Hive split itself? New beekeepers need opinions.

Default Hive split itself? New beekeepers need opinions.

We started our first beehive two weeks ago. It was a nuc installed into a langstroth. We've been feeding them sugar water and they've been in one super.

Today my wife noticed a group of bees fly by our back porch today and was worried it was our colony. I checked them when we got home, and there are still many bees in there, but seems to be less. I also couldn't find the queen Like I said, there are still bees in the hive, still honey, still brood (could see the little white larvas).

Is it possible the hive split itself? I hadn't added a new box until today because they still had 3 or 4 empty frames, but given todays action I did add a new box. We've been feeding them sugar water.

Can you comment on this? Did we wait too long to add a box? Is it likely they'll produce a new queen?

Thanks for all of the help. I couldn't find answers to this in another thread but if it's been addressed feel free to link me to that instead of hitting old topics again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hive split itself? New beekeepers need opinions.

When i first started alot of people here told me to feed but dont over feed them into a swarm. Maybe thats what happened? It sounds like they swarmed. Did you see a queen cell on the frames? Anything to give you a hint to a swarm?

I am by no means an expert, but id just wait a few days and see if you have eggs. Im betting they are good and all still in the hive.Those queens can be elusive

If there are eggs you are fine.

You did the right thing by coming here for help. Check the hive for queen cells. They should be getting food now from the flow to become a strong hive. You may be getting swarms from other hives..Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Ksmcdon90 View Post
    there are still bees in the hive, still honey, still brood (could see the little white larvas).
    While not definitive, seeing small larva leads me to believe your colony didn't swarm. Typically, when they swarm, the queen stops laying several days prior, so you often seen capped brood, but little or no open brood.

I hadn't added a new box until today because they still had 3 or 4 empty frames
    Correct. The rule of thumb is not to add the next box until they have drawn out about 80% of the comb on the current box. For a new colony with no drawn comb, I feed until they have drawn out comb for 2 deeps.

Is it likely they'll produce a new queen?
    If they swarmed, you should have seen queen cells - you didn't mention any.

I agree with zombeek - wait a few days and check again. They're probably okay.