No honey in first year with 4 packages, and some drawn comb? REALLY?? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: No honey in first year with 4 packages, and some drawn comb? REALLY??

Vance are you suggesting that your methods and success will work anywhere?
    If you are, I think it's a bit of a stretch.
    Yeah, I'm still selling honey too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: No honey in first year with 4 packages, and some drawn comb? REALLY??

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    Certainly feeding is not mandatory if you don't have any goals or purpose. I'm not trying to recruit or coerce here. I am willing to instruct those who want to be productive in what works for me and a lot of others. I guess i won't see you competing at the farmers market. I am still selling honey twice a month at the market! Doesn't that say anything?
    Sure does,

You think highly of yourself.

Shane

Clearly this discussion will change nobody's opinion. There are those who think they can't, so don't. And there are those who think they can, so plan and manage accordingly to ensure it will happen. Both think the other side is wrong, and have their own experience to back that up.

Well said, Oldtimer. I'm with you !

Steve

True that, Oldtimer.

It is interesting to note that the "3 hives from 2 packages and making a good crop" was mentioned in an article about my Great Grandfather in 1924. It looks like to half the crowd we have been wrong for a long time.

Crazy Roland

Getting honey from a package the first year doesn't usually happen around here anymore, no one keeps fields of clover anymore for their cattle, and that's about all that's going to produce honey in late summer. Our flow is usually intense but over by mid June, not all that much time for a package to get large enough to store any.

It does happen, but it would be foolish to count on it. More typical is feeding during the summer dearth and often through a rather pitiful fall flow, not that much goldenrod locally. More ten or fifteen miles away, not that much here.

There has to be nectar available to make honey (unless you want to sell sugar syrup as honey) and I just don't get enough after June.

I know for a fact that other people can get a decent crop off of a Spring package, but it rarely happens here. We don't usually get enough fall flow for a harvest on mature hives, either.

Peter

I know what I know. I also know lots of things I don't do well. I can't winter without treating for mites. I winter better with emergency feed. I winter well if I wrap my bees. I get a crop if I manage my bees to take advantage of early flows and of later flows if it rains and they are available. If you don't like my gate, don't swing on it. Happy Easter to you and yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmullins View Post
    Sure does,

You think highly of yourself.

Shane

Only a fool would claim that! I live in a high desert and the rain stopped in May and I got no crop after the fruit and the dandelions! But I got a crop off that. I got some alfalfa before it dried off. My methods give me a chance to succeed. Life ain't fair and that is all we get at best is a chance. It works out better if you are ready in case it rains.
    Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    Vance are you suggesting that your methods and success will work anywhere?
    If you are, I think it's a bit of a stretch.
    Yeah, I'm still selling honey too.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    no one talks about the proper managing of hives anymore.
    Find some textbooks from the 1930 - 1950's.

Crazy Roland

For those that are properly managing their hives and doing this.

Any recommendations on texts or other links to further my learning?

Thanks,

Mr. Biggs

I started a package last year with no drawn comb. It turned out that my area is full of bee-favorite trees--black locust, catalpa, tulip trees--and that we also had a big fall flow with goldenrod and asters. I took off one 8-frame medium box of honey and left them three boxes full of honey for the winter. They only ate one, so when spring gets going I'm going to take off the extra two. I was shocked that they made that much honey but maybe it was luck and an exceptional year for the plants. I hope you do get honey this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    Only a fool would claim that! .
    I didn't think you were making that suggestion and hoped you were telling your account of things.

Mr Biggs wrote:

For those that are properly managing their hives and doing this.

Any recommendations on texts or other links to further my learning?

I hate to admit this, but I have read very few beekeeping books. The bees don't read them, and rarely do what is written. I only know from what my forefathers past down, and what I have experienced.

Crazy Roland, 5th gen beekeeper.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123