Bee suit poll. Best bee suit?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bee suit poll. Best bee suit?

I've got a question for the experienced beeks out there. What is the best protection to buy? I've been looking at the UltraBreeze but it's pricey. Full suit, or just jacket and hood? Questions, concerns, comments? I've got one hive with a bit of a bad attitude and would like to be prepared for a bad cut-out, etc. I need your experience to make a wise investment!

Thank you in advance!
    Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bee suit poll. Best bee suit?

I have a suit but rarely use it. That said, I use it if I have to do to circumstances. Mostly bears. Sometimes just bad colonies. For me....and this is just me.... I'd rather spend more money on a good jacket and just have a serviceable suit. I could be two hours working through hives with a jacket and maybe gloves. I'd never do that in a suit unless I was commercial. For me, a jacket is regular equipment that I use at least half the time. A suit is a specialized piece of equipment. My view of it is reflective on my need.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

So far I've been using a hood and gloves paired with a long sleeve, and not as loose as I'd like, shirt. I've only been hit a couple of times but these hives haven't been gone through in probably 5 years and I'd like to clean up the brood box. I'm going to be in for some time and would just feel better with that extra protection. I just hate to invest and wish I'd spent a bit more and got the upgrade!?

A good ventilated jacket and thick jeans (think Dicky, double knee) will serve you just fine.......
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    A good ventilated jacket and thick jeans (think Dicky, double knee) will serve you just fine.......
    Yep. I have a ventilated jacket and I love it. It's not a Ultrabreeze, I got it from Rossman apiaries. It was much cheaper than an Ultrabreeze. If I had it to do again, I would have got the regular veil and not the fencing veil.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Ultrabreeze full suit. Never been stung in 2 years. Very comfortable in summertime.

Quote Originally Posted by appalachianoutdoors View Post
    Ultrabreeze full suit. Never been stung in 2 years. Very comfortable in summertime.
    Probably what my choice would be if I had to get a suit that would be used all the time.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

The best bee suit/protection is...

...there isn't one.

Beekeepers have all sorts of different preferences. Warm or cold climate. In an area with hot bees (AHB) or docile bees. Early season or late season. Hate getting stung or don't care.

Get what you are comfortable with!
    Working beeyards at 7700' elevation in Ponderosa pine forest.
    Visit us at Best Raw Honey

If I am going to wear a suit the ultra breeze is nice
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

I checked out the ultra breeze at a convention. Nice expensive. I went with the one from mann lake. I got a normal full suit and a breeze suit for separate times of the year and what the job is going to consist of. I also sewed stirrups on the bottom of the legs to keep them covering my boots or shoes. with the round veils not fencing veils.

I love my Ultrabreeze 3XL full suit. I am a big dude (6'1, 290lbs) so I don't want to melt into a puddle of sweat when it gets hot. The only thing I need with my UB suit is a sweat headband.

If anyone checking this thread decides to buy an ultrabreeze suit, get it directly from their website. It's $30 cheaper than on Amazon.

Shorts, t shirt and ultrabreez! Only wear it when they are nasty. Never been stung through suit.

I use a Cheap 13$ painters suite I got from Lowes. I've only been stung once through it. Rubber gloves and a good bee hood. Works for me.

If you are going to do cutouts the UltraBreeze would serve you well. I have 2 of them. I have never been stung through them. Last year 20+ hives, this year 35+ and streak is still going. They offer great protection from upset bees, mean bees and the like.
    John

I have the UltraBreeze hood-jacket combo. Love it.

I don't do cutouts, and I'm not in it 8+ hours a day, so I bought the cheapest suit that came in XXX. It works well for what I'm doing now. At this point, I want to spend money on expanding.
    Yes, hopefully there is a more expensive suit down the road, but when I feel I need it.
    I want bees that make up for my mistakes.

another vote for ultrabreeze.

Just purchased the ultrabreeze jacket/hood combo. So far, it's been nice. Previously had the pith helmet, yellow mesh combo that sucked. The fencing hood has been a bit of adjustment, but I think that it will work nicely.
    I keep track of my hives using http://www.mybeekeeper.com/

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Cartharts. thick, lots of pockets and wear like iron

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast