Hive swarmed

Thread: Hive swarmed

Default Hive swarmed

About 4 weeks ago I was worried about my hive swarming it was packed with bees, I talked to a local beekeeper and he said too add a couple couple supers and to checker board the with drawn come and foundation . I did that and they did move up into both supers , well today I watched them fly into the trees, got my ladder out set it up in the back of the pickup truck and I got them , so now I opened up the main hive and found capped queen cells , I made 4 nuc's and put a couple queen cell in each one ,a fram of brood , pollen and and Nector , did I do the right thing ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hive swarmed

Wow! You caught the swarm and made splits. If any one doesn't raise a queen you could combine.

It sounds okay but you may have spread it a little thin. The bees need to keep the queen cell(s) warm so I usually add at least two frames of brood and bees and open nectar and pollen to go along with the queen cell. You can also shake some bees off frames of brood into the splits to add numbers of bees to them but not so much that you take all of the nurse bees from the donor colony

I found lots of queen cells today also in the first hive that I looked at so I split that one into three. I made them on the strong side. It's done now so hopefully it will work out okay for you. Part of what can happen in some instances is some of the bees will leave the split and go back to the original colonies location so having a good number of bees in the split is what I try to lean towards. I have made up some weak splits that turned out okay so it is a judgment call. I saw over twenty queen cells in one hive today. I hope that it works out for you!!!

This is some summer splits that I did a few years ago with grafted cells and swarm cells. I love seeing the new queens

https://youtu.be/yeVzYUnr7UQ

I joined the party. I was working thru some two story overwintered nucs and found destryed cells and cells from which queens emerged and no eggs. They are dark carniolans and I couldnt spot a queen. I have a few more nucs to go thru tomorrow. All in all, my swarm suppression has worked pretty well so far.

I did load them up heavy with bees , I have some gueens coming at the end of May so will see how it go's . How long before the go laying worker, just thinking ahead, I can always recombined them if any don,t work out