How long does it take a hive to realize it's queenless?

Default How long does it take a hive to realize it's queenless?

How long does it take a hive to realize it's queenless? Thank you for any response. David

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How long does it take a hive to realize it's queenless?

If you mean after the queen is removed......pretty quick. As in just a few minutes.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I agree, it only takes a few minuets. Split a hive and you will quickly hear the queenless half start a loud humming while the other half with the queen is quiet.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A, Never look down on anybody unless you are helping them up

Thank you to both of you for your responses. David, Charlestown IN

I agree they know their queen is gone pretty quickly. Everyone in the colony knows for a fact she's gone in two hours.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by WWW View Post
    I agree, it only takes a few minuets. Split a hive and you will quickly hear the queenless half start a loud humming while the other half with the queen is quiet.
    AND they are usually PISSED!
    zone 5b
    Back in 2019!

When inspecting hives and I need to find the queen for whatever reason I split the brood boxes first by the time I halfway through a box I can tell what box has the queen and what box doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by jms86233 View Post
    When inspecting hives and I need to find the queen for whatever reason I split the brood boxes first by the time I halfway through a box I can tell what box has the queen and what box doesn't
    Sorry for this question is off topic from what OP asked but….Please share your experience for a novice. What should I be looking, listening for? I have two deeps on each of my hives and though things might be different in other situations if there “hints” or keys to look for it would be a help for me. Thanks.

When you open the hive take one box ant set it on the lid or wherever you set them. I start going through the the bottom box first. The box without the queen will shortly start to roar as the bees notice the queen is not with them. You will hear one box noticeably noisier than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by thehackleguy View Post
    AND they are usually PISSED!
    Not necessarily. I handle so many very strong queenless colonies in my cell building operation, and I don't find them particularly pissed. Long time queenless colonies, maybe yes.

Michael,

That's good to know, I freely admit I don't have that much experience but last year I split six hives (walk-away) and for the most part the queenless hives were pretty agressive until they re-queened. Maybe it was just the amount of handling that I did during the splits.
    zone 5b
    Back in 2019!

Quote Originally Posted by WWW View Post
    very true, I just split a hive today and the Queenless half was loud and confused, and after 2 hrs now they still seem confused as I watch them fly in and out of the hive for one last flight before night fall.
    They are more relaxed noise wise, but their actions are just not the same as they were 3hrs ago. They walk in circles, act drunk it seems.

I don't know when the bees know but you will figure it pretty quick because ...trust me.. they will let you know.
    Think about it....Buy American

Quote Originally Posted by jms86233 View Post
    When you open the hive take one box ant set it on the lid or wherever you set them. I start going through the the bottom box first. The box without the queen will shortly start to roar as the bees notice the queen is not with them. You will hear one box noticeably noisier than the other.
    Don't know if you saw my divide an conquer thread but this isn't always the case you will hear me say I'm gonna check this box last because it's louder than the rest....guess which box she was in?

Quote Originally Posted by Danausplexippus View Post
    How long does it take a hive to realize it's queenless? Thank you for any response. David
    If the hive remains closed up, it may be a few hours. If the hive is broken up into separate boxes on separate bottoms, usually within about 15-30 minutes. Although it is usually a good indicator, the "queenless roar" hasn't been a 100% thing for me. Sometimes there is more than one quiet box, despite there being just a single queen (no virgins or doubles). Sometimes, as Harley mentioned (I think) - she's in a "loud" box.
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

36.2 seconds

Actually, in a study done in 2003 in Europe, the first indication of queen loss occurred in 50 minutes and peak activity was in 165 minutes.
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic