TBH Feeders
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TBH Feeders

Default TBH Feeders

Good afternoon.

Need advice on the best way to feed the TBH. I just built four from the Bee Thinking plans and they are awesome! Bee thinking sells the bottles in a tray. Is that the only way? Are there any that resembled the shape of the hive ends?

thx
    Last edited by trenkert; 03-24-2016 at 04:27 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: TBH Feeders

You can also just put a container in the back of the hive with 1:1 sugar syrup in it, and the bees will find it. Make sure you use floats of some sort to reduce drowning.

Wyatt Mangum in his book on TBH recommends using a small plastic trash can cut down to fit in the hive, with wood floats or other material inside for the bees to walk on.

Enjoy,

Erik
    In my second winter with 3 Langs and 2 Top Bar hives
    https://beeswitheeb.wordpress.com/

You can build some that fit the space that your frames are in, but I think that that is more of a pain than it is worth. Find a jar or jars that fit under your bars while sitting inverted on two sticks or scrap pieces of wood, and use them. Like a mason jar with a few holes poked in the lid. Fill a small container that fits under the bars, fill it with corks of something else that floats, open top, and set that in the hive. You can get creative and mount feeders to the outsides of the hive, typically on the ends. With a little imagination, the sky is the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan151 View Post
    You can build some that fit the space that your frames are in, but I think that that is more of a pain than it is worth. Find a jar or jars that fit under your bars while sitting inverted on two sticks or scrap pieces of wood, and use them. Like a mason jar with a few holes poked in the lid. Fill a small container that fits under the bars, fill it with corks of something else that floats, open top, and set that in the hive. You can get creative and mount feeders to the outsides of the hive, typically on the ends. With a little imagination, the sky is the limit.
    I have taken the can that came with a package and put it in the back of the hive sitting on two small pieces of wood over a small saucer

I use an internal feeder attached to the follower board. Not the prettiest wood working but it is from scraps left over from build the hive. Just insert a mason jar of sugar water with a few holes punched into the lid.

KIMG0070.jpg
    KIMG0066.jpg

As a woodworker, I have to say this looks **way** cooler than if you had made it out of a single piece of wood. I like it!

It sure beats the cut-in-two milk jug I am using.

This works very well, slides underneath a cut out in the divider board. Fill the bowl section with small clean rocks. Buy 2 so when one runs out simply slide the other in place.....very easy, very clean......Walmart $6.00 each
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have that ! Bought it for the cats, they hated it. One for water, one for food. But basically they are the same.
    Now I have a use for them when I get bees !!

TY !!
    Rustic Life Farm
    -Linda

Well, you can't use the one for food it's not air tight. The liquid would just keep pouring out into the bowl......but the water system works great. Just be sure to measure the height and width to make sure it fits....Also to keep the girls inside the hive area use a hand towel to stop up the cracks on the container side..... you'll need 2 to experience how quick and easy the change-out happens

There is another thread with this same question at: https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...r-top-bar-hive

You can get some good ideas there too.

Quote Originally Posted by trenkert View Post
    Good afternoon.

Need advice on the best way to feed the TBH. I just built four from the Bee Thinking plans and they are awesome! Bee thinking sells the bottles in a tray. Is that the only way? Are there any that resembled the shape of the hive ends?

thx
    As I recall the Bee Thinking plans use 1x12, that gives you enough height that any inverted mason jar feeder on the bottom will work. Our favorite inverted mason jar feeder for TBH is a poultry watering device (the red plastic ones for quail have a narrow channel) with a piece of rope pushed in the channel to prevent drowning.

I made another follower board and cut a hole that matched the feeder. The #8 hard cloth makes changing the jar easy.

J-Rat, How do you feed when the hive is full ? (when needed)
    Rustic Life Farm
    -Linda

The bee's are on the other side of the follower board. The top pic. shows how the feeder sits in the hive, the follower board has a slot cut in it to match the opening in the feeder. The screen in the feeder keeps the bee's from flying out when I change out the jar.

Right, but what do you do when the whole hive is full?
    Or do you only let it be full enough so that you can have the follower board in at the back- for the feeder?
    Rustic Life Farm
    -Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger19687 View Post
    Right, but what do you do when the whole hive is full?
    Or do you only let it be full enough so that you can have the follower board in at the back- for the feeder?
    If the whole hive is full, why would you need to feed?
    If you did want to feed, like in the fall, after harvesting honey, or too much honey, then you would have room again.
    On the other hand, you may need a bigger hive for other reasons than feeding.
    It is a tall, right handed, world! I am neither!!!!

The hive is going on it's 3rd season and has not filled yet. They are staying at about 20 bars. With harvesting and culling out the black brood comb the hive has plenty of room.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan151 View Post
    If the whole hive is full, why would you need to feed?
    If you did want to feed, like in the fall, after harvesting honey, or too much honey, then you would have room again.
    On the other hand, you may need a bigger hive for other reasons than feeding.
    Oh ok, I was thinking if there was a dearth or something, where you might have come but not have it full.
    Rustic Life Farm
    -Linda

I just did a hive inspection. comb on 16 bars, lots of capped brood and a few bars of honey and pollen.
    While doing the inspection on the top bar I saw some scout bee's checking out my 3rd new lang hive that is baited with
    old brood comb and lemon grass oil.

Yep. I use an entrance feeder like the one shown in J-Rat's photo, and put it on either side of the bees' living area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast