Worker w/ Pollen = Queen acceptance?

Default Worker w/ Pollen = Queen acceptance?

Good day all,

I installed my 3lb package 5 days ago. Today I was going to do a quick inspection and potentially release the queen. Turns out they ate through the candy and released her on their own! I did not take the frames out and visually spot the queen, as I didn't want to disturb too much this early unless necessary.

Everything seemed great.

Some workers had their butts in the air and were flapping their wings. I also spotted a worker returning with her pollen baskets full!

Is this a good indicator that the queen was indeed accepted and that this is a healthy hive so far?

P.S. I purchased pollen patties thinking they were mandatory (upon further research I now know some think they are not necessary).
    Since I saw that bee with pollen on her legs, should I just forget about using pollen substitute? Or will it be a good supplement for the brood once the queen starts laying.

I am very excited about how my first colony is going, and any input is greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Worker w/ Pollen = Queen acceptance?

The pollen coming in is not an accurate indicator of anything inside the hive, other than the hive has made enough comb to have room to store pollen.

With pollen coming in, I would not use pollen patties. You might store them, tightly sealed in the freezer and use them next winter.

Welcome to the world of beekeeping.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

I don't know yet but it indicates something. I hived a swarm 4 days ago, checked it Friday and had comb drawn about the size of my hand on 3 frames. Yesterday saw sporadic pollen being brought in, maybe 1 in 20. This morning for a few hours every other bee was full up with pollen then it shut off like a spickit. It seems like the boss in there said enough groceries, get back to building. I'll let you know in a couple days what I see but with plenty of comb yet to build the concentration on pollen for awhile has got to mean something

You can choose to feed or not. If a lot of pollen is coming in you probably don't have to feed and they probably won't take it anyway. Pollen coming in means that pollen is available. It doesn't mean a whole lot more. Bees collect pollen and they'll haul it in to a queenless colony, a laying worker colony or a normal colony. That's what bees do.

You'll find a lot of stuff you buy for beekeeping to be fairly unnecessary. Maybe nice to have or interesting but not exactly necessary.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    You'll find a lot of stuff you buy for beekeeping to be fairly unnecessary. Maybe nice to have or interesting but not exactly necessary.
    That applies to the stuff you read in books or online too. Some of it works for some people but all of it doesn't work for everyone.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

I don't know man, just about everything in the state is blooming right now. Blackberry, clover, privet, ligustrum and a dozen other ragweed flowers just in sight of my hive. If it was just a pollen available thing I'd think that's all they would be hauling. Could be a space to put it issue I guess as mine only have so much comb. I'll take the word for it I guess until proven otherwise

I am a firm believer in spring pollen pattie feeding especially on start up colonies. The pattie is there when it is cold and rainy for a week. I just supered up all my hives and left the patties they had and were still eating on them. Feeding pays. If your bees won't eat it, you have the wrong product.