What do you do when bee(s) in veil?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you do when bee(s) in veil?

How do you all get honeybees out of your veil if they found a way in while working your hives?
    I'm embarrassed about my first year episodes and would like to hear some stories and solutions. I ran and couldn't get it off fast enough. My strings got in a knot too. No one saw me though.
    Still happens every so once in awhile going into my fourth year. Don't run anymore.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What do you do when bee(s) in veil?

Wish they weren't

While it's a rare occurrence, while assuring myself that the bee is trapped and doesn't want to sting me, I move away and free the intruder. The last time it happened, the bee broke the rules & stung me on the eyelid. I had almost forgotten that I knew all of those cuss words.
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

I had that happen last week. Just walked away from the apiary and removed veil. Turned it inside out enough to allow the bee to escape, and she flew off - presumably back to the hive. No drama - back to work for both of us.

I was working my bees Saturday when I got a call on my cell phone. It turned out to be a lady with several questions about some nucs I had listed for sale. In the middle of the rather lengthy conversation I realized I had a bee in my veil. I finished the conversation, walked a few yards away from the hives, removed the veil, and unloaded the bee. Its amazing what you can get used to over time.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls, and looks like work" -- Thomas A. Edison

What you DON'T do is try to get it out before you walk away from the hives...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

maybe get a jacket with attached veil?
    Terrence

Last summer i was doing a cutout, was on the ladder scooping bees into a bucket to transfer to the box on the ground when one climbed under the veil, across my face, and got trapped in the headband where she stung me on the forehead. I was on the ladder with hands full of bees. I finished what i was doing, climbed down the ladder, walked away from it all, removed my veil and scratched out the stinger.

I know that doesn't answer the question because i got stung, but even when you do get stung you still have to go slow and smooth. No sense turning a bad situation into a worse one.
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

I had one in the veil a few weeks ago. I thought she looked pretty close and then she landed on my cheek. No sting though. I walked back to the barn and unzipped the jacket enough to tip the veil over my head. Off she went. I ended up taking the jacket off completely and making sure that she was the only one.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    I ran and couldn't get it off fast enough.
    I cannot say I haven't run before popeye. The shame one time came not from the running, but from the realization that I had not zipped my veil on all the way when I realized there were at least two bees in close quarters. I didn't get stung though.

What type of veil?
    Have a jacket with it all in one piece. Nice!
    Also have the old school plastic helmet with a square folding veil.
    How you tie it matters. Pull it downward in the front with the D-rings. That way it's tight around the back of your neck and on your chest too. That's why the strings are so long. So you can wrap around then thru them D-rings. Experiment around and you'll get it. I'm not that good at explaining.
    Once I figured that out I never got bees inside anymore.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Now you tell me!, LOL. Did this for the 2nd time in a week making sure wife is al zipped, and didn't zip my vail up. Had a good 8 in with me, that were not warm and fuzzy. I started gettin tagged behind the ear and neck, squished one, and ran like a scalded cat to my buggy, and kept drivin till the buzzin stoipped, LOLO.. I swore the 1st time that woul dnever happen agin too,... NOT. Now it all about me till finished when puttin my suit on...... then help Momma, LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    What you DON'T do is try to get it out before you walk away from the hives...

Running does not help if the bee is in your veil much like when ones goes up your pants leg. Just about sure thing that you are going to get popped, just a matter of time and how far you are going to let him crawl up your leg.

Last week i got one in while working a hot hive. I saw it tried to kill it but it got away and hid in my ear. Well thats when i freaked it stung me. Did it hurt. Well i squeezed my ear together and killed it. My wife laughing cuz im running around the yard. She had to get it out with twezzers.

It think this should be a Beesource truism.

"You can't outrun a bee in your veil"

Feel free to tag line it!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Just bee thankful your wife or kids didn't catch you on video running around.

I have had bees in my veil also, I forgot to sinch the bottom draw string. Ended up with a dozen or in with me. Just walked away slowly and took off veil. Stings happen, just have to force yourself not to react because it will get worst in a hurry!

Hi Guys

I was just a kid. It was a long time ago. I was working my first commercial beeyard. Had untied the supers from the truck. And the beekeeper has me stretch out the rope, from the truck, as far as it would go.

I thought he would have me roll it up. But instead pauses a moment. Says that looks good. And has me bring the far end back to the truck. I was puzzled.

But even more so when he took the rope and tied it around my waist. Then tied the other end to the bee truck explaining that most new help runs off when they get the first bees inside their veil. And he was just tired of chasing them down.

We laughed. He untied me. And we went to work.

No problems for a few weeks, even with a few bees inside the veil. But then came that day.

An enraged yard. Dozens of bees inside the veil. Hundreds outside blocking my vision. Couldn't see and couldn't keep them off with smoke. Man I took off.

Learned a few things. Zigging and zagging doesn't help. But it does leave an interesting bee contrail. Running faster doesn't help as we run in slow motion compared to bee flying speeds. And without trees and brush to dodge behind, you have to go a long way before the bees thin out enough to take off the veil.

Embarrassing as it was and thinking I probably got fired at the time, it was just great humor for everyone else. And eventually, all these years later a good story

Had quite a few bees inside the veil since then. And learned it's best to dispatch a bee or two quickly. Use smoke to mask the smashed bee odor. And finish the work. Leaving them alive inside the veil, running around and fanning all that alarm pheromone just creates more trouble when a beekeeper is going to be working the hives for awhile.

If a person is just working a hive or two, step away from the yard. Get behind some brush or inside a vehicle and take care of the problem.
    Last edited by BWrangler; 04-25-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    "You can't outrun a bee in your veil!
    Two bees in the veil is better than one in the pants.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

run around and punch myself in the face

Quote Originally Posted by BWrangler View Post
    Hi Guys

And learned it's best to dispatch a bee or two quickly. Use smoke to mask the smashed bee odor. And finish the work.
    Agreed. Best way is to just reach up and squish those few with the veil fabric then smoke yourself to cover the scent.

Only caveat is that once I did this and accidentally pulled the veil off of my Pith helmet. So now I was wearing the veil around my neck. Not a good day. Don't let the elastic get too poor, it fails to hold the veil on the helmet very good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast