Colony Update here in MA - Page 54
Page 54 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1238

Default Re: Colony Update here in MA

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    When I watch the bees on goldenrod the pollen they are collecting here is orange. Quite a contrast to the color of
    the flowers. I have no idea of the variety of goldenrod but it's the tall later blooming plant.
    I dont know as much as you know, but this may be of some help. https://garden.org/learn/articles/view/241/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Sorry about the misinterpretation Terrence, I meant they do have a full honey super, they do have lots of honey stored upstairs, they haven't put much down below, my lowers aren't honey bound like yours.

I'll be interested to see what they have done in the last few weeks. i'll be bringing feeders with me as i'm thinking the flow has slowed. Not seeing vibrant goldenrod anymore. This year i'm leaving all goldenrod and not manipulating the hives at all. Letting them make the decisions.
    Mike i'd say to start feeding imo. nights are getting cold. not sure how much longer this great year will last. Going to be warm for a few days coming up at least.
    Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyNJ View Post
    I dont know as much as you know, but this may be of some help. https://garden.org/learn/articles/view/241/
    We wary of hybrids of both goldenrod and aster. They are bred for flower size and color, but often they no longer produce pollen or nectar. Sunflowers have especially been hybridized to eliminate pollen, so it doesn't mess up your dining room table when in an arrangement, lol.

Good, old fashion weed goldenrod is the best, the late, tall variety being the most preferred.

One of my hives drew out(new wax foundation) and filled a medium super and partially capped this past week and a half. Another hive I think swarmed late, and now I don't know if that hive even has a queen...but it still has lots of bees.

All hives have the goldenrod stink. tons of foragers on all goldenrod I've seen. Probably one reason I haven't seen any robbing is due to the supply and demand. added some feed cans on small hives for added measure. most hives look a few weeks away from being set for winter. what a difference a year makes. Last year at this I was praying to the nectar gods for them to just eat my feed faster.
    Terrence

Remnants of Jose off the coast this week kept the rain coming for most of the week. Nighttime lows ranged from 58 to 66F and daytime highs from 64 to 81F. 5 days of measurable rain with rainfall for the month (Sept) at 1.31" and YTD at 24.43".

Goldenrod is still blooming and asters.

No swarms reported last week.

Was out of town for the weekend so no hive updates this week.
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 17H OAV Amitraz
    Seaside Apiaries

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. —
    A Massachusetts man attacked by a swarm of bees while doing yard work has died.

http://www.wcvb.com/article/massachu...-bees/12475354

anybody have any more information?
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    FOXBOROUGH, Mass. —
    A Massachusetts man attacked by a swarm of bees while doing yard work has died.

http://www.wcvb.com/article/massachu...-bees/12475354

anybody have any more information?
    Happened about a mile or so from where I work.... Will let you know if I hear anything!
    Seaside Apiaries

Our local club president contacted the reporter who did the original article and they said that they were nesting in the ground so it's probably yellow jackets...
    Seaside Apiaries

It's confirmed that it was yellow jackets from a close friend of the family.... Media around here is still showing pictures of honey bees in their reports....:-(
    Seaside Apiaries

Sorry about your bear visit, Ramona! It's always sickening to see that happen.

I think a swarm may have homed in one of my deadout hives. Today when I was walking past, I saw a bunch of bees buzzing at the entrance. My deadouts have stayed in the yard all summer, kinda hoping a swarm would move in, but none did. If this is a swarm rehoming, I'm not sure where it came from, or if it even came from my own yard. I don't want to open my hives at this point (I have 2) because they're hatching down pretty well sticking everything together with propolis in winter prep. But when I replace feed I'll try to get a feel for population, and after this possible swarm has gotten established I'll peek in there too just to see if they did move in, or if it was just a fluke. Any remnants of honey was stripped out of these hives long ago by foragers.

Wow, was that a beautiful 5 days of 80s. The bees got a huge bonus in feed, the asters did eventually come out and shined in all their white blossom glory. But now everything is dying off, chilly weather is on the doorstep, and I'll resume feeding, altho they may not pack anything away anymore. I believe they stop storing/processing syrup when it gets below -- ?? -- maybe 70s?

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it... If a swarm did move into that deadout hive, and I think it did, whether it came from one of my hives or someone else's, it seems like the mother colony is going to have trouble getting a queen mated right now. No drones.

Does the hot summer weather we had fool the bees into thinking it's swarm time, or do they go by sunlight?

Anyway, I think I remember reading somewhere that a virgin queen can live in the colony all winter, and mate in the spring. Has anyone heard that?

Terrence, I've always heard that the cut off for the girls to take syrup was around 50F.... I think that is the syrup temp and not necessarily the ambient so depending on how your feeding rig is set up you may be able to feed later.... I feed with gallon cans sitting on top of the frames and the mass and location tends to keep them warmer.... That my theory anyway....

Can't help with insight into the late season swarm... Don't know why they do that but here in the northern climate I would think it's pretty much the kiss of death... No pollen/nectar stores, not much blooming and for the virgin few (if any) drones... Interesting thought on whether she can overwinter and mate next spring... Hard to imagine that would be the case but even if so it would mean that the normal early buildup would not be able to take place until drones are flying....
    Seaside Apiaries

not me Bob....although I can see how easy it is to confuse as we're both snh. I concur with your temp assessment. Last year my hives were small and not much stores. They just weren't taking feed fast. Thought maybe if I kept it warm all the night they would take more. I bought and put in aquarium heaters in 3 hives at home. I used hive top feeders enclosed. No change in the take rate compared to nonheated ones. I put on feeders last week on light hives. Consequently I spilled a gallon in the truck bed and the activity confirmed there is most likely not much nectar out there. Trying to get robbing screens made and installed on small hives. Get the feeling i'm behind the 8 ball on that task. Cold last night. Its coming.
    Terrence

You can call me anything, just don't call me late for dinner. LOL. (Otherwise, it's Jessica)

Well, this will be interesting. If it warms up enough today I'll lift the lid of that potential new hive and stick a quart jar of syrup in there if there are bees. If they are there and they do manage to make it till March, I can put a pollen patty in then, maybe that will suffice for early build up. But, first we'll see if they're even there.

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    not me Bob....although I can see how easy it is to confuse as we're both snh. I concur with your temp assessment. Last year my hives were small and not much stores. They just weren't taking feed fast. Thought maybe if I kept it warm all the night they would take more. I bought and put in aquarium heaters in 3 hives at home. I used hive top feeders enclosed. No change in the take rate compared to nonheated ones. I put on feeders last week on light hives. Consequently I spilled a gallon in the truck bed and the activity confirmed there is most likely not much nectar out there. Trying to get robbing screens made and installed on small hives. Get the feeling i'm behind the 8 ball on that task. Cold last night. Its coming.
    Wow! Sorry Terrence!
    Seaside Apiaries

Found this site which monitors the amount of rainfall and associated drought conditions.... Hard to believe with all the rain we've been getting but according to this there is still a drought where I am..... Eastern Mass is listed abnormally dry.....:-(

https://www.drought.gov/drought/

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/
    Last edited by Bob J; 09-29-2017 at 07:09 AM. Reason: added direct link to map
    Seaside Apiaries

That is weird. It felt like a pretty soggy summer, or at least adequate rainfall. My area also appears to be abnormally dry, according to the map.

Hmm. Well, never mind, there were bees in the hive but there were also still some spare "honey" (made from sugar syrup from last fall) frames, which is weird because they've been out there all summer, so I guess that's an indication that there were other sources available. Anyway, they didn't look clustered, they looked like opportunists, so I don't believe that was a swarm. There were a bunch of cocoons in there tho, naturally. I scraped those out and now I can't wait till the first hard frost.

Page 54 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast