Colony Update here in MA - Page 51
Page 51 of 62 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1238

Default Re: Colony Update here in MA

Quote Originally Posted by Bob J View Post
    I have seen the same thing with Goldenrod in my yards.... Goldenrod is out but the bees are ignoring it.... Later in the season it's a completely different story... It being a different variety makes sense....

So sorry to hear about the AFB.... Glad you were able to at least save the 6 hives!
    Yes yes....thank you. We are up to 15 which is our limit. A friend came home to a double swarm in June and gave it to us. What a gift!IMG_0785.jpg
    Proverbs 16:24

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    Yes yes....thank you. We are up to 15 which is our limit. A friend came home to a double swarm in June and gave it to us. What a gift!IMG_0785.jpg
    Very nice!
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 17H OAV Amitraz
    Seaside Apiaries

Got a call for a bee tree that a local tree company ran into during a removal... When I got there found out that the colony had been sprayed with bifentherine. The reaction at site was pretty much what you would have expected with the vast majority of them dead or dying....:-(

From the size and age of the comb it was pretty obvious this was a long established colony....

Bee Tree.jpg
    Seaside Apiaries

Well, it's nice to know there are feral colonies thriving out there...

I hope you used this as a teaching opportunity.......

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    Well, it's nice to know there are feral colonies thriving out there...

I hope you used this as a teaching opportunity.......
    Unfortunately only the homeowner was there when we arrived..... Good thing too as I was not in the greatest of moods..... Pretty stupid move by folks that should have known better!
    Seaside Apiaries

Maybe we could invite some beekeepers to send that company free instructional information on honeybees.

Anybody getting any honey out there? Crappy year in Blackstone valley...

No, not much honey here in the Monadnock Region. I have four production hives and twelve nukes. Not planning on taking anything from the nucs, but I thought I would get a reasonable amount from the big hives. I am concerned about them having enough for winter after last year's horrible fall flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mefco View Post
    Anybody getting any honey out there? Crappy year in Blackstone valley...
    It's one of the better years I can remember fir not just making honey but also making bees.
    Strong hives are crushing it this year. I've pulled 100+ off my biggest colonies.

Not sure if you are asking about late summer flow ramping up now or this whole season. But, I have harvested 5gals from 2 of 4 hives and left a lot in there. Most of the honey came early (late Apr, May, early June).

Things look/seem promising for a Fall flow here in Metrowest because of ample rains so far- JoePye starting to bloom, buds on Knotwood, early GR full on, etc. This after clover, napwood, etc offered some action over the past month though not much weight added.

Mixed results where my yards are so far... Marshfield and Rockland hives did fair with the spring flow but nothing in Weymouth and Needham... In fairness this was a rebuilding year for me after the problems of last fall so didn't expect much. Have been focused on building up for next year...

BTW, knotweed is starting to bloom.....;-)

Knotweed.jpg
    Seaside Apiaries

Awesome update on knotweed. I haven't spotted any.

Have you guys seen much robbing this year. I ran a few wide open all year and no problems. Def not like last year. My weaker hives are reduced only. I don't own screens.

I haven't seen any robbing even on little nucs sitting next to big 5 box hives. I'm thinking because they have had forage resources all year without stop. I've harvested 10 gallons from hives started as packages in spring. Now seems like we're going to go right into fall flow without a dearth. I normally treat during the dearth so now i'll have to start treating oa with the supers off I guess. Also a build year for me and i'm happy with the results so far. After last years disaster i'm hesitant to jinks myself.
    Terrence

Cool nights and warm days this past week. Nighttime lows ranged from 61 to 70F and daytime highs from 72 to 85F. 2 days of measurable rain with rainfall for the month (Aug) at 1.11" and YTD at 22.96".

Predominately Yellow pollen coming in all yards. Sweet Pepperbush, Loosestrife and goldenrod is blooming. Knotweed is just starting.

1 swarm reported last week.

Checked the new nucs and all seems well. Queens are all doing well and patterns are good.

Supercedure hive is still not showing signs of eggs/larva. This was day 10 after finding the capped queen cell. Will give them another week and check again. Hive is calm so am thinking she's just a bit slow getting mated.

