USDA pollinator program

Default USDA pollinator program

Hi Folks,
    A while back I posted on this, but now can't find it. Anyway, after discussion with the local office, visits to the intended fields, etc. I finally have enough info to seriously evaluate the program. The USDA will pay $700 per acre to reseed the two fields I have in mind. The fields are kind of "rough" and while I keep it mowed, it has had no soil improvements for a long time. The initial discussion was that I would "probably" have to add a ton of lime and 200-300 lbs. of 12-12-12 per acre, which is reasonable. NOW it's lime and fertilize per soil test!!! Being east of the mississippi, the soil is acidic which would require a lot more lime than a ton per acre and the fertilize has to be 10-20-20 which is only available as a special blend. After much discussion or outright laughter on my part at the seeds they required, they relaxed it to Purple prairie, Alsike, and Ladino clover.

So, I can spend $2,000+in order to be reimbursed $700 an acre. What a deal!! The humor or tragedy is that the program is only for one year, the lime they mandate won't even start to act in a year, seed quantities are inadequate. e.g. Purple prarie clover they require 1/2-3/4 lb. per acre and the standard recomendation is 9 lbs due to poor germination. etc.

I was willing to reseed a couple of fields which aren't being particuarly productive and if they could help financially, I'd kick in some money myself and the pollinators would be happy. I'm not willing to spend that much though. The above numbers do not include wear and tear on equipment, diesel fuel, etc.

Well, it's an election year, there will be a new President and Washington will be straightened out, that's what they say anyway. :-)

Ev

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: USDA pollinator program

How Does that 2000. an acre you would spend break down?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    How Does that 2000. an acre you would spend break down?
    I'd be curious to know this as well.
    www.apisrustica.com Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens
    www.facebook.com/Apis.rustica

That's not soil that's quick sand.

whats the ph level? blueberry farm ?

You sound disappointed and let down.
    Not to be throwing bombs here but I think having the good citizens of this country subsidize 35% of your land improvement at the tax payers expense is being more than fair to you. The government has no money of it's own only what is takes from the tax payers and redistributes.

OK, was being faceitiious (sp?) with the $2,000, realistic estimate based on soil tests from similar land around here would be two and a half tons of lime per acre, $500, 450 lbs. of fert. $135 Seed would be Purple Prarie, $100, Alsike, $50, Ladina, $50 which would be $835 raw cost. However would have to haul the lime here in half ton increments as i'll be no where near the 25 ton minimum for delivery. I would have to have soil tests for each field @$20 each also. $2,000 might be high, but when oil, fuel, etc. is considered, the $700 offered is probably half the actual cost.

Devil Dog, granted, my land is being improved, but it's land that isn't really viable for agriculture as it is relatively steep and lime, fert. added tends to leach or wash away. After "improvement," I wouldn't suddenly be planting it. Would simply bush hog it every fall to keep it clear and also top dress with fert. to let the "pollinator habitat" continue.

To restate, I heard about this program, doing something for the pollinators is a good thing for everyone. What I was initially told and what is now developing are two different things. The USDA is treating these two fields as if they were "bottom land" and must be improved as such. I suggest that no one with viable agricultural land is suddenly going to take it out of production and plant pollinator habitat.

Just sharing some information, or lessons learned as I travel through life.

Ev

This country is so hosed.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    This country is so hosed.
    Ya think? :-)

Best way in the world to really screw up a darn good idea is to put the government in charge of it.

Being kind of stubborn I persevered with this, took the soil samples in to be tested, etc. They sent me a "preliminary" contract for review and a "final" form for fund disbursement. My previous estimate of $835 for raw cost is now $1050. The "final" form for fund disbursement was interesting. I filled out the top portion name, address, USDA ID numbers, etc. The bottom portion was the bank info, routing information, etc. had to be filled out by the bank and mailed by them to the USDA. Evidently dumb farmers can't be trusted to get that right. For "grins and giggles" I called my bank and told them about the form as I'd never seen anything like that, always supplied that info myself. They'd be glad to cooperate, but as it was a form going to the Feds, a bank officer would have to review it and "maybe" one of the banks attorneys, weren't sure if there'd be a charge for this.

Nope. Not going to happen. They're nutz! Think I"ll just spend a few hundred on white dutch clover seed and top seed it in this fall. Interesting that White Dutch wasn't one of the "approved" seeds and the ones that were don't really carry over year to year.

jwcarlson, "hosed" doesn't begin to describe the state of this country, IMHO.

Ev

Quote Originally Posted by Larry in OK View Post
    Best way in the world to really screw up a darn good idea is to put the government in charge of it.
    Ill second that statement!

I don't know man, this really sounds like you are disappointed that you didn't get a hand out.
    I'm kinda disappointed you asked for one.
    You think the guvmint should help you improve your land to "help the pollinators"???
    I'm not trying to bash you - there must be something I am not understanding.
    If it's all as I see it then why not do one of the many crowd funding beggar schemes? Put it out that you have land and make a youtube showing the land now and a computer generated "after" picture. People will line up to give you money to "save the bees"
    "Challenger" as in the Mopar muscle car. Not a personality description .
    Keeping bees to raise money for chordoma.

[QUOTE=challenger;1422202]I don't know man, this really sounds like you are disappointed that you didn't get a hand out.
    I'm kinda disappointed you asked for one.
    You think the guvmint should help you improve your land to "help the pollinators"???
    I'm not trying to bash you - there must be something I am not understanding.
    If it's all as I see it then why not do one of the many crowd funding beggar schemes? Put it out that you have land and make a youtube showing the land now and a computer generated "after" picture. People will line up to give you money to "save the bees

Hand out? Really? Last time I checked a "handout" was getting something for nothing. Improving land for pollinators based on government specs is far from "nothing." Real cost and hard work involved. Sure you are "improving your land" but not in a way to immediately recoup your investment.