Colony Update here in MA - Page 58
Page 58 of 62 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1238

Default Re: Colony Update here in MA

kaizen, sounds like you've had quite the problem with wasps. You might be interested in natural predators to help with your wasp control.

http://animals.mom.me/natural-predators-wasps-7754.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    Finally put the ratchet straps on all the living hives. As I mentioned earlier I was getting squadrons of wasps and hornets attacking my hives. Even with entrance reducers they were still taking quite a toll. From my max of 18 hives in mid summer i'm down to ten again. Most of the ten are small clusters so i'll be surprised if they make it. One upside to the dead hives is the living now have quite a stack of feed. There are still some yellow jackets flying in 40 degree weather but not many. The bees were out Saturday stretching their wings in the good weather. looks like for the next ten days it will be warmer then normal. They are on their own at this point. My winter learning/project will be on wasps/hornets. I think I need to learn how to hunt the bugs. Definitely going to work on about a hundred home made traps.
    When you see yellow jackets in the early Spring they are the queens! We watched carefully and killed all we saw. It greatly reduced the number of yellowjackets during the Summer/Fall. With your traps you should not have a big problem this coming year.
    Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    kaizen, sounds like you've had quite the problem with wasps. You might be interested in natural predators to help with your wasp control.

http://animals.mom.me/natural-predators-wasps-7754.html
    Thanks. I'll stat there. This is farmland so introducing bugs that might damage crops is out. Some of those insects are expensive! At one yard I had a leaking feed can that was coming through a crack at the back of the hive. I squshed 232 of them over the course of 20 minutes and there was no end in sight. I have to learn my prey. wondering if I can waspline them back to their nests.
    Terrence

Definitely going to work on about a hundred home made traps.
    These work: http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-...t-Bottle-Trap/
    There must be a harder way to do that... let me find it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    When you see yellow jackets in the early Spring they are the queens! We watched carefully and killed all we saw. It greatly reduced the number of yellowjackets during the Summer/Fall. With your traps you should not have a big problem this coming year.
    I always have them when I have freezing temperatures. going to experiment with a saltwater brine to see if it doesn't freeze. wonder if I can use glycol or if it will smell and deter the wasps from investigating. I would love to get the queen coming out of hibernation. I would really like to get bald face hornets gone. those things were killing just for the pleasure of it. Not even trying to get in the hives. already have some ideas to improve on the 2 liter soda type traps.
    The awesome continuous flow all year I think led to the large numbers. Also in these yards I did have a very aggressive cross bred bee. So I think for my first few years the wasps and hornets didn't mess with them. Seriously I would open the inner cover and 30 would be on me. They all died over the winter so these ones are just normal temperament. Strangely my 2 nucs seem the strongest over my hives there.
    Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by toekneepea View Post
    yes that's the idea. one downside to those from what I am told is they get filled with water and the prey can get out so I 'll be making a rain cover. trying to find the exact peremone/smell that attracts them. others put soda and meat and everything under the sun. I just used the store bought ones but the refill for those is like 6 bucks each. so really need to perfect my design and plan
    Terrence

Finally put the ratchet straps on all the living hives. As I mentioned earlier I was getting squadrons of wasps and hornets attacking my hives. Even with entrance reducers they were still taking quite a toll. From my max of 18 hives in mid summer i'm down to ten again. Most of the ten are small clusters so i'll be surprised if they make it. One upside to the dead hives is the living now have quite a stack of feed. There are still some yellow jackets flying in 40 degree weather but not many. The bees were out Saturday stretching their wings in the good weather. looks like for the next ten days it will be warmer then normal. They are on their own at this point. My winter learning/project will be on wasps/hornets. I think I need to learn how to hunt the bugs. Definitely going to work on about a hundred home made traps.
    I have one yard that was hammered by yellow jackets.... Small entrances and strong colonies worked keeping them out but in another thread someone suggested putting out traps in the spring to catch the overwintered queens.... Think that is a great idea and will be giving it a shot next year.... Will let you know how it works out....;- )
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 17H OAV Amitraz
    Seaside Apiaries

On another subject, when I started out it was suggested to me to do a thanksgiving weekend broodless OAV, then because of recent warm winters I moved it to 12/1. Now this yr Iím wondering if even later would be a good idea? Could Italians still have brood in MA right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Scitfrostbite View Post
    On another subject, when I started out it was suggested to me to do a thanksgiving weekend broodless OAV, then because of recent warm winters I moved it to 12/1. Now this yr I’m wondering if even later would be a good idea? Could Italians still have brood in MA right now?
    Am not sure but I plan on waiting a couple of weeks to do mine due to the mild fall just to be sure......
    Seaside Apiaries

I did one on November 4. I plan to follow up on a warm day around Christmas.

Got into hives during the 48hr warm up. Double and triple deep hives still alive. 5 over 5 nuc dead, I didn't have high hopes for it because of a suspect queen and was first attempt overwintering a nuc. Looks like they got too cold but of course could be mites, it's almost always mites, isn't it.

100lb hive has been on sugar brick for weeks, all hives have insurance bricks now.

Got into hives during the 48hr warm up. Double and triple deep hives still alive. 5 over 5 nuc dead, I didn't have high hopes for it because of a suspect queen and was first attempt overwintering a nuc. Looks like they got too cold but of course could be mites, it's almost always mites, isn't it.

100lb hive has been on sugar brick for weeks, all hives have insurance bricks now.

All my hives (12) and nucs (5) are still looking good so far..... I have fondant on all and a number of hives are working it.... Will need to go back on the regular checks at the end of the month to make sure no one starves.... Keeping my fingers crossed that this will be a good overwintering year.....
    Seaside Apiaries

I checked my 13 hives and all are alive. The bees are up top in five out of my ten Langstroth hives - gave them all more sugar bricks. The other three are in my Slovene bee house. I gave them some food, too, for my peace of mind. I stuck my hive tool into several frames and they have honey. There hasn't been a good flying day yet. The one really mild name was a complete deluge - melted about two feet of snow.

Wow you guys have some good numbers so far. Looks like the weekend might have a flying day or at least a walk out and poop day.
    Terrence

IMG_7595.jpg . IMG_7594.jpg
    First time with Nosema. Looks like this hive is down to a very small sickly cluster. Inspector says close it off and let them die before they infect other two hives on warm up, followed by a vinegar/water wipe down of all of the woodenware to disinfect it before reuse.

How do you cold climate MA guys deal with this? Are you in agreement with inspector? Any way to get some FumB/syrup into them before spring?

sorry
    Last edited by Scitfrostbite; 02-16-2018 at 03:42 PM. Reason: duplicate

From the image it looks like nosema apis and not nosema cerana? With n.cerana I let my hive die. I found out too late that this one hive had it and I’m not sure if I infected any other hives. You can use diluted bleach to clean your hive bodies or lightly torch them as you would with AFB. Any foundation should be thrown out and you can soak the frames in the bleach solution.
    Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    From the image it looks like nosema apis and not nosema cerana? With n.cerana I let my hive die. I found out too late that this one hive had it and Iím not sure if I infected any other hives. You can use diluted bleach to clean your hive bodies or lightly torch them as you would with AFB. Any foundation should be thrown out and you can soak the frames in the bleach solution.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I figure it is Nosema Apis. No way to save/clean all these drawn frames? Sucks to lose two deeps of drawn frames but if it has to be.

dysentery is not always a sign of apis and almost never a sign of ceranae. Without a scope done how would anyone know this was nosema? If the hive dies I would disinfect with acetic acid if I used them again at all.

Page 58 of 62 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast