1st ever Queen Cell. Queen math help needed

Default 1st ever Queen Cell. Queen math help needed

A friend of mine is keeping a hive at my house and he asked me to go into his hive with him today. He checked on the hive last Saturday but only pulled a few frames. This is a new package added on 3/28 to last years dead out and was put on drawn comb, new foundation and a 2 honey frames. Hive is 1 deep with sugar water to stimulate foundation build-out

2/3rds through the hive we found a picture perfect queen cell fully drawn out and capped. We located the existing queen and stuck her in a Nuc with brood/honey/foundation.

My question: How long before we go back into the original hive to check and see if the new queen has come back and is laying?

The packages came with lots of Drones (Huge drones) and my hive has some drone cells going as well, so I'm assuming she can mate.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 1st ever Queen Cell. Queen math help needed

A good rule of thumb is a virgin should be laying 2 weeks after emergence. Given the fact that you don't know how close to maturity the cell is and that they hatch approximately 7 days after the cell is capped over, I would add a week.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

16 days to hatch a queen
    10 days till mating flight
    3-4 days till first laying

So, yes, 3 weeks or so. Packages often supercede their queen, from what I understand. With 20 days' laying time for the previous queen, one would hope this wouldn't set them back overly much.

Wow

Great tool. Thank You

So it looks like she will emerge in a week or so. When is it safe to go back into the hive? Do we stay out for 3 weeks or should we be going in earlier to inspect? What should we be looking for if going in?

Thanks to all for the help here

AA

At this stage the only thing you need to do is make sure it has plenty of feed. If its on a nice spring flow you may not need to do anything more than just wait.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

To what Jim said it might be good to have a Plan B. Mating is risky business. The queens fight to the death until only one is left, then that one mates. On occasion, something goes wrong on a mating flight, like maybe a hungry bird spots her.

So depending on how you are equipped and what you want to accomplish, If there are multiple queen cells on different frames (common in swarms) you could try moving a frame with some queen cells into a nuc, with additional brood and stores. That way you can raise two queens. Insurance, or an opportunity to increase. If one queen doesn't make it, you can recombine the nuc with the parent colony.

Just one or two queen cells is likely a supercedure. The queen you moved to a nuc may be close to the end of her career. Don't feel bad if she fails.

Look on bush farm website he give you good list of info.