Colony Update here in MA - Page 59
Page 59 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1238

Default Re: Colony Update here in MA

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    dysentery is not always a sign of apis and almost never a sign of ceranae. Without a scope done how would anyone know this was nosema? If the hive dies I would disinfect with acetic acid if I used them again at all.
    Thanks for this reply. Lately it seems that everyone that has bees defecating on the front of the hive automatically assumes that it is Nosema. It is impossible to detect without a microscope.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I understand it's not always Nosema Apis but I've never had a hive with such black feces or this much feces or so many dead bees. I guess the severity of this has me thinking it is more than just late winter dysentery.

Would you kill off the small cluster left?

Can you disinfect comb with acetic acid? I've only heard of using it on woodenware?

when you get a small cluster in cold weather they can't break cluster even on a warm day, so they can't defecate outside the hive, and because there are so few of them they expend a lot more energy per bee and consequently have to go more often. I wouldn't suspect nosema unless you purchased the bees or queen from some one else. or go with Camero7 recommendation.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

A few years ago Randy Oliver requested scrapings from the front of hives with dysentery - he checked a few hundred for nosema and found only a couple of cases. Acetic acid kills nosema and I use it for that purpose and to deter/kill wax moth. Doesn't hurt the comb. I spray it with a small sprayer. Might want to use a mask, the fumes are pretty strong.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    dysentery is not always a sign of apis and almost never a sign of ceranae. Without a scope done how would anyone know this was nosema? If the hive dies I would disinfect with acetic acid if I used them again at all.
    You are right; people assume because of dysentery that it is nosema apis. I figured he had a bee inspector there and should have a better idea of what is going on. It could be a high ash content of Fall honey the bees stored? Last year was such a weird year for honey, in my area we had plants bloom and rebloom, and actually had a woodland orchid grow along my driveway I had never seen before.
    Proverbs 16:24

I spoke with MA inspector on the phone and emailed pictures about the dysentery/possible apis. I have an email out to MA apiary dept to see if I can get a nosema apis test somewhere around central MA.

I don't understand why the inspector said to wipe woodenware with 1:1 household vinegar/water solution. Household vinegar is like 5% acetic acid (I believe) and then diluted like 2-3%. That's not very strong solution for killing spores. He also said be careful not to get solution on wax but others say they spray or dip the frames drawn wax and all?

Metrowest Forecast-
    Tues H62 L53
    Wed H65 L40

Obviously never tried to feed syrup at this time of the yr, I wonder if I could get hives to take some FumB 2:1 syrup over this brief warm up? What you think? Waste of Time? Has anyone tried something like this in our weather zone?

Quote Originally Posted by Scitfrostbite View Post
    Metrowest Forecast-
    Tues H62 L53
    Wed H65 L40

Obviously never tried to feed syrup at this time of the yr, I wonder if I could get hives to take some FumB 2:1 syrup over this brief warm up? What you think? Waste of Time? Has anyone tried something like this in our weather zone?
    I would not but I also donít use Fumagilin B!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Can diluted bleach be used and sprayed on the hive boxes and then aired out? This is for n. cerana. Or can a coat of paint take care of it? Deb

Metrowest Forecast-
    Tues H62 L53
    Wed H65 L40

Around this time last year I found some old jar caps and filled them and placed on top frames beside clusters. It was gone the next time in. Might have evaporated but saw a few on it before I could get closed up. Was it enough to really do much good???
    This year used it in my fall syrup. In theory, well my theory it's in the stored honey. Not so sure with the brown snow around the hives.
    I don't think you could keep it warm enough to entice enough to break cluster.
    On the border near 04619
    Zone 5B @ 29m

If you want to give them Fumb, read the instructions and use the drench method, it uses less liquid and they are forced to eat it to clean up the hive. If you can find it on beesource or maybe he will post it, Michael Palmer once wrote about a dry method for using it but I don't remember what thread it was in.
    mike syracuse ny

Thanks for the suggestion. Iíve never doused bees with FumB syrup but Iím familiar with the technique. I wasnít considering it right now as I would be concerned about getting bees wet in the winter and the fact, as I understand it, that 3 or 4 treatments a week apart are necessary.

My current thinking is to give them a small jar of medicated syrup during this warm up on Wednesday and see what happens.

I did my annual late winter pollen patties yesterday and this sick hive took right to the patties. I was surprised by their numbers so Iím hoping they have the strength to make it to spring.

I just hope I donít regret not killing it off as the inspector recommended.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve never doused bees with FumB syrup but I’m familiar with the technique. I wasn’t considering it right now as I would be concerned about getting bees wet in the winter and the fact, as I understand it, that 3 or 4 treatments a week apart are necessary.
    true, but if they really do have Nosema, they wont take the offered sugar water, that's why with the warm weather I would do the drench once, and you don't actually have to put much on the bees, I put some on them so they lap it off and the rest on the top of the frames, I usually only use a 12 oz bear with the recommended dosage of fumidal, good luck
    mike syracuse ny

"if they really do have Nosema, they wont take the offered sugar water"

Interesting, haven't heard that, thanks. These bees are eating the homemade granular sugar and apple cider vinegar brick. I wonder if that might mean anything?

"if they really do have Nosema, they wont take the offered sugar water"

Interesting, haven't heard that, thanks. These bees are eating the homemade granular sugar and apple cider vinegar brick. I wonder if that might mean anything?
    Immune Suppression

Nosema is tough on individual bees, not least of which because the infection inhibits their ability to digest food. Molonea (1998) found reduced digestive proteolytic activity in young bees infected with N. apis. Dr. Mariano Higes explains that bees infected by N. ceranae simply starve to death in the midst of plenty due to lack of digestive function.
    http://scientificbeekeeping.com/nose...about-nothing/

that's why they say if you have a frame feeder or top feeder in and you find lots of dead bees in it, they probably have nosem. Then again the undertaker bees could have put them there also, nothings easy
    mike syracuse ny

Nosema ceranae: Kiss of Death or Much Ado about Nothing? This is at ScientificBeekeping. What it says regarding N.Cerana is the cold will kill most of the spores that are on contaminated comb and boxes, at least those infected with about 10 million spores (my bees had 26 million spore level). I was told to use acetic acid or a bleach solution but in my climate it isnít necessary. Also more info on n. apis. A very good read.

With the warm weather today Im planning on opening them up and taking inventory. Exactly how far would you go?

They are in 2 deeps with a medium super on top, then a candy board and quilt box. Im going to have to unwrap to get into the deeps - which means pull some staples and take out some screws holding a piece of strapping - PIA.

Would you suggest OAVing?

Right now I know they are Ok, I can hear them, and they have pushing dead bodies out, and theres poop on the front porch after warmer days.

Mike

Last edited by MaineMike; 02-21-2018 at 03:21 AM. Reason: duplicate post

Mike, I am in 7a so quite a bit warmer than you are. If you are done with sub zero temps, no need to re wrap the hives. I would use this oportunity to go all the way into the hives. If still essentially broodless, by all means, OAV. Check stores, maybe move any outer frames of honey to top center. Make sure quilt box is dry. I started pollen sub a month ago. Might be time for you if looking for early spring build up. Might also be time to open the entrance reducer a notch. I pulled mine last weekend.

All the best,

Page 59 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast