The Beeinformed Survey Is Now Taking Answers -- Please Complete It
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Beeinformed Survey Is Now Taking Answers -- Please Complete It

The Beeinformed Survey is now taking answers. This survey and the related work by the Beeinformed Partnership will eventually lead to a body evidence that will help identify best practices for beekeepers that are sorely lacking compared to other agricultural activities. However, the more data they collect, and the better that data is, the better the information will be for beekeepers to use.

It took me about 30 minutes. You can complete it online at https://beeinformed.org/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: The Beeinformed Survey Is Now Taking Answers -- Please Complete It

I just plowed through mine since the followup calls are already beginning. Data is good but I think the length of this one is getting a bit excessive.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I love the survey, but unfortunately suffered a computer mishap halfway through the management part and as I understand it, I can't now go back and repeat it to get it done completely. I emailed with details to ask if they can somehow censor my partial data and allow me another chance, but haven't heard back.

Oh well, if the percentage of dead hives goes up this year, then it's just because they can't use my zero losses to balance out the deadouts. (Actually I think the winter loss-rate will be unusually low due to the weather this past year. It will probably swing back next winter.)

It's worth the time it takes, IMO. I always study the results and tweak my practices based on that data.

Enj.

I like it, but not without flaws, for example they ask you the total ammount of hives you have and define a hive a a queenright colony. I take this to include nucs. Well, what if you spit off nucs late and they have time to build up but run out of time to grow and you end up combining hives? At the end of the yr they are counted as losses so this yr my "losses" will show higher than what I consider to be losses because those that I combined survived just fine.

I dropped out, I have filled out the survey faithfully since day 1, unfortunately the last two results they posted didn't include my data so I asked them in an email why. I really don't like dead silence, so I will start posting again when they tell me why they are not using my data. I really don't want to waste my time.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Yep, and I too have always added comments and have never received a reply. Maybe it's because my losses don't reflect the survey results. Not even close...not ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    I like it, but not without flaws, for example they ask you the total ammount of hives you have and define a hive a a queenright colony. I take this to include nucs. Well, what if you spit off nucs late and they have time to build up but run out of time to grow and you end up combining hives? At the end of the yr they are counted as losses so this yr my "losses" will show higher than what I consider to be losses because those that I combined survived just fine.
    You could include those losses in the "summer" losses...supposedly 25% according to last year's survey. I guess that's one way to boost the doom and gloom noise.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    I dropped out, I have filled out the survey faithfully since day 1, unfortunately the last two results they posted didn't include my data so I asked them in an email why. I really don't like dead silence, so I will start posting again when they tell me why they are not using my data. I really don't want to waste my time.
    How can you tell your data wasn't included? Is it unique?
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    You could include those losses in the "summer" losses...supposedly 25% according to last year's survey. I guess that's one way to boost the doom and gloom noise.
    that is exactly what they are doing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Yes, thats a problem I have in accurately answering the survey. We typically wrap up our nucing operation in late March to early April. I struggle with how to classify a nuc until we confirm they have successfully mated a new queen. I hate to classify the 10% or so that don't successfully "catch" a queen as a summer loss. Then there are the "baby nucs" that many are raising mated queens in this time of year but will later break back down into production hives.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    How can you tell your data wasn't included? Is it unique?
    it's really not hard, the last report I was in the 50-99 hives category, and since the winter was so nice and easy, and I could get to my hives, I treated with apivar and reported it.
    There are no results for the north east as not enough people reported, so I looked at the national results, no one with 50-99 hives reported using apivar. ie my results are missing.
    I had also noticed that my results were missing from the previous report, but don't ask me how I knew now, that was last year. So not wanting to waste my time I asked them to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong, no reply, so when the new one came out, I asked again, no reply, so my only answer is either they don't like my data, they don't like my wildbranch name, or they are cooking the books or they really don't care if they get data as long as the money keeps rolling in. But just to be fair, I will send a link to this thread to the same email they provide, maybe if a few others also send it they may react.
    mike syracuse ny

I wonder how many people are actually keeping track of their operations to the detail the survey asks. How long does it take BIP to get people to track these numbers?

I'm not going to bother doing the survey because "I don't know." would be my answer to most of the questions about how many. I'm sure that someone who is really interested in keeping track of such things would, but that ain't me.
    Mark Berninghausen

Mike, aka wildbranch, I don't know what's going on with the lack of response. I had the same experience regarding a pollen analysis report. I wondered where something could have come from. Got no answer. I don't know what's going on there.

I should have asked about that when I toured their lab. But it didn't occur to me at the time.
    Mark Berninghausen

They don't require an answer for every question. When I got to the section where they ask what percentage of time is spent on various beekeeping activities I decided it would be better to not answer than to start making stuff up.

I wonder how many inexperienced beekeepers actually know why a colony died? I expect many will blame everything but varroa, which, IMO is the biggest killer of honeybees.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    I wonder how many inexperienced beekeepers actually know why a colony died? I expect many will blame everything but varroa, which, IMO is the biggest killer of honeybees.
    Seems to be a lot of reported CCD in the last one I looked at the results from.

Honestly, I have never got any value from taking the survey or from looking at the results. I have done it many times, but have stopped now. I agree with wildbranch, some unique data from my submissions isn't included in my regional results. For instance I report treated for varroa... but the overall results show zero people treated in my region.

interesting 8 people have replied to this thread, 3 have asked questions to BIP and no one has gotten a response, and they are wondering why the # of people responding is in the dumpster! or maybe just maybe if they looked at the question they would find out that there is a bug in their software and they are losing all that wonderful data. and Mark, they don't use any people to capture the data, probably do it with a statistical analyzer.
    mike syracuse ny

also interesting, they changed it so now you have to pay for local data, not worth anything to me but any way I sent an email pointing to this thread to every email address I could find

[email protected]

I'll post back if they show any interest.
    Last edited by wildbranch2007; 04-05-2016 at 08:36 AM.
    mike syracuse ny

"and Mark, they don't use any people to capture the data, probably do it with a statistical analyzer." I'm confused as to what that is in response to.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    "and Mark, they don't use any people to capture the data, probably do it with a statistical analyzer." I'm confused as to what that is in response to.
    my mistook I thought this comment was in regard to people actually manipulating the data
    How long does it take BIP to get people to track these numbers?
    mike syracuse ny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast