Starting packaged bees in a nuc or brood.

Default Starting packaged bees in a nuc or brood.

I have packaged bees arriving (first time). I have access to a deep frame brood box (10) and an empty nuc box. I've been advised that there is too much room in the brood box to start a group of packaged bees and that if I have the nuc box it is better to start them in limited space on frames that have wired wax foundations. I have not found anything to back that up online. So the question: Should I start packaged bees in a brood box with 10 frames or start them in the nuc box with 5 and transfer them in a few weeks to the brood box once they are established? Thanks for thoughts. I am in Texas and it seems that I am late to the game at this point.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Starting packaged bees in a nuc or brood.

I'd just hive them in a regular box. I rarely hive into a nuc unless it's a real small package or swarm or unless I'm parking them for some reason. Where you are, should be fine.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

save yourself the extra work of swapping them out later - This is why I got rid of all my 4 framers - I just split in full size med boxes - need more room - pull the bottom off and stack on top of a deep

a nuc box is almost too small for a 3 pound package. reduce the entrance size for awhile on the 10 frame box.

Thank you all!