Queen, lots of bees, no eggs or larva... ?

Default Queen, lots of bees, no eggs or larva... ?

Kind of weird situation in a split I recently made. From one of my best hives, I pulled a few frames that had eggs and larva on it. Added some honey frames and waited to see if they'd make a queen. At first, I thought the experiment was a failure, but left it for a couple weeks. About a week ago, I popped the lid and was surprised to see lots of bees in the hive, so left it as is. (Still in one medium box.)
    Today, I opened it again to take a closer look. Still lots of bees, and they're putting up nectar, honey, and pollen like nobody's business, but there are no eggs or larva. I pulled each frame and did see the queen.
    Not sure what's going on in there. Maybe a new queen that hasn't gotten started? She looked plump, and not what I think a virgin queen would look like.
    Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queen, lots of bees, no eggs or larva... ?

28-34 days from egg to laying so you're a little early. Give it another week to 10 days and check again.

In addition, you should think about another brood box (sooner than later). The bees have been free of feeding larvae so they have gone to town gathering nectar and pollen. Now they are running out of room and need space for the new queen to lay. With all those supplies, she is likely to ramp up laying in a hurry.

Great, Slow Drone! That makes me feel better.

Thanks, Chuck Jachens - will pop another one on and hope for the best.

If you find some comb with totally cleaned out cells, they have prepared a place for her to start. It's just around the corner then.

Based on my experience and what I have read on Beesource, a new queen starts laying just a few days to a week after a new beekeeper panics about no eggs or brood.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielD View Post
    If you find some comb with totally cleaned out cells, they have prepared a place for her to start. It's just around the corner then.

Based on my experience and what I have read on Beesource, a new queen starts laying just a few days to a week after a new beekeeper panics about no eggs or brood.
    .... sounds about right.. the first lesson for a new beekeeper "leave them alone' they are the experts"

Excellent. There were some cleaned out cells, but I did put on another super, so they should be set.