Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Migratory Pollinators Coming Nearby - Should I Prepare in Any Way?

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  HillBilly2 
#1 ·
So, I live about 200 yards or so from a commercial orchard. It's a double-edged sword: the apple blossoms are nice and, even better, they have acres and acres of clover around the trees. On the other hand, they are always spraying God-knows-what when the trees aren't in bloom. Had a small pesticide kill last year - I'm guessing they spray, it floats down on clover...but who knows? A neighbor could've doused their garden with Sevin...

Anyway, they bring in pollinating bees every Spring so I end up with 30-50 hives within a couple hundred yards of my bee yard. Should I be thinking about doing anything to protect against/take advantage of a situation like that?

Just wondering,
Wally

#3 ·
You should be making the time to get to know your neighbor and learn what they are applying and when. If the names of the pesticides don't mean anything to you than you need to educate yourself. Many orchards will cut the clover beneath the trees to give the apples the edge in pollinator attention.

As for the migratory bees, one hopes harmful pesticides will not be applied while they are there. You probably should not be mating virgin queens while those migratory drones are present as you don't know what genetics you're dealing with. And if swarm season happens while the migratories are present, it will probably pay you to set out swarm traps on your property.

#5 ·
I would not expect any problems. remember a commercial is making his living from his bees and if he does a poor job he would soon be out of business. the worry about being close to a commercial is way over blown. I would worry more about being close to a hobby guy.

#8 ·
Why crazy? (I get that the phrase 'mating virgin queens' is redundant - I was trying to be clear) I don't know where the queens heading the migratory hives came from or what traits (if any) were selected for. They may be great. They may not be. Some commercials run extremely aggressive bees (per conversation with grower.) As virgins typically do not mate with drones from their own hive, I have to presume that they would mate with drones from the migratory hives. I choose not to take the risk and encourage others not to as well.

#9 ·
I probably wouldn't keep bees around orchards or migratory bees. Too much risk of honey contamination. The migratory bees will bring who knows what new virulent viral strains that they pick up along the way from other areas/migratory operations. I would move my bees to a different yard to keep some separation from migratory bees. But its not just migratory operations that pose a risk. Bringing in packages and even queens spread virus around as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.