What to do after a swarm?

Default What to do after a swarm?

7 days ago I saw a tornado of bees close to my hive land on a nearby tree, swarm, and within a day they had relocated. Unsure of what was going on, I waited till today to check my hive. I have what appears to be a full brood box with lots of bees and a few queen cells. What, if anything, should I do? Thank you!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What to do after a swarm?

ONly second year, but I was told to try not to disturb them too much. You don't want to accidentally kill the new potential queen. If the queen cells are capped then its 3-4 weeks before you should see new eggs IF the queen was mated. Good luck!

If the cells are located along the bottom of the frame they are swarm cells. I usually knock down all but one that looks the best. This will discourage after swarming which will decrease your hive population even further. Carefully handle the frame with the queen cell you have chosen, if damaged you could leave your hive hopelessly queenless. Check back in two weeks, it takes awhile for the newly hatched queen to mature enough to take her mating flight and start laying eggs. the capped brood will maintain population but it's 21 days from egg to hatch bees. To bad you didn't catch the swarm.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

You can also split the hive if queen cells are on more than one frame. Timing is everything, they swarm about a day before the queens emerge. You probably have time tomorrow to do the split. Otherwise leave them alone.