Hive beetles are much less in the hives I reported as a problem last week. Installed beetle blasters just in case but it seems the girls are clearing the beetles out. Was treated to a great demonstration which made me wish I had my phone ready to record... When opening to inspect I released a beetle and it started scurrying across the top of a frame only to be jumped on by one of the girls... She grabbed it and rolled on her side exposing the beetles soft underside which was quickly attacked by two other bees. Very quick and reactive and makes me feel that they are managing the situation.

Hives still are showing almost no stored pollen despite lots of pollen being brought in on the landing board. Pollen patties I put in last week are being consumed at a rate similar to what I see in the spring. Several stronger hives have completely consumed the patty with nothing left but a few crumbs...

Mites are starting to spike with the stronger hives showing a noticeable increase in mite drop over last week. All hives and nucs without supers now have Apivar and treated one strong hive with OAV. Two more hives are scheduled for OAV this week.

Signs of a good flow in Marshfield and Rockland this week. Average weight gain for the strong hives is 12 pounds.
    Seaside Apiaries

IMG_6527.jpg

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

Returned supers starting to show some nectar here in Hopkinton. Bees are all over Joe Pye weed blooms and Goldenrod in the local fields right now. Bee are busy and calm unlike this time last year.

Cool nights and warm days this past week. Nighttime lows ranged from 63 to 70F and daytime highs from 72 to 82F. 1 day of measurable rain with rainfall for the month (Aug) at 1.13" and YTD at 22.98". Big storm pushed through Friday but passed well north of us and also hit the cape but missed my yards...

Knotweed, Joe Pye, Sweet Pepperbush, Loosestrife and goldenrod are blooming.

1 swarm reported last week.

Was out of town for most of the week and did not get a chance to check my hives this week. Will update after I get a chance to check next weekend.
    Seaside Apiaries

My latest on the JB700...

After doing 2 rounds of my hives...
    1. I'm happy with the improvements.
    2. It's faster than the wands
    3. I carry a flat blade screwdriver and clean the residue between loads.
    4. Cools quickly if you leave the blower on while cleaning the residue.
    5. Getting lots of vapor and it's coming out every seam of the hive.
    6. I've settled on doing 2 hives, cleaning, reloading and moving on to the next 2.
    7 OA is cheap and I don't mind using more than necessary to get a good cover of the hives.
    8 I'm using 4 scoops for 2 hives... could do one more but I want a good mite kill. Never have had a problem with using too much OA vapor

I can now say that I recommend this product for small sideliners.

Forgot to add that it's not that bad a battery user. I can do 20+ hives with my booster [pictured] and still have a charge left, haven't tried to do more because don't have yard bigger than that. booster.jpg

Thanks Cam. I'm up to 20 hives and haven't treated yet this year. Going to start the rounds tomorrow and dreading it. They are still bringing in nectar in some yards so i'll have to separate the hives before oav. just such a pain. really like the idea of the one you use just don't like the price. only 2 hives look wonky so i'm pretty sure i'm ok as they are still building. great year for me in my yards so far. plenty of weight in the deeps so hoping for only a little feeding is needed. I actually have 8 gallons of feed in the fridge and 7 in the freezer. I mixed it up for queen rearing which failed miserably so I put it in the cold to keep till needed.
    Terrence

Was starting to feel like fall this past week. Nighttime lows ranged from 60 to 71F and daytime highs from 75 to 90F. 1 day of measurable rain with rainfall for the month (Aug) at 1.17" and YTD at 23.02". The lawn is starting to turn brown so things are definitely dry but thankfully nothing like last year.

Predominately yellow and orange pollen coming in all yards. Loosestrife, Joe Pye and goldenrod are blooming. Sweet Pepperbush is done and most of the knotweed is done as well.

3 swarms reported last week.

Checked the new nucs and all seems well. Queens are all doing well and patterns are good.

Mite drops continue to spike and several (Carni) queens have stopped laying. Pulled honey supers from the production hives and treated high mite counts with OAV. Reduced entrances of those hives without robber screens to the smallest opening and put feed cans on the lightest hives and those hives where the queens have stopped laying to promote brood rearing. Did a newspaper combine of the three weakest hives. Will give them a couple of weeks and then start feeding to build up to winter weight...
    Seaside Apiaries

Page 51 of 62 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast