Cockroach Bait for SHB

Thumbs Up Cockroach Bait for SHB

Anybody using Advion Syngenta Gel cockroach bait for small hive beetles? Put it in the traps and the SHB eat it and die.
    It is what it is!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Cockroach Bait for SHB

It is illegal in Florida and probably in Georgia as well. Common sense though if a single beetle crawls out it will kill the bees that touch it transferring the insecticide.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

>if a single beetle crawls out it will kill the bees that touch it transferring the insecticide.

That's what I have always though when I see the CD case trap and the corrugated plastic Fat Bee Man trap.

There are enough other effective traps that you don't need to put pesticide in the hive. And the pesticide traps are not that effective.

I put Swiffer pads in the SBB it catches a few. IMO if your hive is strong you don't need to worry about beetles. And if your hive is weak it does not matter how many traps you use.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    >if a single beetle crawls out it will kill the bees that touch it transferring the insecticide.

That's what I have always though when I see the CD case trap and the corrugated plastic Fat Bee Man trap.

There are enough other effective traps that you don't need to put pesticide in the hive. And the pesticide traps are not that effective.

I put Swiffer pads in the SBB it catches a few. IMO if your hive is strong you don't need to worry about beetles. And if your hive is weak it does not matter how many traps you use.
    Come live in Florida or Georgia and your idea of when to worry about SHB will change dramatically.

I won't tell it's illegal but it's illegal.

Do what you want but I in good conscience couldn't sell honey out of a hive that has had an off label pesticide in it.

I'm in Georgia as well and despise the beetle as much as the next guy. I find that strong colonies, full sun, judicious use of oil tray bottom boards and beetle jail traps keep them at bay. It's more work to swap out bottom boards and fool with traps on every inspection but it is what it is.
    Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc

Quote Originally Posted by jbeshearse View Post
    Come live in Florida or Georgia and your idea of when to worry about SHB will change dramatically.
    I am sure I would. But I would also use oil traps in all my hives.

I wholeheartedly agree about the use of pesticides in the hive. Someone in NW Florida told my niece that is what she should do and I was just wandering if anybody on the forum was using it. I personally use beetle jails with Mann Lake scented oil.
    It is what it is!

Quote Originally Posted by johnmcda View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree about the use of pesticides in the hive. Someone in NW Florida told my niece that is what she should do and I was just wandering if anybody on the forum was using it. I personally use beetle jails with Mann Lake scented oil.
    I use diatomaceous earth in both my beetle blasters and bottom traps. I also do frame by frame shake outs if the SHB get to bad. I shake each frame from the top box onto a full bottom trap. The bees fly back to the hive and the SHB get trapped. I pull the whole top box off first without smoking and place it on a third full bottom trap Before beginning the shake out.

A couple of things to consider before using Advion Syngenta Gel:

- The active ingredient is Indoxacarb. Indoxacarb's effectiveness against roaches is due in part to the fact that it remains active after ingestion. Other roaches eat the dead roach, and are killed by the Indoxacarb. What does this mean for the beekeeper? If a hive beetle ingests the Indoxacarb and makes it out of the bait trap into the hive, then the still active Indoxacarb goes with it (Indoxacarb Insecticide Wipes Out Entire Cockroach Generations).

- Indoxacarb is lipophilic, so it would be reasonable to suspect that it could be absorbed, and retained, in beeswax.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls, and looks like work" -- Thomas A. Edison

Bad idea. There are some very innovative and effective physical and bait-type beetle traps that will not put your bees in danger.

jbeshearse, I really like the idea of DE in beetle blasters traps. A lot better than messing with the oil. Once the beetles are in the trap they are there to stay? They can't get out and spread the DE through the hive until the die?

I use beetle jails, 2 on the outer edges of each super, (1 on each side). I use apple cider vinegar as the bait. The beetles are quite attracted to it.
    Last edited by Cyberman; 08-03-2019 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Typos

I also use this mixture inside "Beetle Barns". The bees won't eat this.
    Place one or 2 of these on the bottom board.

To Kill Hive Beetles:
    1 teaspoon of boric acid
    2 tablespoons of Crisco
    Last edited by Cyberman; 08-17-2019 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Typos

I believe that this is a fipronil based small hive beetle trap that is approved in Australia. According to the studies, it is extremely effective and doesn’t contaminate the hive or kill bees.
    I only point it out because it is similar in concept to using a beetle barn baited with a fipronil based roach bait/poison.
    Not recommending anything….just information.
    https://apithor.com.au/
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by johnmcda View Post
    Your that guy on facebook that keeps posting on ways to treat your hives with pesticides lol. And all your hives are cooking to death :<