Colony Update here in MA - Page 56
Page 56 of 62 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1238

Default Re: Colony Update here in MA

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    Not sure what the virus is, if it is indeed a virus, but all my hives in the home yard collapsed in the last 2 weeks. They had been treated OAV 2 weeks before that. This is the second year this has happened. My other 2 yards are fine [checked today and they got another shot of OAV]. I'm going to burn all the hives here in the yard and start new ones in the spring. Don't know what else to do.
    Sorry to hear this Cam! What symptoms are you seeing? Dead bees in front or more like an abscomb?
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 17H OAV Amitraz
    Seaside Apiaries

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Weird. You don't think it's something with the OAV do you?

Actually that's what happened to me last year, but I blamed it on the drought. They either absconded or I don't know what, they just lost it after mid August. I had one lone hive survive which started out slow in the spring but is now pretty strong, and I made an extra nuc with a new queen, so I have 2, hoping to rebuild next spring. At the time I wondered if the drought made them weak and a virus finished them off, because it was my 6th or 7th year and the first time I had that many die.

Trying to keep these bees alive is... trying. The bumbles do great, the wasps, the yellow jackets, the hornets, no prob Bob. But the honeybees, yikes. It's like they never became habituated to this continent.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post

Actually that's what happened to me last year, but I blamed it on the drought. They either absconded or I don't know what, they just lost it after mid August. I had one lone hive survive which started out slow in the spring but is now pretty strong, and I made an extra nuc with a new queen, so I have 2, hoping to rebuild next spring. At the time I wondered if the drought made them weak and a virus finished them off, because it was my 6th or 7th year and the first time I had that many die.

Trying to keep these bees alive is... trying. The bumbles do great, the wasps, the yellow jackets, the hornets, no prob Bob. But the honeybees, yikes. It's like they never became habituated to this continent.
    I know, I had the same experience but for me it seemed to be a question of not really recognizing the impact of the drought on my colonies and taking effective and timely action.... This year is much better thankfully... Pollen patties and syrup feeding was timed better to support a strong fall build up, robbing is under control as well as control of the mites....

The biggest thing for me is to get more rooted in recognizing the reality of the situation and not delaying dealing with it... Weak colonies combined.... Shotgun pattern brood requeened... No pollen in frames > added pollen patties... Starting syrup early enough to take advantage of the warmer weather instead of waiting to see if we can get a fall flow... EFB treated and requeened before the colony can decline etc.... Basically becoming much more active in managing my colonies to make sure they are strong, healthy and have plenty of stores for winter...

It's my 5th year as a beekeeper and I would have to admit that each time I think I've got everything figured out something new comes along.... I have found that my bees are great teachers, but hopefully I'm getting to the point where I can uphold my end of the bargain....;- )
    Seaside Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    I'm guessing not, as he said his other hives are doing fine, and last I know he was using the same jb700 on all of them. I would hope he did a mite count while they were failing to see if he got mite bomb'd, that's what happened to us up here last year. keeping an eye out this year, and an ear, and a mite counting kit.

we had a guy at the last bee meeting that said binformed had checked his mite count and it was really low, a short time later it was off the charts, so this warm weather may be contributing
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Unfortunately the situation sounded a lot like the IAPV losses we heard about in the Worchester holding yards earlier this year... If that was the case then there would be a number of dead/trembling bees near the hive... The fact that the losses are specific to one yard would tend to indicate something specific to that yard and not anything that would be common practice (like OAV) with the other yards... Something communicable or something in the local environment...

You might consider sending samples to Beltsville.... I would do that before burning the hives....
    Seaside Apiaries

When oh when oh when are bees going to adapt resistance to those dumb mites. The Russian strain did, so it must be possible.

I'm out of town and only got on line now... answer several questions:
    Sorry to hear this Cam! What symptoms are you seeing? Dead bees in front or more like an abscomb?
    Both. lots of dead bees on the bottom boards and the remainder seem to have flown off and not returned. Found 2 queens dead on the bottom board, so they didn't swarm.
    You don't think it's something with the OAV do you?
    No, all hives have been treated with the JB700 as Mike indicated.

I would hope he did a mite count while they were failing to see if he got mite bomb'd, that's what happened to us up here last year.
    No, I did a count when I treated 2 weeks before, counts were 0 -4. Counts of dead bees on the bottom boards were almost all 0 except one hive had 6.

I saw no trembling bees in front of the hives, but I hadn't been around the hives until they all crashed. Too complacent. They were all heavy with honey, had 6 - 8 frames of bees in both deep boxes and were very healthy. They all crashed in less than 2 weeks.

Beltsville doesn't check for virus. I know the mite counts in the dead bees. Put several under the scope and no significant nosema.

Wow. You found dead queens. Could it have been an encounter with a pesticide or other chemical? Someone is spraying for something this time of year?

so Cam did they die around the same time last year?
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Interesting yard visit today. bees were bringing in small amounts of yellow, orange, and off white pollen. Bees are taking some feed but not as fast as expected. Did oav and bees were more docile then other times I have done oav. just really quiet although lots of them flying. At my home yard I had an explosion of wasps and hornets. I think I might have attracted them with an open feeder at one corner of the yard but besides the ones feeding on that there were lots just getting into trouble. I refilled my hornet trap and in less then an hour I had 30 or so. by the end of the day I have a 2-3 inch floating layer of them. Went out and bought some more for good measure. Went so far as to wait till dusk when the bees had stopped flying to the feed bucket and sprayed it with 2 cans of death. Had to be 400 plus. I then put the bucket which was empty of feed in a double black plastic trash bag and moved it so bees didn't get into it. It was a desperate act but as of today they had not fully attached the hives so I felt it was a necessary first strike. Watched a massive bald faced hornet on top of one hive pulling apart a bee. Looked like it was just for fun. it didn't sting the bee just kept pulling off pieces. Squished him with pleasure.
    IMG_3323.jpg
    IMG_3324.jpg
    Terrence

As much as I hate to say it, hurry up hard freeze! Looks like frost here tomorrow night anyway.

Fall still slowly settling in. Nighttime lows ranged from 47 to 69F and daytime highs from 59 to 75F. 4 days of measurable rain with rainfall for the month (Oct) at 1.11" and YTD at 26.40".

Goldenrod is still blooming and asters. Some yellow and lots of orange pollen coming in.

No swarms reported last week.

Hive temps are slowly dropping this week indicating the queens are shutting down significant brood rearing. Mite drops are spiking which is also an indication that brood rearing is slowing. OAV treated all production hives to knock mites down. Weights are pretty much stable but still feeding several hives that are under winter weight and bees are still taking it at roughly a gallon or so of 2:1 per week no matter how much I put on.
    Seaside Apiaries

robbing by yellow jackets a major problem up my way. some hives putting up a fight while others are apparently too weak to do much. already lost 2 that I know of due to something and then robbed out. 3 10 frame deeps completely dry in one week. must have been carnage to watch. saw wasps of all variety probing every crack for an entrance. applied painters tape where needed. robbing screens did not help these hives for some reason. ordered more mouse screens
    Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    robbing by yellow jackets a major problem up my way. some hives putting up a fight while others are apparently too weak to do much. already lost 2 that I know of due to something and then robbed out. 3 10 frame deeps completely dry in one week. must have been carnage to watch. saw wasps of all variety probing every crack for an entrance. applied painters tape where needed. robbing screens did not help these hives for some reason. ordered more mouse screens
    Sorry to hear this Terrence! One thing I learned last year is that robbing screens only work for a limited attack and can be actually detrimental in some cases.... I found several hives where the robbers actually found and used the limited upper entrance to get in... The hives did not defend the upper entrance but tried to defend the open main entrance on the inside of the screen... When I checked the hives I found the screen literally jammed with the dead and dying robbers/defenders.... This year I did not use the screens but used the entrance reducer set to the smallest opening during the robbing season... Also dealt with weak hives much sooner so all my hives this time of year are strong and well populated.... So far everything seems to be working but as always am keeping my finders crossed....
    Seaside Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob J View Post
    Sorry to hear this Terrence! One thing I learned last year is that robbing screens only work for a limited attack and can be actually detrimental in some cases.... I found several hives where the robbers actually found and used the limited upper entrance to get in... The hives did not defend the upper entrance but tried to defend the open main entrance on the inside of the screen... When I checked the hives I found the screen literally jammed with the dead and dying robbers/defenders.... This year I did not use the screens but used the entrance reducer set to the smallest opening during the robbing season... Also dealt with weak hives much sooner so all my hives this time of year are strong and well populated.... So far everything seems to be working but as always am keeping my finders crossed....
    Thanks bob. I added mouse gaurds on these hives last time I was there and put painters tape over most of the openings to close them down to just a few spaces. Went back there yesterday to find the bees had unwittingly chewed another 8 openings making it more vulnerable. I have traps set at my house and they just never stop coming. kind of funny watching them get challenged by a bee and just walk away till the bee loses interest and then they try again. At least the dead outs were bone dry so hoping most of it went to my other hives. agree consolidating made a huge difference for me as well. I had 4 low performing hives and I took 2 queens out and combined them. those two were not even being bothered by wasps. their population had greatly risen from 2 weeks ago. It is what it is at this point in the year.
    Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    Thanks bob. I added mouse gaurds on these hives last time I was there and put painters tape over most of the openings to close them down to just a few spaces. Went back there yesterday to find the bees had unwittingly chewed another 8 openings making it more vulnerable. I have traps set at my house and they just never stop coming. kind of funny watching them get challenged by a bee and just walk away till the bee loses interest and then they try again. At least the dead outs were bone dry so hoping most of it went to my other hives. agree consolidating made a huge difference for me as well. I had 4 low performing hives and I took 2 queens out and combined them. those two were not even being bothered by wasps. their population had greatly risen from 2 weeks ago. It is what it is at this point in the year.
    I hear you Terrence! I'm waiting until the robbing season is past before I put on the mouse guards.... I know it's a risk but am thinking that the mouse would have a hard time moving in if the bees are in a strong hive with a reduced entrance and are active.... My understanding is the biggest risk for mice is when the weather is cool enough for them to be regularly clustered (<60F daytime high)... With the current warm weather I'm still feeding a few to top up winter weight and still haven't seen any sign of a frost....

For mouse guards I'm going to be trying something new this year that I found on ebay and shipped from Greece... They look like these:

https://www.cutlersupply.com/collect...66-mouse-guard

In the past I've used several different approaches from hardware cloth (easiest and cheapest) to the sliding type you normally order from the usual bee supply places.... What I like about this one is the design is not a punched hole but more of an arch which am thinking will prevent the stripping of some of the early spring pollen I have seen in the past... It also looks like it will be easy to reduce the entrance using mylar or duct tape if robbing becomes a concern which is the main drawback I've had with the hardware cloth... Time will tell whether it works but thought it worth a try....;- )
    Seaside Apiaries

I hear you Terrence! I'm waiting until the robbing season is past before I put on the mouse guards.... I know it's a risk but am thinking that the mouse would have a hard time moving in if the bees are in a strong hive with a reduced entrance and are active.... My understanding is the biggest risk for mice is when the weather is cool enough for them to be regularly clustered (<60F daytime high)... With the current warm weather I'm still feeding a few to top up winter weight and still haven't seen any sign of a frost....

For mouse guards I'm going to be trying something new this year that I found on ebay and shipped from Greece... They look like these:

https://www.cutlersupply.com/collect...66-mouse-guard

In the past I've used several different approaches from hardware cloth (easiest and cheapest) to the sliding type you normally order from the usual bee supply places.... What I like about this one is the design is not a punched hole but more of an arch which am thinking will prevent the stripping of some of the early spring pollen I have seen in the past... It also looks like it will be easy to reduce the entrance using mylar or duct tape if robbing becomes a concern which is the main drawback I've had with the hardware cloth... Time will tell whether it works but thought it worth a try....;- )
    HA those are what i'm running. Interested to know if its good stainless steel. I got from ebay but only zinc coated. Some are already rusting after 2 months on them. those are the holes I taped up to reduce the entrances like I said earlier. I wanted to try them because I hate using tools besides my hive tool. every oav i'd have to unscrew the mouse gaurds and then screw back on. these are so much easier to just lift up. soon i'll be using johno's band heater oav so might not be an issue as its all done from the rear of the hive. One "oh crap" moment with these was last weekend when I made up ten more robber screens only to then realize the wings sticking out on those keep the normal size ones from fitting. I have to redo those or make new ones that are smaller and that fit between those wings that stick out.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Set-Zinc-...53.m2749.l2649
    Terrence

Awesome! Great minds think alike..... Thanks for the heads up on the rust... Will have to think of something I can do to prevent that....;- )
    Seaside Apiaries

Awesome! Great minds think alike..... Thanks for the heads up on the rust... Will have to think of something I can do to prevent that....;- )
    your link says they are stainless steel which is why I asked to let us know. only a buck difference so if they are quality its worth it over mine. For mine i'm going to just spray paint them next year or powder coat them if I have a set up by then. Thinking of making some custom made items that work with these brackets like a mouse guard with a robber screen made out of metal so both come off at once. project for winter thinking.
    Terrence

Definitely like the way you think....;- )

Mine are zinc coated as well... I just grabbed the first link I could find that showed the design... Spray paint or powder coat is a good idea... Will have to try it and see....
    Seaside Apiaries

Page 56 of 62 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast