Moldy Honeycomb?

Default Moldy Honeycomb?

I had an awful winter and lost my hives. Two of them somehow leaked water and had several inches in the bottom (I run top bar hives). The lids blew off during a storm so this year I'm making new lids.

My question though is that they left a lot of honey behind. The comb though is quite moldy. I was wondering if it was safe to harvest the honey for feeding later in the year (for bees, not me) or if the mold will cause problems.

Many thanks ahead of time. To resolve my water problems I'm building a roof over my bee yard this year and will arrange for wind breaks also when the time comes. The mice and the rain were awful in Western Washington this year.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Moldy Honeycomb?

We had one hive that had a couple of moldy frames in the brood box, I think due to our mild winter. We put a piece of foam insulation in the top cover every winter to help with heat retention, and it created more moisture than usual. We didn't lose the bees and our mentor said they would clean the mold off of the comb. I would suppose the honey should be ok if it is still capped.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrockboy View Post
    We had one hive that had a couple of moldy frames in the brood box, I think due to our mild winter. We put a piece of foam insulation in the top cover every winter to help with heat retention, and it created more moisture than usual. We didn't lose the bees and our mentor said they would clean the mold off of the comb. I would suppose the honey should be ok if it is still capped.
    I dispose of moldy foundation. If the frames have honey and they are not moldy I use them for new packages.

The mold will not harm the bees in any way and the bees will salvage the feed left and repair the comb.

Quote Originally Posted by livysdad27 View Post
    I was wondering if it was safe to harvest the honey for feeding later in the year (for bees, not me) or if the mold will cause problems.
    Why harvest it, if you are going to feed it back to the bees? Let them harvest it & do the work
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

Freeze to kill any potential harmful larva and eggs. Mist with Bacillus Thuringensis, Aizwai (BT) to prevent future infestation from same, and store until you get your new bees. A great start for them!

OH, and By the way WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
    Last edited by Tenbears; 03-21-2016 at 07:02 AM.