Queen released inside package?

Default Queen released inside package?

I wonder if somebody can give me a couple tips on this, I'm sure it has been discussed somewhere before but can't find a thread that answers it.

I recieved my first package of the year on Monday, which turned out to be the same day a late-season blizzard followed by a 3-day cold snap moved through, I decided to hold the package in my basement for a few days and install it tomorrow (when it might be wet but at least it will be in the mid-high 50s). I've been spraying them with 1:1 syrup with HBH intermittently (mostly on the screens), and the basement is about 55deg so they have been relatively quiet. When I've put in packages before though they usually eat through the candy plug in about 3 days, so I'm wondering if the queen might already be released and just sitting in the middle of the cluster (or do they put the cage in there without bee-access to the plug until opened?). Anyway if there's a possibility the queen is out already are there any special tips for installing the package differently to avoid the chance of rolling her in the process?

Thanks in advance
    -Nathan.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queen released inside package?

The candy normally has a tape or cork protecting the candy. If that queen has been with her colony those extra days, i would poke abig nail thru the candy to get her released faster and laying. Your package is dying of old age every day.

Default Re: Queen released inside package?

Yeah thanks forgot about the cork, good point about helping the process along, hopefully they've gotten used to her smell by now.