Trying to decide about hives

Default Trying to decide about hives

While at the farmers supply store yesterday, I noticed they had some boxed assembled hives for sell. These are the Little Giant brand. For a 10 frame deep kit, they are asking 124.00 and 69.95 for a 10 frame deep single. Additionally, they are asking 58.95 for a medium super. These have plastic foundations.

Having these local to me, not having to pay for shipping etc. How would these prices compare to other major sites? Would I be better off with a online order somewhere for a better brand? Pictures are low quality, but maybe they will help for a opinion.

Ken

20160426_092534-L.jpg
    20160426_092550-L.jpg
    20160426_092557-L.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Trying to decide about hives

Go to Mannlake.com
    Spend $100 and shipping is free. Check their weekly specials. I think you will save some $$.
    John

Thanks John, I'll check them out.

I pay $55 for a medium super with 10 frames (wax foundation) at my local beekeeper store (lucky to have one local). I recently saw that same thing at an online retailer for ~$3 less. That's close enough for me to call it a wash and I definitely feel good about spending the bit of extra $ to a) support a local business, and b) have a local resource who considers me a customer when I have beek questions. However, I do plenty of online shopping as well so nothing wrong with that.

Mann Lake quality is better, too.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

Mann lake page # 7,,if you like plastic foundation...

I saw that stuff at my feed store, too, last summer. Those boxes seemed seemed a bit flimsy to me, and I didn't think they were inexpensive, either.

I agree with others, MannLake, Brushy Mountain, Kelley, Dadant, etc. will probably be a better long-term investment. And it's pretty easy when you're buying a full set-up to get to the minimum for free shipping.

My own fave, Betterbee, is local to me so I've no idea what their shipping is. But they sell very fine bee stuff.

If you take care of your woodenware right from the start you should have it for a long time, so buy the best you can afford to begin with. That will be the least expensive in the long run. Mixing stuff from a lot of different manufacturers can result in some awkward size mismatches.

I saw something similar at my local Tractor Supply, I popped in to check it out after I heard that they were going to start carrying bee supplies. It was...disappointing...I wouldn't buy it, or recommend it to a beginner. I have a [authorized] Brushy Mountain distributor just 10 miles further away, I'll go there whenever it makes sense not to have it shipped from BM or ML.
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b

I took a look at Mann Lake, the free shipping is impressive with stuff as heavy as wood. I'm sold on them for now. Prices were several bucks cheaper all around on their hives compared to what was in our feed store. Granted, their prices for feed and plants are pretty good, I get that their low item products that don't move very fast may reflect a higher price.

I'll probably purchase a few sets soon to get painted and aired out. Doubtful I'll get them going this summer, but you gotta get started somewhere. lol

Brushy Mountain Bee supply has free shipping on orders over $150.00 also. It's surprising how quickly you can find enough stuff you "need" to qualify for free shipping from Mann Lake or Brushy Mountain.

I have the same ones very well made and worth the money I can make my own but not for the price they want I'd say go for it

if you don't mind assembling equipment buy form Mann Lake. I make my own and save a lot more money. the only thing I buy is frames and foundation. You can buy them cheaper than buying the wood and ripping them to size. Mann Lake has the best frames hands down.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

These hives have shown up at several building supply and farm supply stores in my area. This is the first year that I have seen them, and it seems that they are all over the place up here.

Not sure of the quality because they are all boxed up, but they seem a little expensive to me.

Yeah, once I seen that Mann Lake had free shipping, I knew they would be the way to go. Now just to find the extra $$$. lol

If you've got some basic tools and minimal wood working skills you can build a deep box for a little bit of nothing. I was buying lumber at Menards last year and depending on the sales I had less then $7.00 a box in them on average. Some times less then $4.00 per deep.

Two weeks ago they had a rack of 36 inch 1x12 cut offs. There were only five left but they were only $1.36 each, two of those can make a deep.

Actually have a whole wood working shop over at my dads. Sadly he had the meter pulled so there is no power there and to transport the items here that I need is a PITA considering the other chores I have to keep up with. If I had the time, that would be something I would do. Might make a good winter project though to get a bunch built up. If he still had power out there, I could whip some up with a table saw jig in just a few hours.

Is bigken462 big STRONG Ken? A 10-frame deep box with frames full of honey can weigh a little over 100 pounds. You might want to consider 8-frame, or 8-frame mediums. I am 68 years old, and if I could start over I would have gone with 8-frame mediums.

I agree with the posts that suggest going with Mann Lake. I have had good experiences with them.

As far as plastic, I have found that plastic foundation is OK; all-plastic frames tend to warp here in Maryland because of summer heat.

"As far as plastic, I have found that plastic foundation is OK; all-plastic frames tend to warp here in Maryland because of summer heat."
    I adopted a couple hives from a gal that didn't want em anymore. She had some plastic frames in hers and they were warping in the Michigan summer heat too.

Lol, I might have mistyped somewhere in the past threads. I would only use the deeps for the brood boxes as I think is the norm from reading, and then use the other standard sized frames for supers.

Unless something else really pops out, I like Mann Lake enough to pull the trigger on a few things this next payperiod. The tough question remains if I need to sit out this season, or try to find someone selling nucs for a good price.

To be honest, I'm a lil impatient because it's something I think I will like doing. My gut says to wait till next spring, but the kid in me wants to try it now. lol

We saw some of these at a local farm supply store. The quality was terrible.
    Working beeyards at 7700' elevation in Ponderosa pine forest.
    Visit us at Best Raw Honey