Walk away Splits
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Walk away Splits

Please bare with me after 14 beers. I opened my two over wintered hives today for the third time this year that were bursting with bee's. I found young drones, Capped brood, plenty of larvae in all stages and good laying patterns. Plenty of pollen, honey from pussy willow. My problem was I could not see eggs clear. My 61 year old eyes suck. I split both hive with = amount of everything I could see and placed them both in the original hive location. Finding local queens around here seems to be a problem. I like the genetics I have anyway. ? is do they need day old eggs to make a queen?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Walk away Splits

What you did should work fine.
    They need eggs or up to 2 day old larva.
    Live real time bee chat, most evenings...
    https://www.rumbletalk.com/client/chat.php?4%40HY_hmJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowhog View Post
    My 61 year old eyes suck.
    My 61 year old eyes do too. I use a pair of 3 or 3 power reading glasses if I know I'm going to be looking for eggs and early instar brood. It works well for me. Ray's advice above is spot on.
    David. The way you want to keep bees is most likely at least as good as any way that I could suggest. Probably better.

You set the boxes side by side on the original stand location, so the box that gets the most bees over the next few days to a week will be the box with the queen. It might need a super or another box.

The other box, it'll be the one making queens, check it in 7-10 days for queen cells, make more splits if you want at that time, or destroy all the smaller cells leaving just one or two or three of the best largest looking ones. Then leave it alone for 2-3 weeks before checking for eggs/larva.
    Live real time bee chat, most evenings...
    https://www.rumbletalk.com/client/chat.php?4%40HY_hmJ

Ray Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by lowhog View Post
    Please bare with me after 14 beers. I opened my two over wintered hives today for the third time this year that were bursting with bee's. I found young drones, Capped brood, plenty of larvae in all stages and good laying patterns. Plenty of pollen, honey from pussy willow. My problem was I could not see eggs clear. My 61 year old eyes suck. I split both hive with = amount of everything I could see and placed them both in the original hive location. Finding local queens around here seems to be a problem. I like the genetics I have anyway. ? is do they need day old eggs to make a queen?
    You couldn't see because of the 14 beers you consumed. Your eyes are just fine sober! lol
    Check the hive in three days. You should see queen cells being built. If not, swap a frame from the queen right hive that does have eggs. Another thing you might consider is checking into the local AA.... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    You couldn't see because of the 14 beers you consumed. Your eyes are just fine sober! lol
    Check the hive in three days. You should see queen cells being built. If not, swap a frame from the queen right hive that does have eggs. Another thing you might consider is checking into the local AA.... lol
    Where is the like button on this forum LOL! I'll check back sober in a few days and tell you what I see.

I have 66 year old eyes, and I keep a small magnifying glass on a lanyard around my neck (outside of my veil) when I'm looking for eggs or young larvae. It stays tucked into the breast pocket of my jacket when I'm not using it. I got it at a drug store and I don't think I paid more than 8 bucks for it. Works like a charm.

Enj.

Seems like all the foragers are coming and going equally on all hives so far today any who.

At 70, I find that a magnifying glass helps greatly. Without one, my youthful wife of 62 can still see eggs. Spend $2 for a glass!

I'm getting sidetracked wondering how someone can down 14 beers and still spell. At 61. I'm thinking it was a typo.

Going to the eye dr. for the first time this week, can't wait, because I don't even try looking for eggs. They all look like sunglare to me. Is that a reflection or could there be something white down there? Still have to try the magnifying glass trick, but holding the frame with 2 hands seems like a juggling act.

Altho at 14 beers, you'd probably stop caring if those are eggs or not.

Go to Amazon.com and order a pair of safety bifocal glasses with yellow tint lenses. The tint significantly increases the contrast and makes seeing eggs much easier. I get the 2.5-3.0 diopter. http://www.amazon.com/Bifocal-Safety...ilpage_o02_s00
    20 hives, 10 years, T and TF, All local stock

Bifocal magnifiers is a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yep, all my sunglasses have a cheater lens on the bottom. You can't do if you can't see

Looking for pickled eggs? I have a hard time through certain veils. A magnifying glass helps me. Tried the reading glasses, they helped seeing the eggs. The rest of the time I felt like I had drank 14 beers.

Hilreal I put a pair of those in the Amazon cart. I always let my wife finish the order so we get free shipping. Yikes! The free shipping Minimum when up! Those glasses will cost me a bunch after she's done.

@Newbeein NH:

If you wind up getting glasses, may I suggest getting a good anti-reflective coating, even though it costs more? I wear glasses all the time, using Varilux lenses (ones with continuous focus instead of tri- or bi-focals.) Last December, when I got new glasses I bit the bullet and added Crizal to the already-shocking price and this spring I am having far less difficulty seeing down into the cells, even though my prescription didn't change significantly. The difference is the anti-reflective coating on the lenses. I think older eyes don't handle glare as well.

Enj.

So I was going to start a thread.....but It falls with this title....

Do we have any type of statistics on how often these walk away splits work?.....if you have either Queen Cells and/or Fresh eggs....what percentage works and what are the percentage that this fails?

I know someone that swears by this....but they are always looking for a Queen!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by enjambres View Post
    @Newbeein NH:

If you wind up getting glasses, may I suggest getting a good anti-reflective coating, even though it costs more? I wear glasses all the time, using Varilux lenses (ones with continuous focus instead of tri- or bi-focals.) Last December, when I got new glasses I bit the bullet and added Crizal to the already-shocking price and this spring I am having far less difficulty seeing down into the cells, even though my prescription didn't change significantly. The difference is the anti-reflective coating on the lenses. I think older eyes don't handle glare as well.

Enj.

Another vote for Crizal coated lenses! They really do help cutting the glare which makes eggs easier to spot. I did a 5 frame split about 20 minutes ago and I also noticed that the black plastic foundation helps the eggs stand out too.

Thanks for that info, enj!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast