32 swarms in 38 traps - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: 32 swarms in 38 traps

Why did they do that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

How is it possible that no one has asked where these swarms are now going to be living? I have a couple of spare parts but not over 30 ?!?!?
    Amazing skills by the way

WOW !!!!

you are the MAN!!

you will have to do a youtube video to teach the rest of us mere mortals your majick!!

Kev

Love your system!!!

and the bark!! brilliant!!

great video

keep them coming!!

Kev

ps YOU ARE THE MAN!! the swarm catching MAN!!

I am just wondering how often everyone re-applies there swarm commander.

I am in NSW, Australia and have set 20 bait hives, all are 42ltrs capacity with 4 frames (foundationless).
    I have baited half with LGO and the other half with SC. I have not caught any swarms yet but its only just come into swarm season here.

I got the vials of SC and have put a q tip with SC on it in a clip lock bag (not closed) in the trap. I also rubbed a little on the frames before closing the box. They are all located around 3m up in trees. I am just not sure how often I should be replacing the q tip with SC on it?

hoping i can get 60%-70% success

Cheers Phill

>I am just wondering how often everyone re-applies there swarm commander.

Once a year.

I've gotten about (I honestly stopped counting) 32 trapped swarms from 30 traps. I still have 8 more at ached to the trees because of time and room and daylight. I only used old comb in ten frame size deep boxes.
    I suppose all these "feral" hives will all give me mite resistant colonies right??? Didn't think so
    "Challenger" as in the Mopar muscle car. Not a personality description .
    Keeping bees to raise money for chordoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Hancock alternate beehive View Post
    Love your system!!!
    and the bark!! brilliant!!
    great video
    keep them coming!!
    Huh? I don't see a link to a video? Please help my technically-limited mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasFreedom View Post
    Huh? I don't see a link to a video? Please help my technically-limited mind.
    Maybe this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu6tIg4EW2g

Quote Originally Posted by mcon672 View Post
    Oddly, four of them have taken up residence on the bottom of the traps this year even building comb there. Last year out of 13 trapped none of them did that. Not sure what's going on there.
    I've had reports of this happening. The reason is that too much of the Swarm Commander Premium Swarm Lure was sprayed in the hive. It will typically repel them from the hive if you use too much. Just make sure to use less.
    Scott Derrick- Creator Of - Honey-B-Gone Swarm Commander

Quote Originally Posted by strummer View Post
    I have caught 12 swarms with 14 sets this year . I use one old bar of brood comb and a squirt of swarm commander in a old pill bottle with a cotton ball in it . One place I set I have caught 5 for 5 . Just reset it for the 6 th time . This spot is on the middle of a town of about 100k people All my other traps are in the country side z
    Love hearing the success stories. Keep em coming!!
    Scott Derrick- Creator Of - Honey-B-Gone Swarm Commander

So newbie question- what r u doing with them? Building your stash or selling ?

Thumbs Up Re: 32 swarms in 38 traps

1st year beek here. Late last winter I built 8 swarm traps using the plans from Horizontal Hive (swarm trap lite). I brushed on a coating of propolis mixed with alcohol on the inside of the box and underneath the telescoping lid. I baited the box with swarm commander. I painted the boxes white. I also but some dead tree limbs on top of the trap as per OdFrank I trapped 16 swarms using the 8 traps. I got 6 more w/o traps.

I quickly ran out of boxes to transfer them into so i had to leave several of my traps sitting in my yard with the swarms in them while I waited for Albert Zook to build some more equipment for me. So for the peak of swarm season (month of May) I only had 3 or 4 traps being used as traps.
    I concluded that catching swarms was easy until I read this thread and saw that a lot of people were having trouble getting bees to move in! Now I realize that I may have had a case of "beginners luck".
    I sold 3 swarms, had a few abscond(SHB?), and combined some and I'm now overwintering 9 colonies.
    I've built more traps this winter so I'll have 24 swarm traps to use this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Metis27 View Post
    So newbie question- what r u doing with them? Building your stash or selling ?
    Catch and release?

Last year was our first to set out actual swarm traps away from our yards, so nothing to compare to previous years. We were attempting to capture in places that we believed not to be near managed bees. 18 for 22 was our take. 3 of those were a two for one(same set captured two swarms last year) we will definitely continue this experiment. 15 of the 18 have survived(so far). Some were small (three frames)and not worth the effort really. It was a lot of effort building traps and checking traps in remote locations. But if we introduced 'survivor ' genetics into our bee yards that turn out desirable that is the goal. Of course we might simply be inviting bees that swarm 'at the drop of a hat', 'catch and release' if you will, If having more honey production is the short term goal? my experience says this is NOT time well spent. If you enjoy running around climbing ladders and packing stuff in pursuit of bees of unknown origin? Then this is for you! I would say with the time ,materials, gas, effort, spent we could have managed 30 more hives instead of chasing these remotes swarm traps. It was fun and nobody got hurt though.

I just built 4 swarm traps. There are no honey bees around here, we hardly never see any in the yard during the summer. I do not know any bee yards around here either. So I have no choice but to place them in the woods and hope. I am going to put 3 starter frames with some lemon grass oil on a Q tip in each. 2 are build out of wood and 2 out of green pvc sheet. Last year my neighbor bought a 3 lb box and in the summer it swarmed about 5 lbs of bees and I saw it on a low bush and got it. But this summer both my hives died. I found out no food we were having a drought. I quickly told my neighbor as soon as I found out to start feeding his, he did and just before the cold they stopped feeding. He wrapped up what he thought was an empty box. Yesterday he said he saw some bees around the box and uncovered it and said it had bees in it, he thought he cought a swarm. However he never opened the box last year so I suspect they just clustered for the winter and lucky he covered the box with canvas. So at least he has something to start with. Who knows maybe they will swarm again this year.

Larrylwill, I am sure if you put some old brood comb frames in your traps and place them in some buddies tree stands you will have good luck. How deep are your boxes? Ours are about 19 inches deep and 6 frames wide with 1/2 inch by 4 inch entrances. Worked like a charm for our area. Good luck!

I put out 3 boxes today. There about 17" long, 14" wide and 14" deep. There small top bar configuration. I put 3 frame starters about 2" of wax foundation in each box and some lemon grass oil on a Q tip. I put 1 on a tree near a pond in the deep woods, another near another pond in a pine forest and a 3rd in my front yard. Each about 8' high. I don't know where any tree stands are or have any buddies that have any. I have 2 more I made but have not put them out yet. If I knew where some bee yards were I would put them near them. I have lived here 8 years and never seen a swarm. When I lived in South Alabama I saw 3.

Near water seems to help. Reading about bloom dates in AL it sounds like your just in time. If you can find some old brood comb to add in it sounds like you've got the right set up. Hope you get ya some big swarms. Be sure and feed them to help get some comb and brood going for a strong hive by fall. I did swarms both fed and UN fed.... only the fed survived the summer and fall for us. We have a serious lack of bee forage in the late summer here..

My first year I put a bunch of traps in deer stands. I have decided never again. They are just too hard to carry up and down the steps. The swarms I ended up catching were on platforms at about arms lenght hight and I don't doubt what seeley says about 15 feet but after collecting a few it seems much safer and easier to just put the traps in easier places. I was also surpized that the really good places I thought I would catch bees were not where I caught them. Instead I caught them on the side of a tree over a junk car or beside the door of my garage.

I actually lowered some I left out all year to where I don't have to stand on anything to harvest the trap.
    Cheers
    gww

Ps I do have a couple at deer stands but just down on the side of the tree and not up in the stand.
    zone 5b

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast