DNA Testing on Honey Bees please

Default DNA Testing on Honey Bees please

First I tried Google.
    Then I tried this site, searching for DNA and/or DNA test.

Would someone please tell me where to send bees to get them DNA tested?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: DNA Testing on Honey Bees please

What do you hope to learn by getting a DNA test? It seems there are no commercial companies specifically sequencing A. mellifera because there is virtually no utility to the end user except possibly in cases of commercial breeding programs. You might be able to determine some phylogenetic information about your bees by comparing to known lines like Africanized bees or Italian bees, but that's probably the most useful information you will get.

If you are determined to get a genome sequenced I would try contacting a university doing this kind of research http://hymenopteragenome.org/beebase/?q=about There are a number of companies that will do whole exome sequencing (sequencing of the parts of the genome that actually express protein) this generally runs $500-$800 per sample and may require specialized sample prep or modified conditions for nonhuman samples. After all that you're going to receive a series of long files with raw sequence information that will be very difficult to interpret in a meaningful way. You may be able to say that you're sample differs from the reference sequence in certain regions but assigning a meaningful interpretation to that difference will be difficult.

Have you heard CD Genomics, which offers 16s, 18s rRNA and ITS Metagenomics Sequencing service by Illumina MiSeq Platform. Maybe you can get what you want there.

Thanks, I'll check it out...
    M

I know this is an old thread, but I am interested in finding a genetic test for my colonies + other local beeks.
    Is anyone aware of any new developments in this area? Trying to ID Russian vs Russian Hybrid colonies for example.

The Tarpy lab at North Carolina State does DNA testing

Perfect, thank you Michael!

Rhop:

I had a similar question earlier in the year and received two (2) commercial options from Dr. Dainat with the Swiss Bee Lab:

https://apigenix.com/

"This company was specialized in microsatellites. They are in the process to also have the SNP approach, coming soon. Anyway methods apart, the purpose was to determine the type of bees you have i.e. for example ligustica or whatever, and calculate hybridization (i.e. how “pure” is your bee. Of course there is to keep in mind that pure honeybee does not exist and have never existed. Probably if you have 10 % hybridization it is already very good. With a good breeding program, you can aim at less).

There is another company in Switzerland, where SNP is established: https://www.mp-genetics.com/ also to see honeybee subspecies, type etc…"

Not sure what shipping to Switzerland looks like, but it appears that this type of testing is becoming more mainstream with each passing year.

Russ
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Truly appreciate the advice Russ

Contact someone in the Rus Breeders Org.
    The test their own bees annually.