Walk away Splits - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Walk away Splits

Quote Originally Posted by AthensM50 View Post
    Do we have any type of statistics on how often these walk away splits work?.....if you have either Queen Cells and/or Fresh eggs....what percentage works and what are the percentage that this fails?
    Well, I can tell you from my experience last summer, out of 3 hives I ended up with 11. Some were swarm cells, a couple were virgin queens I happened to notice, some were walk-away splits I intentionally created from eggs/larvae. I've heard people talk about failure rates, queens not coming back, etc., but 100% of mine requeened successfully.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

The one time I tried a home-brewed version of a walk-away split it turned into a disaster, though I did, eventually, wind up with with a new queen, while keeping my old one, as well, in a different colony. But, as usual, my bees paid a steep price for my lack of experience. It was probably cluelessness more than anything else, but the drama of it put me completely off that method. Now I use Snelgrove boards which I like much better.

If you're asking about getting a cell drawn and a virgin queen mated and safely back and laying: Last summer I started twelve splits and with thirteen total tries (one took two attempts) I got twelve swarm- or emergency- cell queens cooked up, mated and established in their own colonies, and even more importantly, all survived the winter, even though I gave away half of them last summer.

It's quite astounding that bees can do this sort of thing so well. I feel like I'm just a bit player - the bees have got this all figured out. I just need to stay (mostly) out of the way once I set the stage.

Enj.

Just a update. The two queenless hives raised two very good laying queens. The vs tinted glasses that were recommended work well also. All is well Thank You all!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12