Different Kind of Package Bees Crate

Default Different Kind of Package Bees Crate

Good morning all!

I am happy to announce my first 3lb package of Carniolans arrived this morning. I am at work, so my mother actually received the package for me.
    I plan to install them into my 8 frame hive this evening after work.

There were two questions I have:

This package looks different than any other package I have seen before, is there anything I need to be aware of. (There is no syrup can. I was notified by the sender that they use a gel-based food now.)
    PackageBees.jpg

Also with my 8 frame hive, there are only medium supers. I have 4 supers all the same size. For the install, is only 1 super necessary? Then just add as they draw out the comb of 5 or so frames?
    Or should I be starting with 2 supers from the beginning.

This will be my first backyard beekeeping experience. I have attended a hands on class, and read several books, but most were for 10 frame hives that featured deep supers.
    Any advice is appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Different Kind of Package Bees Crate

One newbie to another (though I am six hives ahead of you right now, but only by a few weeks): use the single hive body for now. Once they hit about 70-80% drawn comb add the second body. FWIW, I have deep boxes for hive bodies. I do use a second empty body on top of the inner cover to hold jars of syrup. So far nobody has tried to move into the empty box. When the time comes I will just add frames to that body.

My first two packages are a few weeks older and they are doing great. Capped brood and stores in all the right places. I'm sure there are other ways to skin the cat, but this one has worked for me.

Good luck.

That's pretty heavy duty, looks like louvered aluminum box with mesh on the outside...?! Where'd you get them and how much did it cost to have them shipped?

I purchased them from Noble Apiaries (AKA packagebeesforsale.com). They have gotten great reviews everywhere I looked. They said that UPS no longer allows them to ship with traditional syrup containers. So they use a "gel-based" food.

The shipping was quite expensive. $120 to overnight them from California to Illinois. I was late to the game this year and most places local were sold out of packages.

How do get them out of that prison?

I also received my 3lb package from Noble this morning. I just got home about an hour ago and installed them into my 8 frame hive. I only used one medium for now.

My question is: I am using a pail feeder inside the hive (on top of inner cover, surrounded by an empty medium, with out cover on top).

Am I correct to use the entrance reducer to reduce the entrance down to the smallest opening?

That's what I did.

There are currently hundreds of bees flying around. I guess I was just concerned about them all finding their way into that one small opening. Seems like I'd need to leave the reducer out completely to help them find the queen and get into the hive?

Or would that only promote robbing since I am feeding?

I have another hive (just started two days ago from captured swarm) about 4ft away from this one.

The other experienced members could correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you are correct in using the smallest opening. I have seen people even plug that up with grass to keep as many bees in as possible. As long as there is room for a bee to squeeze through I think the ones on the outside will find there way in. I will be using an entrance feeder that pretty much keeps the entrance almost completely closed.

Did you have any trouble opening and installing your bees with this super secure-looking crate they came in? It seems like spraying them with 1:1 syrup will be a bit difficult since there are metal vents as opposed to the normal mesh screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood271 View Post
    I also received my 3lb package from Noble this morning. I just got home about an hour ago and installed them into my 8 frame hive. I only used one medium for now.

My question is: I am using a pail feeder inside the hive (on top of inner cover, surrounded by an empty medium, with out cover on top).

Am I correct to use the entrance reducer to reduce the entrance down to the smallest opening?

That's what I did.

There are currently hundreds of bees flying around. I guess I was just concerned about them all finding their way into that one small opening. Seems like I'd need to leave the reducer out completely to help them find the queen and get into the hive?

I have another hive (just started two days ago from captured swarm) about 4ft away from this one.
    Newbie here as well. I hived 2 packages in single medium boxes each last Thursday. I had the entrance reducer installed on the smallest opening and the screened bottom board closed with cardboard. Immediately after install, there were a lot of bees in the air, but there were bees at the entrance with their butts in the air fanning what I am assuming is their Nasonov Pheromone, letting the others in the air know where to go. All seemd to go well with the install, and the number of bees flying quickly diminished. I think the consensus is to have the entrance reducer on the smallest opening so as to make it easier for them to defend from robbers. Closing the SBB is also supposed to help curb absconding. Also, I lightly sprayed my plastic foundation with 1:1 syrup as well. Like I said, all seemed to go well. Praying it continues. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee'sBees View Post
    I purchased them from Noble Apiaries (AKA packagebeesforsale.com). They have gotten great reviews everywhere I looked. They said that UPS no longer allows them to ship with traditional syrup containers. So they use a "gel-based" food.

The shipping was quite expensive. $120 to overnight them from California to Illinois. I was late to the game this year and most places local were sold out of packages.
    Oh wow... those are some expensive bees. :O

Good luck!

No problem at all with the install. The queen was in the little, white plastic cage. I was expecting a wooden one with screen. I guess I've seen more of those in videos and books. The candy end was covered by a cap, which I removed. Placed her cage on the center frame (candy end up).
    Spraying the bees was a little more difficult with the metal louvers. I held the cage up and sprayed up into the lovers. Then when I removed the queen and the feeder I sprayed a little more in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee'sBees View Post
    The other experienced members could correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you are correct in using the smallest opening. I have seen people even plug that up with grass to keep as many bees in as possible. As long as there is room for a bee to squeeze through I think the ones on the outside will find there way in. I will be using an entrance feeder that pretty much keeps the entrance almost completely closed.

Did you have any trouble opening and installing your bees with this super secure-looking crate they came in? It seems like spraying them with 1:1 syrup will be a bit difficult since there are metal vents as opposed to the normal mesh screen.

Awesome! Thanks for the response, in about an hour I will be installing mine. Finger's crossed.

Could you post a picture of the box opened? Glad the install went well!
    zone 5b
    Back in 2019!

13063310_10157340453275355_4348870168328953104_o.jpg
    Plastic "Bee Bus" feeder with firm gel inside

13002429_10157340453280355_5549677808958507020_o.jpg
    Plastic Queen cage (no attendants)

Those are good gloves. Thats what i wear. Only place they get a stinger thru is between the thumb and finger. The black on the glove. And entrance feeders can start robbing so watch for that.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 04-21-2016 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood271 View Post

That's what I did.

Your instincts are good. A small defendible entrance is best. There may indeed be drifting. I suggest evening them out by swapping locations several times.

One medium is fine for a three pound package but watch it closely for crowding. Put second box on when eight of ten are being drawn. Move a brood frame up in the middle of the second and one at a time move the undrawn bottom frames in to the center to get them drawn. Otherwise the bees may never draw them as the outside position is cool and waxmaking is a business best done when warm.

120 bucks just for shipping????