They planted corn this week...some bees died

Default They planted corn this week...some bees died

April 25, 2016
    I live in Iowa and they planted corn this week. I was gone for the week. When I went out to ck the bees this morning, I saw quite a few hives that had a pile of dead bees out front...the bees are in a farm location that is windy...I wondered it they filled a corn planter near by and the dust from the corn seed that is poison blew over toward my hives? See the photos I attached. Anyone have this happen?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bee a blessing to God and others.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: They planted corn this week...some bees died

With even just a breeze, maybe the bees were crossing the field through the dust clouds the planters kick up.

Quote Originally Posted by bentonbee View Post
    April 25, 2016
    I live in Iowa and they planted corn this week. I was gone for the week. When I went out to ck the bees this morning, I saw quite a few hives that had a pile of dead bees out front...the bees are in a farm location that is windy...I wondered it they filled a corn planter near by and the dust from the corn seed that is poison blew over toward my hives? See the photos I attached. Anyone have this happen?
    It's not so much was it nearby but what dust landed on what foraging plants along roads and fence lines.

Up in my neck of the woods, (or close enough), they did some studies and found that specifically during corn and soy planting, the insecticide-laced dust that resulted was a major cause of some significant bee deaths.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/alt_f...e_mais-eng.pdf

As a result, they have some new local regulations:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/neonicotinoid-regulations

I've never seen anything like that during planting season and some of my hives are a stone's throw from corn/soy fields. I understand that it happens, I just wonder why I seem to dodge the bullet?

Dodging a bullet may be something as simple as that on the corn-planting day there are alternate, strongly preferred sources of forage for the bees in the area other than at the ground level and more likely to be in contact with fugitive dist from the planters.

I know I live in an area where neo-nic treated (in combination with seed-applied fungicides) corn is planted every spring. But our farm fields are smaller and interspersed with hedgerows and woodlots and wetlands with lots of forage choices. I think it may be a very different story in areas where they do monocropping on a huge scale.

Enj.

It also depends on the equipment used in the corn planting. The newer pneumatic planters tend to blow the neonics into the air whereas the older direct planters didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by enjambres View Post

But our farm fields are smaller and interspersed with hedgerows and woodlots and wetlands with lots of forage choices.

Enj.

Sounds like a great place to be. And a great place for bees. Wish there were more of that!

Rock

I had that happen once. There a dust dampening additives the farmers can use to reduce how much dust flies up into the air. So far so good this year

So I have 2 hive sitting on the edge of what is to be a field of corn very soon. Guess I'll have a first hand experience. This isn't a big operation, maybe about 30 acres.

planting is coming soon, you could smell the roundup in the air today. So far so good.

a lot of the times they spray the fields at the same time and spray permetherin. that would hurt them too.

I have kept bees for quite a few years. This is the first time I have seen this on my hives. I dodged the bullet before but it caught up with me.

Quote Originally Posted by bentonbee View Post
    I have kept bees for quite a few years. This is the first time I have seen this on my hives. I dodged the bullet before but it caught up with me.
    any chance someone sprayed a yard covered in dandilions for weeds and grubs? and it just so happened to be at or around the same time?

The more I think about it, the more I think your hive was down wind of a sprayer of insecticide. whether residential or agricultural. That would cause a quick kill off like you saw and you said it was windy. Some guys spraying not too worried about sprayer drift with roundup, atrazine, and permethrin in tank. unless field down wind is non gmo or neighbors and done know what is there crop wise. non crop ground isnt important to some guys running sprayers.

The bees at Purdue's bee lab have been killed during corn planting a number of times due to the neonics blown into the air from the seed coatings. Details here: https://extension.entm.purdue.edu/be...outes-PLOS.pdf

I could imagine someone doesn't see a die off if the bees don't make it home.

When I logged in so I could see bentonbee's pics, there was an ad banner on the top of my screen for Syngenta. Not to hijack this thread but until just now I didn't know what Syngenta is...other than a huge nursery across the highway (1/2 mile) from a new yard I started at my bee's landlord request. When my country bees land owner asked me about placing 3-5 hives I thought, great! Pretty location, easy access, nursery across the road.

I started the new yard in January. Lots of spring bloom going on and good Saw Palmetto flow. I was quite surprised when I checked the supers about 10 days ago and no new stores in the 2 strong hives. I'm going to stop by today too. Here's what Syngenta really is:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/09/bu...cted.html?_r=0
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

I was told on this forum Neonics or systemic pesticides don't harm bee's. Not sure if these people are on the Chemical companies payroll or what. I see they started banning them out east because they kill bee's

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    any chance someone sprayed a yard covered in dandilions for weeds and grubs? and it just so happened to be at or around the same time?
    I do not think so. But I suppose it is possible. I live in a rural area, no nice sprayed yards around .