Photos of larvae at the "right stage - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Photos of larvae at the "right stage

counting grafting day as 'day 1', today is day 9. the cells were brought in to the incubator 2 days ago. as of this morning, i can see that most of the jelly at the top of the cells is gone, and the tips are getting that 'papery' look to them.

are these good signs that i have developing pupae in those cells at this time? i am not able to see anything discernible with candling yet, perhaps it is too early for that.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    FOR WHAT? We all are assuming you are talking grafting. But you could be referring to sushi for all we know as the post is extremely vague.

As a rule the newest larva will be next to eggs with progressively older larva toward the center.
    When confused it is best to remain silent. often the fog clears when you do that. I didn't have a moment of confusion over the question and obviously a lot of other people did not either.
    Everything gets darker, as it goes to where there is less light. Darrel Tank (5PM drawing instructor)

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    counting grafting day as 'day 1', today is day 9. the cells were brought in to the incubator 2 days ago. as of this morning, i can see that most of the jelly at the top of the cells is gone, and the tips are getting that 'papery' look to them.

are these good signs that i have developing pupae in those cells at this time? i am not able to see anything discernible with candling yet, perhaps it is too early for that.

My guess, your cells will hatch Sun afternoon. maybe sooner.....maybe later.

did the second round of grafts for the season today and tried the little trick of putting the donor frame(s) in the builder for a few hours before grafting. big difference. lots more jelly with the larvae and the grafting went noticably easier. many thanks contributors for the great suggestion!!
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post

I'm contemplating a small incubator. How are they put in? hanging like on the bar? how are they all separated and contained?

they are held in roller cages:

Attachment 23987

it just so happened that the rack that came with the reptipro 6000 held the roller cages perfectly.

after the cells are capped, they are taken off of the cell bar and put into the cages.

I use JZ BZ cups. To move cells to the incubator they are removed from the frames bar and set cell down into 20ml lab bottles. As far as small incubators. I have one that is only about 1 cubic foot of interior space. it will still hold around 100 queen cells. I plan to figure out how to place roller cages over the JZ BZ cups eventually. I also use the JZ BZ queen cages so a method to have the queen emerge directly into the cage would be nice.
    Everything gets darker, as it goes to where there is less light. Darrel Tank (5PM drawing instructor)

ok I see where i'm going off track. I bought protectors which would be used in a finishing box after the cell is all drawn out right? so with the hair roller cage she can only come out the bottom.
    I have a smaller apiary and at my house at this point only one nuc so thinking with the lack of resources to make booming finishing colonies the incubator is a better option? i'm also a little anxious about trying to set up 15 queen castles which would involve moving frames from my outyard back to the house yard. with them in the incubator I would have some time after hatching to organize all of this correct? How quickly is it ideal to have them into a castle to get mated? any downside to waiting a week?

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    I have a smaller apiary and at my house at this point only one nuc so thinking with the lack of resources to make booming finishing colonies the incubator is a better option?
    no. a strong (lots of nurse bees) starter and/or finisher is required to get good cells. the incubator only allows you to have some place to put the cells once they are capped when you need to make room for the next batch, and/or if it is more convenient than going back into the hive when the time comes to harvest the cells.

find the page on mike bush's website that talks about making 'a few good queens'. some of those options might be more suitable for what you are doing.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234