Oh my GOSH! Massive hive removal!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oh my GOSH! Massive hive removal!!

We got a call today for removing a hive, said they sprayed last year, but they are still alive... Anyway, we get there and start digging in, seems like no body's home, and we haul off a bunch of old comb. Go back later with more supplies and manpower, find there is at LEAST a 4 deep hive spread above this window... We got about 1 1/2 drink coolers, the big ones, FULL of honey, going back now with even more equipment for bees. Also, we are getting paid $250 bucks for doing this job, (you can guess my dad is VERY happy )so, will take lots of pic's, and be back tonight!
    Have 4 hives, as of 5/30/2017

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Oh my GOSH! Massive hive removal!!

Can't wait to see those pics!

Why to cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by My-smokepole View Post
    Why to cheap.
    Out of curiosity how do you determine what you charge someone? I find everyone thinks it should be free lol

Beestudent, why start the cutouts so late in the day? Same story last year when that late season one went to pot.

There is good money in doing this Servise. And cost to the beekeeper. I get between 75 and 100 per man hour with a minimal charge. An that is almost to cheep. With all the tools and supply's that I may bring or tie up could well be a several thousand dollars. I like a return in my investment. As a full time contractor after I have open up there home I offer to rebuild it. So that no one would never now I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampsquash View Post
    I find everyone thinks it should be free lol
    You got that right. I told myself that I was not going to do cutouts. Next thing I know I have done 4 and the last one was meaner than when Marshall Dillion woke up. Now folks call, I go look and they say, "well if you want the bees it should be free". They still have no clue about how these AHB are down here. Plus the $$$ to hive them and replace the queen and dispose of the drones and clean my equipment and fuel for my pickup and take time away from my bees.....ok I will stop but for free.......they can keep the bees as I have plenty.
    John

well, some twists and turns... The massive hive I had mentioned, was truly massive. 100+ lbs honey, at least 20-25 deep frames of old brood comb, 1/4 frame brood, and about 1k +/- bees... What happened from the beggining, was this:

at noon or so, we get this call about having bees, they were discovered last year (but from the size of the nest and the color of the brood comb, they'd been there AWHILE...) anyway when they were found, exterminators left "powder" or "pellets" or some such thing, and "bees were dropping like crazy" was what we got from them... but, alas, they were still there. So, we got there, (they are having the whole house re shingled, and the nest was conveniently located right in the way... you get the picture.) got to tearing into it, didn't see anybee. kept going after re-supplying, and found the huge nest. retreating, and arming ourselves with 55-quart tubs (for honey) finished tearing out most of it, but the bees were spread all over the place, and 2 blobs of bees were unable to be removed at the moment. So, we had to leave the bees (really not that many...) I framed the single piece of brood and left it there next to the bees (really, really hoping they collect over the brood... was some capped brood, didn't get a close look to see any larva or eggs... and I THINK I saw the queen, but might not have...) There was a possibility of rain, so we threw a tarp over the hole. (don't know if the bees will be OK after all this...) so, in the end what sounds like what happened, was this was a booming hive last year, they powdered them, most of them died, they made it into winter with a small group of bees, and have little to no chance of survival as i see it.

So, an update: (wrote everything above last night) all the honey is removed, the bees are moved home now, and we got paid. The bees we hived in a nuc with 2 combs, and have feed on them. Will they survive? I don't know. Is it possible that late last year, they fed the bees that powder, the queen died, and some winter bees made it through winter? because I didn't see a queen (there wern't many to look through) and there was drone brood in some worker cells (about 30-40 cells capped, one had his head sticking out, and no larva or eggs) so, maybe?

have 3 videos that will be posted tomorrow sometime probably20160418_205503.jpg also, JWCarlson, we started at like 1PM, so no, not late at night...

Quote Originally Posted by beestudent View Post
    said they sprayed last year, but they are still alive...

exterminators left "powder" or "pellets" or some such thing, and "bees were dropping like crazy" was what we got from them...

and arming ourselves with 55-quart tubs (for honey)...
    Are you going to eat or sell that honey? Doesn't sound like a good idea.

Nice fun otherwise!

If all you see is drone brood you're probably hosed.

Also... I wouldn't eat or sell or feed that honey back to bees. I don't know how you dispose of that kind of thing...? Burn it, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by My-smokepole View Post
    There is good money in doing this Servise. And cost to the beekeeper. I get between 75 and 100 per man hour with a minimal charge. An that is almost to cheep. With all the tools and supply's that I may bring or tie up could well be a several thousand dollars. I like a return in my investment. As a full time contractor after I have open up there home I offer to rebuild it. So that no one would never now I was there.
    I charge a $100 per hour plus expenses plus my helpers wages and I keep the bees. Last one I did was $1650 and they closed up the wall.
    But every sunday afternoon he is a dirt track demon
    In a '57 chevrolet- Jim Croce

Quote Originally Posted by Colino View Post
    I charge a $100 per hour plus expenses plus my helpers wages and I keep the bees. Last one I did was $1650 and they closed up the wall.
    Wow really? I wish I could get something close to that...I say 2-300 for hives in soffits and 90% of the time I get a no thanks. People here seem to think I should be more then thrilled to remove them for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Colino View Post
    That equates to around 1200 US dollars..... not a bad take.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    That equates to around 1200 US dollars..... not a bad take.
    Yes but I just did one today as a favor I owed and all I got was some stinkin bees! But that aside, I think people are not charging enough. It takes some acquired skills to do a proper cut out especially if it also includes reconstruction of the structure. When I quote a cut out I put right in the contract that all bees and usable comb become property of my Apiary. If they try to use the bees as a bargaining chip I tell them they can keep the bees and then raise my price. Generally they quit bargaining and take the original quote.
    But every sunday afternoon he is a dirt track demon
    In a '57 chevrolet- Jim Croce

I charge $75 to get out of the truck, and look. Applied to any eventual cutout. I charge $75 per hour additional. Most folks in this area dont have much money. They're either too broke or too cheap, so Seldom do I have to do a cutout. Thats what it takes to get me to do one.

I have 35 years of construction experience, so I'm very qualified to do the demolition. Closing up is theirs. Repairs, if they wish, are a separate bill. But at least I'm good at it.

If that doesnt work for them, I tell them to enjoy their bees.

I will do them for charity sometimes. But when I roll up on a $200,000 home its not going to be free or cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebees View Post
    I charge $75 to get out of the truck, and look. Applied to any eventual cutout. I charge $75 per hour additional. Most folks in this area dont have much money. They're either too broke or too cheap, so Seldom do I have to do a cutout. Thats what it takes to get me to do one.

I have 35 years of construction experience, so I'm very qualified to do the demolition. Closing up is theirs. Repairs, if they wish, are a separate bill. But at least I'm good at it.

If that doesnt work for them, I tell them to enjoy their bees.

I will do them for charity sometimes. But when I roll up on a $200,000 home its not going to be free or cheap.
    Yeah I hear ya....I got a call yesterday for a couple year old cutout(at least that's what they said) in a shed. I'm trying to come up with a quote that they will accept. I feel like they might be cheap even though its a fairly nice side of town. They have someone who will rebuild the shed flooring so I don't have to worry about that(seems to me that most of the time that's just another way to be cheap). I just don't get why people expect free removal down here. It ain't cheap driving a V8 truck around and wasting half my day or more removing your bees.

$250 for the removal in the OP is way too cheap. The bees wont make it, and the honey should be destroyed. The only thing of value you got was $250, and you worked 8 hours or so it seems, so $30/hr??? Not a chance I would do that.

I feel I am under charging, but I have some hack jobs in the area that operate cash only businesses that do it cheaper.
    I charge $250 for the first hour of work and $50/hr for each subsequent hour.
    If the hive is under a home, in an attic, or above 12', the rates are $300 for the first and $75 for each subsequent hour.
    I am the only legitimate business operating in the immediate area. As I do more and more removals and get a name out there, the rates will increase.

Anyone that hems and haws about rates, I tell them "I offer professional service with professional results, you can find it cheaper, if that's what you are looking for".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast