Heilyser JB700 OA Blower - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Heilyser JB700 OA Blower

My plan with my JB700 is to blow the vapor in the 1" holes bored in the face of my hive bodies as my entrances are only 1/4" deep. I took the straight pipe I received with my machine to the hardware store and found a 1 1/2 threaded by 1"barb grey plastic fitting. The screw portion indeed screws inside the 2" straight piece. I plan to taper the barb with my grinder so it fits just a tad less snugly in the holes in my boxes. Now if the respirator would arrive or if I could find the ones I used regularly a dozen years ago turn up--I could get to work killing mites.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

So, overall what is the time required to treat a hive or a yard(say40 hives). If it takes 30 seconds to treat a hive, and 5-6 hives can be done with a hopper full, given time for reloading heating up and cooling down the unit, could 40 hives be done in an hour? ( because that's how long it takes to break apart 40 hives to put strips in)
    Also, could a full day of treating be done with 2 -3 fully charged batteries?
    Thanks for all the input.

Should be able to do 40 hives in significantly less than an hour.... The only delay in the cycle time would be the need to reload the OA after it has been expended.... The battery capacity would depend a lot on the battery you use.... I use a marine battery which has a fair amount of capacity and it easily covers my 21 hives/nucs with juice to spare when using the JB700.... Do not know how much capacity it has beyond that as I always put it back on the charger each week after I visit my outyards....

Quote Originally Posted by Maybee Apiaries View Post
    So, overall what is the time required to treat a hive or a yard(say40 hives). If it takes 30 seconds to treat a hive, and 5-6 hives can be done with a hopper full, given time for reloading heating up and cooling down the unit, could 40 hives be done in an hour? ( because that's how long it takes to break apart 40 hives to put strips in)
    Also, could a full day of treating be done with 2 -3 fully charged batteries?
    Thanks for all the input.
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 17H OAV Amitraz
    Seaside Apiaries

Too soon to tell if there are any long term reliability issues but will keep everyone posted if anything crops up.
    Well, today I was treating hives and noticed that the glue that holds the bowl for the OA has come loose. It appears it is glued to a piece of wood which is then glued to the shell. Not happy. Writing Heinz now about this. This machine may not hold up to beekeeper use which is rougher than a shop situation.

Turns out it's a known problem... of course it wasn't fixed before they shipped it

Hi Heinz and Cam,

In answer to Cam's question, we are now using Permatex Red RTV high-temp gasket maker to adhere the aluminum acid bucket to the wood insulator and the insulator to the ceramic tile. This change came about due to the very problem that Cam is experiencing. Please clean off any remaining adhesive and apply a thin layer of the Permatex before reattaching the bucket. Allow 24 hours for the adhesive to set. If you have any additional issues please feel free to contact me.

Best regards, Ron

Put the gasket maker on and let it set 24 hours. Seems solid. I will update in a few days.

Here's a copy of the email I just sent Heilyser and the manufacturer. I am afraid I bought a piece of junk. If it won't hold up to today there is no hope it will hold up under heavy use.

Ron and Heinz,

I followed the directions carefully. I allowed it to dry for about a week - due to weather conditions here - went out to treat this afternoon. I treated one hive and the acid bucket came loose. There was no jarring or dropping of the vaporizer. Seems like the heat made it separate.

What now?

here's the response:

Hi Cam,
    This can happen if there is an air bubble trapped under the acid bucket within the adhesive. When the bucket heats up it expands the air within the adhesive and pops the bucket off. I think the best way forward is to send you a metal clip that can be used to secure the acid bucket to the ceramic tile. Heinz, can you bend up a clip for Cam and send it, or would you prefer that I do that?
    Best regards, Ron

As I indicated in another thread, I also am leaning towards having buyers remorse on the Heilyser JB700. I only used it once, yesterday, to OAV 50 hives and already the handle is wiggly. In addition, I had to take it apart and manually push the fan with my finger to get it moving about half way through my run after realizing I was successfully smoking my body with a cloud of OAV coming out of the back of the unit! I am now grateful I got the full face mask, that is all I will say about that.

Frankly, I am surprised they haven't offered to just replace the unit for you. The onus shouldn't be on the customer to repair a severely defective unit, at least here in the states the UCC covers this generally with "implied warranty of merchantability". As we bought this from Canada it doesn't apply, but I hope they end up doing the right thing for you.

Here is the email I received yesterday afternoon after I wrote and asked what they were going to do:

Hello Cam
    I send you three different clips, I’m sure one of them will solve the problem. You might put some of the silicone on the part that slides under the ceramic plate to hold the clip in position.
    Best regards
    Heinz Kaemmerer

Sorry to hear about the headaches. I guess....when I shop for such a thing, I'll look for something else.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Dan, there are a couple of companies with vaporizers in the pipeline and cheaper and more like the vm vaporizer, so I would wait at this point. I can not recommend the JB700

I made a strap that I put over the back end of the pan . I carefully drilled holes in the ceramic base and screwed it down ,It doesn't move now .

Used my jb700 for the first time today and broke it. The plug in for the short power cable got bent sideways and broke. The unit is just not very robust. Does anyone know why it as designed with a connection immediately outside the unit. I think I'll take it to a local electronic fixit shop and have this weak point eliminated, then glue on an extension rearward to hold what we called a grip set in the missile business to protect the connection.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    Dan, there are a couple of companies with vaporizers in the pipeline and cheaper and more like the vm vaporizer, so I would wait at this point. I can not recommend the JB700
    Which companies are these?

Vance,

Second time I have ever used it, yesterday afternoon, the same thing happened while removing the plug as I shutdown to move to my next yard. The male pin broke out of the JB700 device side connector. Looking at the pin and connector in more detail, the internal side of the prong appears to be susceptible to failure from even the slightest lateral motion.

I am going to reach out to the vendor for assistance, I think the external cable connector needs a re-design, it is not rugged enough for outdoor use.

feel free to tell him about me in great falls.

Quote Originally Posted by ApricotApiaries View Post
    Which companies are these?
    Charles Linder over on the commercial site on facebook has one almost ready to go. Not sure which company is the other one.

snl has one in the works.

Just an update on my issue. I sent Heinz Kaemmerer an email at around midnight yesterday and he responded less than an hour later! I forwarded some pictures of the faulty connector, in response Heinz indicated the following via email: "I talked to the manufacturer of the blower, they solved the problem, all new units coming hard wired. There is no plug to brake off on the new blowers."

Heinz was kind enough to offer either replacement parts or an updated unit, I selected the new unit to avoid any future issues resulting from my questionable soldering skills.

I know others, like me, were early adopters of the JB700, but it sounds like they are working quickly to update the product as feedback is received. I assume I will have the replacement JB700 here at home within a week or so, I will update the thread at that time.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast