell is of the highest Italian quality, as the original was, but we priced the the ROLL uncapper to make it more affordable for the sideliner beekeeper.

Again, never hesitate to contact us via phone (877) 529-9233, email or Facebook for the best response. We take care of our customers and these parts were planned to be sent whether they realized it or not (we have only received questions on these issues from 2% of those who have purchased).
    Blue Sky Bee Supply

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast