Too many bees

Thread: Too many bees

Default Too many bees

I have a unique problem, I have 7 hives, their all 4 years old have have comb in all of the hives, have a brood box, a second deep, with brood and pollen with top feeders, I have too many bees this season, they are bearding in the front of the hives, I've checker boarded them, the queens are going crazy, lots of brood and pollen, but not a lot of nectar.
    I've placed granulated sugar in the top of all the hives, when I open to see, there's lots of bees eating the sugar. Trees are blooming, crab apple locust, the host of spring flowering trees. I don't want to purchase anymore boxes, so I'm going to let them swarm early and take my chances, I have two nuc boxes nearby with swarm lure, so if they take off hopefully they will go to those boxes, and I can give them to my bee friends who don't have many bees.
    Anyone have any answers to my overwintering problem of too many bees?
    Heck, last year they all died, this year I have too many, what's a keep to do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Too many bees

Split them and sell the splits?

Why are you feeding them?

Enj.

Pull the sugar. They don't need it in fact you most likely need a super or two. It sounds like they need room.

They are probably not eating the sugar, but are removing it from the hive. Try removing it for them and adding a super or two.

X 2...
    Quote Originally Posted by enjambres View Post
    Split them and sell the splits?

Why are you feeding them?

Enj.

Your bees are saying they need room. Either make a few splits or add a few supers. I am in Kentucky and will be supering my hives this weekend. The early spring and early blooms mean my bees are ahead of where they usually are this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Warren View Post
    I have a unique problem, I have 7 hives, their all 4 years old have have comb in all of the hives, have a brood box, a second deep, with brood and pollen with top feeders, I have too many bees this season, they are bearding in the front of the hives, I've checker boarded them, the queens are going crazy, lots of brood and pollen, but not a lot of nectar.
    I've placed granulated sugar in the top of all the hives, when I open to see, there's lots of bees eating the sugar. Trees are blooming, crab apple locust, the host of spring flowering trees. I don't want to purchase anymore boxes, so I'm going to let them swarm early and take my chances, I have two nuc boxes nearby with swarm lure, so if they take off hopefully they will go to those boxes, and I can give them to my bee friends who don't have many bees.
    Anyone have any answers to my overwintering problem of too many bees?
    Heck, last year they all died, this year I have too many, what's a keep to do?
    Control the mites that will probably have built up to lethal levels come August.

They control their population with swarms if you let them, though you loose some opportunities. If you want to have them split but don't want to do it or buy equipment, you may find someone who will help you for the splits, or even pay some. Buying equipment will be gained back and more selling the nucs too.

Went to a buddy who has bees for a living, said he didn't want my bees, he is into genetics. He wants his own bees, called couple of others, they just got packages in the last couple of days! I rocked the hives, my, their getting heavy already, if this continues, I'll be extracting around the last week in May, 3 weeks ahead of last year!

wait....what?......how are they 4 yrs old if they all died last yr

The hives (equipment) are 4 years old but the bees are new this year to
    make up the 7 hives now. The grammar is killing me though I'm not the
    best writer either.
    List them for sale on CL within several counties also.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

My grammar is not the best, sorry, I'm listing in the local bee club this afternoon to see if there are any takers for my over achievers. On a side note I rocked my hives last night and there getting heavy and it's only the middle of April, many trees are blooming, apple, crab apple, locust, dogwood. There is also a new plant available for my bees and their blooming, that is a turnip plant for a cover crop, there are several fields around my house, the turnip usually dies during the winter with the cold weather, but in Indiana it didn't get that cold. each field is around 50 to 100 acres, their full of turnip blooms, so are my bees in a flow due to the turnip plants. It was raining today, I'm doing an inspection Saturday, hopefully I can thin the bees when I do the inspection.