Dead queen

Thread: Dead queen

Default Dead queen

I have a question forone of my queens died in a newly installed package and there is about 4 capped queen cells and mostly drone cells would you let them go or just re queen the hive? Is there any chance that a laying worker eggs would be turned into queen cells?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Dead queen

No, laying worker eggs cannot become a queen. And it takes about 21 days or more for you to have a laying worker. So if it's been less days, that's not it. It's really up to you on what you want to do. You can order a queen, let them raise their own since they have queen cells, or combine with another hive. Your better off not combining. If your hive was light on drones that's probably why there's drones. You also might wanna look and see if you have a virgin queen running around, she might have killed your queen. How the queen die do you know?

I might have injured her when I marked her. I just installed the package on April 21st

Well way to soon for laying worker, don't worry about that. Your too new to be marking queens, next time practice on drones first to get the hang of it. If that's the case you probably did kill her. Like I said its up to you on what you want to do. Buying a mated queen is faster and you'll be back on track within a week or so. Letting them make a queen takes about 35 days I think from begining to her laying. If it's a new package bees will be dieing everyday so if it was me I'd buy a queen. Do you have any capped worker brood?

Very little capped worker

Then I would want to get a queen laying ASAP. So I'd buy one. But it's what you want to do.

Bee math. 10 days since you installed. Most of the bees will be dead from the original package at 45 days from install. If they are trying to make a queen, or you give them a frame of eggs to do so, it will be:

15 days to hatch a queen
    10 days for mating flight
    3-4 till first laying
    21 days more till new workers

50 days from the day they start until new bees hatch. You have 35 left.

Personally, I'd find a queen asap. (I have a hive with the same problem, and I'm getting a queen tomorrow).

> Is there any chance that a laying worker eggs would be turned into queen cells?

Yes. They will be very unlikely to be viable, but they almost always start queen cells and then tear them down. At the point that you have queen cells they are usually willing to accept a queen. After that they are not. This has been known for more than two centuries...

http://www.bushfarms.com/huber.htm#f...kersqueencells
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF