Oh my GOSH! Massive hive removal!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Oh my GOSH! Massive hive removal!!

So for anyone who cares....I ballparked a 250-300 price depending on time for the shed removal and was told oh wow thats alot. LOL So it doesn't look like that will happen. Its less then I want to do the job. But if I can make 300 on my day off then that a win, plus if it is really a 3yr old hive and hasn't swarmed recently, then I could make splits and sell them for more profit....eventually. Oh well maybe they'll get lucky and find someone willing to do it for free lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I haven't had a single person desire to take the next step when I tell them it's going to be "at least" $250 and I will only cut it apart like it were my own house... but not make any additional repairs.
    That's fine by me... I have almost no desire to do a cutout. It's so much cheaper and easier just to grow your own bees.

Now if it's 4' off the ground hanging off someone's deck I'd probably do it. The guys doing it professionally like Mr. Beeman deserve every dollar they get from their work.

I do maybe 10 removals a year. Most are for homeowners and, if asked, I do the entire job. I get about the same as other folks here that do these. There is only one other full service guy around here and he is an unscrupulous thief. His rep precedes him. He subs out everything except the bee hive part and his rates are robbery.
    I am looking for advice on the wording of a contract??? In the past its been all verbal on a "handshake". This isn't the way to do business I know but it's all been very small scale so I rationalized this shortcoming. I also don't have insurance. I make this clear before starting. I've priced insurance and the cost is so high that I've never gotten a policy. What are people paying and what category are these policies being written for? The last stumbling I've come across is removals for large companies. I've been stiffed one time because the company Jersey around with me and told me that the work order was not submitted blah blah blah. Folks want timely removal for fear of stings, liability etc but when it came to paying it was too much trouble.
    I think I need to get more legit or stay lower under the radar. Yes there are risks but everything is a risk and closing who to work for help a little I guess.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by challenger View Post
    I've priced insurance and the cost is so high that I've never gotten a policy. What are people paying and what category are these policies being written for? The last stumbling I've come across is removals for large companies. I've been stiffed one time because the company Jersey around with me and told me that the work order was not submitted blah blah blah. Folks want timely removal for fear of stings, liability etc but when it came to paying it was too much trouble.
    I think I need to get more legit or stay lower under the radar. Yes there are risks but everything is a risk and closing who to work for help a little I guess.
    Thanks.
    Contact Al Ford at TxIns.com [email protected] He is based in Wharton, TX. He does a great job working with beekeepers. I think its 2 mil in liability, covers bee yards, honey sales, removals, ect. Policy is good until you gross over $200K in the business. Cost depends on state and underwriters, but runs $4-800/year. Use me name as a reference if you would like, Michael Leidner, Orange Grove, TX.

Get an accounting program (quick books is easy and cheap). Submit estimates and invoices. You will have documentation to take companies to court. Additionally, I have found that the businesses that need removal services, require insurance. The cost of the insurance is covered by two removals for me.

If people don't want to pay, I simply say "no problem, call me if you need me". The fact is, they have not yet had a "crisis moment". They will have one (at least in South Texas) and they will call, and they will pay. I accept credit cards, which helps these customers out.

Thanks. I will contact him.
    "Challenger" as in the Mopar muscle car. Not a personality description .
    Keeping bees to raise money for chordoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampsquash View Post
    Out of curiosity how do you determine what you charge someone? I find everyone thinks it should be free lol
    I'll do one for 250 but it would have to be rather simple. Most of mine are between 500 and 600. As for the people who think it should be free: I try to educate them on why they need someone who knows what they are doing. For example: construction experience (so things don't get torn up/destroyed needlessly and the contractor doing the repair will have an easier job, thus cheaper for the property owner), removal experience, completely remove the comb and clean up the space and not leave the property a mess, the crazy amount of money I have tied up in tools and equipment, etc. If they insist it should be free I ask what they do for a living and would they be willing to do that for me at no charge. I also explain why they don't want to spray the bees because of the mess that will cause with the result being costly repair bills - far above what I would have charged for the removal.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiebooks View Post
    I'll do one for 250 but it would have to be rather simple. Most of mine are between 500 and 600. As for the people who think it should be free: I try to educate them on why they need someone who knows what they are doing. For example: construction experience (so things don't get torn up/destroyed needlessly and the contractor doing the repair will have an easier job, thus cheaper for the property owner), removal experience, completely remove the comb and clean up the space and not leave the property a mess, the crazy amount of money I have tied up in tools and equipment, etc. If they insist it should be free I ask what they do for a living and would they be willing to do that for me at no charge. I also explain why they don't want to spray the bees because of the mess that will cause with the result being costly repair bills - far above what I would have charged for the removal.
    Yeah thats alot of what I go through when people call me. 3 calls this week and nobody was interested. My fave was today. A older european woman called me basically begging me to remove them for free. LOL Telling me shes retired and has very little income and not to mention is a hour away up the highway. I'm like maam my truck doesn't run for free and I don't have anyone paying my mortgage, electricity or water bills for free. She has a legit 1k+ job. They are coming out of a vent on the second story. All work would have to be done from a very tall ladder(scaffolding would be better) and siding, etc would have to be removed and then replaced and put back together. Seriously a multiple day project. I knew quickly this isn't something I want to try to do esp when she said she wants one price no hourly add ons or more money if it bigger then expected. Can't do it...Won't know what I'm dealing with until I take the lid off the can of worms. The lady was literally almost crying about this whole thing. Just don't get why people think a beekeeper should bend over backwards and be thrilled to remove them for free lol.

I charge $80 to $100 per hour and I keep the bees I do this as a part time job. Most people don't compline to much when you tell them the process and what it takes. Hear in Arkansas you have to be licensed by the state and carry insurance to charge and remove bees, but starting in July you have to have an exterminator License to remove bees. This comes with additional cost for insurance, bonding, and fees to the state. There is some people that do it for free once or twice and some that charge but don't carry the license which makes it hard for the ones that try to do it the right way. They few of us that are currently license not planning to renew our license. I only do about 30 to 40 removals a year, not sure who is going to pick up these removals but sure someone will.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampsquash View Post
    Out of curiosity how do you determine what you charge someone? I find everyone thinks it should be free lol
    Everyone has the right to think what they want. But removals are anything but free. About 80 dollars in hive equipment, gas, use of a vehicle in general, time, knowledge as well as outright ability to get them. Bees in a house is damage to that house. I consider it a repair more than anything.
    Everything gets darker, as it goes to where there is less light. Darrel Tank (5PM drawing instructor)

What kills me is the cash guys. I start at $250, then charge $50/hr. The bees I deal with are likely aggressive (south Texas), some are highly aggressive. I have insurance, equipment, truck, fuel, permitting, ect costs. The cash guys have none of these costs. I try to explain that I am the only legitimate business operating in the area, everyone else is cash only and will not be there in the future. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Many of them just care about cost and are looking to get it for free. Sometimes I offer to let them mow my lawn for free, heck they will get vitamin D that they need, so they should be more than willing to do it. I usually end the conversation with, "you can find someone to do it cheaper, if that's what you are looking for," again, some realize what I am saying, others not so much. It's ok, the state and feds are catching up with the cash guys, even if I have to direct them. With the cash guys out of the way, I will be able to raise my rates to what they should be.

It's not just your time, equipment and bee expertise they are purchasing. You also have to factor in your construction experience. Someone with little experience can easily cost the homeowner more in additional repair work than the removal costs. Easily.

Quote Originally Posted by jbeshearse View Post
    It's not just your time, equipment and bee expertise they are purchasing. You also have to factor in your construction experience. Someone with little experience can easily cost the homeowner more in additional repair work than the removal costs. Easily.
    Absolutely!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12