What is the name of the SHB trap that is plastic, multi-level?

Default What is the name of the SHB trap that is plastic, multi-level?

I have seen, someplace, a SHB trap that was plastic and multi-level. The claim was it would not get propolized by the bees... I want to try one of these but can't recall the name so am having trouble finding them.
    Anybody have experience with these?

Ok, I finally found it here --> http://www.gabees.com/store/product_...roducts_id=744

Has anybody used these that can say if/how it worked?
    Last edited by LeifLiberty; 04-19-2016 at 08:19 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What is the name of the SHB trap that is plastic, multi-level?

It looks like the same thing as the CD case. Which many have gone away from in resent years.

Oil traps (or DE) are your best protection. Swiffer pads, dryer sheets may also be worth researching.

is there an advantage to something like like the "beetle jail"? I like the idea of something being reusable and not a problem if the hive is not perfectly level. I want the beetles and or any pests, dead.

I do not like the idea of dryer sheets because of the chemicals in dryer sheets. I do not like the idea of the other pads because the beetles are still alive and presumably could lay eggs in the sheets/pads.

I used "beetle jail" and did not get very many in it, seemed there were more under the tabs than inside. Someone said they had luck when they baited it with the "bait" fermented; banana peel, sugar, vinegar and water. Makes good bait for wax months, beetles, yellow jacket...

I have used the Swiffer pad with some success but it does catch a bee here and there. Beetle eggs not directly on a food source won't be a problem. If you spill syrup in the SBB you will get beetle larva there, no syrup no beetle larva. (water can also mix with the debris in the bottom and grow larva).

So if beetle jail is not very effective, is there a more effective reusable trap?